Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

@Mind Character I wouldn’t call what you said a “normal board interaction,” but it’s no big deal. There’s a difference between asking for clarification on a short matter of fact opinion statement as opposed to saying that said person only watches YouTube, etc etc for disagreeing. My feelings aren’t hurt, I’m secure in myself. I just think you’re better then that. That’s Mel Jr Jr nonsense. We’re volunteers with our opinions here, not professionals. Just because I give a short response doesn’t mean there aren’t reasons. Do I always feel like posting a novel? No, I’m past that point. For years, when I started on FF, I posted novels for every post. I’m glad you’ve had the endurance to maintain that. You add a lot to FF for it. That’s just not me. Call it laziness, whatever. Rest assured though, I , like you, form my opinions with the three tenants of scouting: watching gameplay, reading other opinions, and watching highlights AKA YouTube. Any non-professional uses tenants 2-3 just the same. Unless you’re getting paid to do it, you won’t convince me that you don’t read what others say about a player and mix it with your own thoughts. If that actually is you, you’re doing it wrong. 

Alright man.... my bad.

I just wanted and expected to read more than " You really overestimate things " or "You're not right" when I see someone quote a post of mine...that's all, but I get where you're at and why you wouldn't necessarily go into specifics or feel like posting more words. It makes sense.

Yeah I had some full-on d***ish snark that may have been borderline "Mel Jr Jr nonsense" as you call it, but at this point in the draft season with so many debates and disagreements having transpired about opinions I improperly generalized you into the group of people I talk to all the time that are uninformed with strong-certain opinions despite not having any reasons to be that way. I shouldn't have grouped you in with such 3-minute highlight experts just b/c I didn't like your short reaction to my post...that was wrong.

Of course, my thoughts are of course the aggregate of a wide variety of perspectives and others' thoughts...and no I don't get paid for this terrible hobbie...

The truth is I meant to check out of draft talk weeks ago, but need such distractions like this because I hate my actual job...

Man... I just wish draft day was sooner....

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

I can see this guy turning into the GOAT LT in time: https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/4/12/17230052/browns-hosting-australian-rugby-player-jordan-mailata-for-pre-draft-visit

Think @Kiwibrown posted a highlight video on him.

Absolute animal.

His athleticism is functional as he has been a pro league player.

Think of his numbers as a base line, league training is cardio not explosive like the nfl. 

Lt and league are such different sports that you will have to train league out of him as mush LT into him.

top salary for a prop in league is 4-500k AUD so his base in nfl will be higher.

also he is too big for league. Max height for a prop is 6’4” they take too many rib shots taller than that. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

His athleticism is functional as he has been a pro league player.

Think of his numbers as a base line, league training is cardio not explosive like the nfl. 

Lt and league are such different sports that you will have to train league out of him as mush LT into him.

top salary for a prop in league is 4-500k AUD so his base in nfl will be higher.

also he is too big for league. Max height for a prop is 6’4” they take too many rib shots taller than that. 

Are you saying that a 6' 8", 345 lb., 5.12 40, super athletic human cannot be molded into a superb LT?

10 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Are you saying that a 6' 8", 345 lb., 5.12 40, super athletic human cannot be molded into a superb LT?

No, I think it will take 2-3 years imo. 

He has functional athleticism. But he plays league and you have to get that style of play out of him. His instincts will be to tackle like a league player not block like a LT. 

Lt take weird backwards steps on a strangle angle while someone runs at them. He hasn’t done that before.

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

No, I think it will take 2-3 years imo. 

He has functional athleticism. But he plays league and you have to get that style of play out of him. His instincts will be to tackle like a league player not block like a LT. 

Lt take weird backwards steps on a strangle angle while someone runs at them. He hasn’t done that before.

Ok, then how about we use him as a transformational TE?

26 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Ok, then how about we use him as a transformational TE?

I think that is possible. 

All NFL players do weird things at their positions. Olinemen push people or stop them coming forward but they have restrictions on how. They do this while protecting people they can't see.i don't know the specifics but LT use a kick step to get in position block de's they punch them before the de tries  moves their hands out the way and to get to the qb. I don't know what knee bending is about, but don't do that. You are not meant to lean into your opponents either. You have to have great balance also.

Jordan played as kind of a running back and an unblocked linebacker in league. His physiology translate to LT. The adjustment will take time.

Also LT becomes more complex when their is a de, ss and a lb over the tackle. That will require thinking from him. He has grown up watching and playing league most of his decisions are made before the play. And as a prop in league his job is to hit the line on attack and tackle the guy with the ball. It is less complex than LT but has a broader skill set.

He will have the ball skill to catch passes as well. He could be a good tackle eligible.

5 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I don't know why, but if we stay at 4 I think the Browns go Denzel Ward. Something about Cleveland picks and the fourth pick screams unconventional: TT and Waiters come to mind. 

I honestly think its Chubb or trade out. Barkley is out of the question IMO and Ward at #4 would be considered a reach. Lattimore was a better prospect last year and he went 11th.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I honestly think its Chubb or trade out. Barkley is out of the question IMO and Ward at #4 would be considered a reach. Lattimore was a better prospect last year and he went 11th.

In a redraw Lattimore goes top 3 I'm maybe even 2 or 1 

Archived