Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

There is a lot of merit to this.  If you check, Garrett was not nearly as good when Ogbah did not play.  Ogbah was not nearly as good when Garrett did not play.  Having a third would be very good so that there is not a drop off due to injury, and a rotation that could keep all 3 fresh.

This!

its is nothing against either of them both Garrett and Ogbah could be HOF players

You still want a solid 3rd end to make sure those guys are fresh and if one of them does go down you've got some let insurance

its not like if your missing a LB or a safety its not as big a deal as a pass rusher

if you can't rush the passer you'll never be effective its football guys are going to go down

but no matter what you gotta rush the passer 

So not a big poster here long time Browns fan. Heres my thing with draft and I guess you can say what I hope we do? As for QB I am ok with any of the top 4 that the current front office views as their guy. Yes Josh Allen looks like he can be Jamarcus Russell 2.0 but he has highest cieling of any QB in this draft but clearly the lowest floor of (top qbs). I'll be honest I was really down on Darnold after reading he said lost his confidence during his last season at USC followed by not throwing at combine. To me that said he didn't wanna compete side by side with others and he's mentally weak biy after a lot of reading and others views on here I'm opening up on him. He's young but my view is he has 2nd highest ceiling only behind Allen imo but I also think he has the 2nd highest floor only behind Rosen imo. So to me Darnold should be the pick at 1. As for 4 if I was picking and no trade was available if both Barkley and Chubb were available I would take Barkley for the peer fact I believe he would help Darnold more then the defensive guy could. I think Chubb is a bit overrated with things I've read recently saying he's better the Garrett coming out. But if garrett were to stay healthy and we took Chubb he could potentially be a 9-12 sack guy for the fact Garrett is gonna draw the extra blocker most of the time. Either way I'm excited and scared to death of draft day. Bay Area guy says go dawg pound. Love all you guys on the site 

28 minutes ago, BaYArEa32 said:

So not a big poster here long time Browns fan. Heres my thing with draft and I guess you can say what I hope we do? As for QB I am ok with any of the top 4 that the current front office views as their guy. Yes Josh Allen looks like he can be Jamarcus Russell 2.0 but he has highest cieling of any QB in this draft but clearly the lowest floor of (top qbs). I'll be honest I was really down on Darnold after reading he said lost his confidence during his last season at USC followed by not throwing at combine. To me that said he didn't wanna compete side by side with others and he's mentally weak biy after a lot of reading and others views on here I'm opening up on him. He's young but my view is he has 2nd highest ceiling only behind Allen imo but I also think he has the 2nd highest floor only behind Rosen imo. So to me Darnold should be the pick at 1. As for 4 if I was picking and no trade was available if both Barkley and Chubb were available I would take Barkley for the peer fact I believe he would help Darnold more then the defensive guy could. I think Chubb is a bit overrated with things I've read recently saying he's better the Garrett coming out. But if garrett were to stay healthy and we took Chubb he could potentially be a 9-12 sack guy for the fact Garrett is gonna draw the extra blocker most of the time. Either way I'm excited and scared to death of draft day. Bay Area guy says go dawg pound. Love all you guys on the site 

Welcome to the forum, bud.

Here’s your first like!

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Mayfield is an inch shorter than Aaron Rodgers, lets not get carried away. Why would he be a system QB, because he is decisive and accurately delivers the ball with zip quickly before pressure reaches him? Also has a very accurate deep ball. Mayfield probably isn't right for Hue's system because he will get benched after going 13-15 for 182 yards a TD and no INT before getting benched at halftime. In other words, he doesn't take enough chances for what our offense wanted the last 2 years. But then, Hue likes the high turnover guys so of those I do hope it's Darnold or Rosen. Tyrod will drive him crazy and we'll see the rookie sooner than later.

Well we might as well call it in now then if that's how it's going to go down. Mayfield sounds like the perfect player. One thing I can go with, if Mayfield goes 13-15 for 182, a TD and no picks by halftime, I'll be on board.

58 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Well we might as well call it in now then if that's how it's going to go down. Mayfield sounds like the perfect player. One thing I can go with, if Mayfield goes 13-15 for 182, a TD and no picks by halftime, I'll be on board.

Mayfield is where Donald will be in two years. So why take Darnold you ask ? Because Darnold could develop past what mayfiekd is. Mayfield is what he is and he’s already peaked 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

Mayfield is where Donald will be in two years. So why take Darnold you ask ? Because Darnold could develop past what mayfiekd is. Mayfield is what he is and he’s already peaked 

To be honest, I don't see the comparison between the two. Everyone knows my feelings on Darnold's pro potential and Mayfield's pro potential.

I would agree with you though that Sam Darnold is only 20 and a two year starter. Baker Mayfield is 23 and has played four years. That matters a lot to me. Especially given that Tyrod Taylor will be our starter this year.

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Exactly my point. Not only is it insurance for heath + freshness of players--but its also better from a gameplan standpoint that teams cannot double or focus on taking one of them away. It will make the game easier for all 3 of them to face more 1v1 scenarios. 

Same with @DizzyDean with this idea. 

Having 3legit DEs like Garrett Ogbah and Chubb would be special. With the way the nfl game is, having 3 pass rushers like that would greatly benefit the Browns. They can create a Line up if Garrett Ogunjobi Ogbah and Chubb and just devastate/overwhelm an offensive line. Or set up a 3 man rotation of Ogbah Garrett and Chubb where one of them is fresh. Would you want to be a RT and it’s the 7-8th play of a drive and you are now facing a fresh Garrett Ogbah of Chubb. They could stall a lot of drives like that. Hell getting a guy like Chubb could allow Garrett to line up against RTs more and abuse them or allow him to play inside more as a mismatch with out sacrificing outside play because your 2&3 DE would be 1&2 for other teams. Hell even getting a guy like Chubb might have Ogbah make a career projection change to a 3Tech like Tuck did with the Giants.  

Also having a DL like that makes the pass defense so much better because now they can constantly keep 7 in coverage if wanted to. 

11 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

To be honest, I don't see the comparison between the two. Everyone knows my feelings on Darnold's pro potential and Mayfield's pro potential.

I would agree with you though that Sam Darnold is only 20 and a two year starter. Baker Mayfield is 23 and has played four years. That matters a lot to me. Especially given that Tyrod Taylor will be our starter this year.

What I’m trying to say is Darnold can be just as accurate and have the same production as mayfield with two years of quality coaching and experience under his belt. But with more potential. He’s bigger. Faster. Stronger. Just as durable. I’d say better arm. Maybe not as advanced football IQ wise yet but he can get there. Honestly I think Darnold as the potential to be Rodgers good. Where as mayfield is mayfield. What u see now is what u get. It’s not a knock. I just don’t see him becoming more then what he is. Like mayfield reminds me of Jeff Garcia. 

7 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

What I’m trying to say is Darnold can be just as accurate and have the same production as mayfield with two years of quality coaching and experience under his belt. But with more potential. He’s bigger. Faster. Stronger. Just as durable. I’d say better arm. Maybe not as advanced football IQ wise yet but he can get there. Honestly I think Darnold as the potential to be Rodgers good. Where as mayfield is mayfield. What u see now is what u get. It’s not a knock. I just don’t see him becoming more then what he is. Like mayfield reminds me of Jeff Garcia. 

I agree with you. I think you might have misread my initial post where I was being sarcastic about Mayfield being the perfect player. I don't like him. I don't think he'll be good.

I'm all-in on Darnold for many of the reasons you state. And also Rosen. If we drafted him, I'd be ecstatic. I'd be worried about the durability and how much he'll invest into the game, but from a talent perspective, those are the two QBs I would be happy with.

Anyone else and I'd be gutted, believing we've just drafted the next bust QB for the Browns. I'd learn to get on board but can't pretend that wouldn't be my initial feelings.

Assuming that we don't get Barkley at #4, I'd really like Guice, and if not him, then Penny. I don't love Ronald Jones as I think that he's very comparable to Duke Johnson, and I'm not sold on John Kelly for a variety of reasons. If we go with a mid-round guy, then I like Nick Chubb. Sony Michele is an intriguing guy who is explosive and a nice dual threat RB, but he does have some fumbling concerns.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Assuming that we don't get Barkley at #4, I'd really like Guice, and if not him, then Penny. I don't love Ronald Jones as I think that he's very comparable to Duke Johnson, and I'm not sold on John Kelly for a variety of reasons. If we go with a mid-round guy, then I like Nick Chubb. Sony Michele is an intriguing guy who is explosive and a nice dual threat RB, but he does have some fumbling concerns.

Agree with pretty much all of that. RoJo can’t catch and isn’t a power guy. I like Penny (probably because we went to the same school). He hasn’t got a ton of wiggle but he’s got a nice ability for lateral movement to find his hole and then burst through it. He’s got good vision and better athleticism/power mix than given credit for. I think Sony Michel will be good. Got some Kamara-type versatility to him.

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Yeah that’s the comp I keep coming back to with Mayfield also. I think a little bit stronger armed Garcia is perfect. We’ll get flack for that I’m sure but Garcia at his peak was pretty good. Btw I’m not talking Browns Garcia. 

9 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I agree with you on the depth of this DE class versus DB's, but you're overrating Chubb. He's not a 10+ sack guy. Maybe he'll have his Kamerion Wimbley rookie year-type of season once, but this isn't an elite DE prospect who people are going to consider a no-doubt HOF player if he stays healthy. Chubb is not Myles Garrett nor Joey Bosa. He's above average, he's a safe pick, but he's never going to dominate a game like Garrett could. So, one could make the case that he's not even worth the #4 pick. I think he'll have a long career as a very solid player, but he's truly nothing special.

I completely disagree with this. He’s easily a 10+ sack a year guy. Although I think Bosa is a better player Chubb is not far behind him. 

Archived