Bears Offseason Tracker

WindyCity

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My main problem with this is that they do not need the money.

Free Agency is clearly not Pace's strength so why make another need than the massive ones you have already?

Maybe Pace is gearing up for a big splash in free agency? We have seen that flop before.

You act like Pace made this move without a) having plans (plural) in place and b) consulting with Nagy, Helfrich and Hiestand, and that’s just not the case. Results may be a mixed bag but you can’t really argue at all that every move Pace makes is very calculated. Let’s see the next move or moves.

I have no doubts that Pace has a plan.

What I am saying is it is hard to have faith in Pace's free agency "plans". To this point he has "plans" and either been rejected or struggled to find adequate replacements for the players he has released or attempted to sign.

I agree we need to wait till the move to replace Sitton, but it is more that realistic to have some serious doubts about the "plan".

16 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The Epstein model does not correlate 2 moves.  You view each move on its own merit, and idk anyone who would tell you that Sitton was a top 5 OG last year bc he wasnt.  He was probably in the 12-15 range which obviously is still more than serviceable, but again not the all pro he was a few years ago.  Sitton and his $8M hit are stoppers.  They are blocking the team from getting younger and continuing to build the core.  If you dont like the Epstein model, there is also the Bernstein model, does this move get you any closer to winning a championship.  Paying an 31 yo declining player $8M simply does not.

The championship goes through Trubisky. Any move that weakens his protection, especially in his first full season, is a bad move. Saving a couple of million on a worse OG will be poor comfort if Trubisky goes down.

I understand the move, but I don't like it. Pace didn't just make the move without a few options laid out but I'd rather keep Sitton until the replacement is already signed. It would suck for Sitton as the market would already have had a lot of demand met, but if he is willing to take a pay cut there would be a contender willing to take him on. Declining or not, he still was the best OL we had overall last year IMO. Long was injured and played ok, Whitehair had a rough start but played well overall, and Leno was back and forth (though he was the best in pass blocking for the year).  Massie was mediocre and the back ups were proving why they are back ups. Morgan is an unknown, hopefully he steps up.

I like Sitton, but with him and Long, they were paying out 16 million dollars towards just the guard position.  They drafted a guard in the mid rounds, have arguably the best OL coach in the business, and may be in position to draft the best guard prospect we've seen in a few years.  I bet Pace has candidates lined up that he wants to spend the money on, or extend.   That money may go towards re-signing Kyle Fuller, or extending Amos, Goldman, or some other player I'm not thinking of at the moment.

The bears aced the coaching hire but are getting an F so far in free agency.  Not resigning Fuller is a huge mistake and I hope that article is just a negotiating ploy but I don't think it is the bears are cheap.  Laundry Franchise tag takes the best possible free agent off the market now we can at best hope that we get some 2nd or 3rd tier WR talent.  We know Pace sucks at free agency and he has a lack of picks.  I don't feel good about this team right now.   

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I like Sitton, but with him and Long, they were paying out 16 million dollars towards just the guard position.  They drafted a guard in the mid rounds, have arguably the best OL coach in the business, and may be in position to draft the best guard prospect we've seen in a few years.  I bet Pace has candidates lined up that he wants to spend the money on, or extend.   That money may go towards re-signing Kyle Fuller, or extending Amos, Goldman, or some other player I'm not thinking of at the moment.

There really is no money concerns.

Now we have an injured RG, a backup who didn't even get to practice last year and another backup who is coming off of IR.

23 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

The bears aced the coaching hire but are getting an F so far in free agency.  Not resigning Fuller is a huge mistake and I hope that article is just a negotiating ploy but I don't think it is the bears are cheap.  Laundry Franchise tag takes the best possible free agent off the market now we can at best hope that we get some 2nd or 3rd tier WR talent.  We know Pace sucks at free agency and he has a lack of picks.  I don't feel good about this team right now.   

FA hasnt begun yet, jeez talk about overreaction.  And the Bears are not cheap and havent been for 2 decades now.  Not overpaying an aging player is not being cheap.  Its doing what good franchises do.  And Pace doesnt suck at FA.  FA sucks all by itself.  Its the worst way to build a team.  Ask the cowboys and the redskins and the eagles and the raiders and countless more. FA should be used to supplement the depth of a team you have already built thru the draft or to add the missing piece to a championship contender.

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There really is no money concerns.

Now we have an injured RG, a backup who didn't even get to practice last year and another backup who is coming off of IR.

As opposed to having 32 year old, $8 million dollar, oft-injured LG, an injured RG, and a backup. 

I'm not sure what some of you guys expect.  Its a business, you need to move on from players at some point.  Its not like every veteran you replace has to have a 1st round pick from the previous year laying in wait so that you can ensure a "seamless" transition.  And it is the guard position we are talking about here, not OLB or something.

48 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I understand the move, but I don't like it. Pace didn't just make the move without a few options laid out but I'd rather keep Sitton until the replacement is already signed.

I’m pretty sure that wasn’t an option. If I remember correctly picking up his option, which had to be done or not done before FA, would have guaranteed a big portion of his 2018 salary to the point where cutting him after FA or the draft would have left us a bunch of dead cap. 

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

The bears aced the coaching hire but are getting an F so far in free agency. 

Do you not think Nagy & Co. had any input or at least consultation in this? 

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

FA hasnt begun yet, jeez talk about overreaction.  And the Bears are not cheap and havent been for 2 decades now.  Not overpaying an aging player is not being cheap.  Its doing what good franchises do.  And Pace doesnt suck at FA.  FA sucks all by itself.  Its the worst way to build a team.  Ask the cowboys and the redskins and the eagles and the raiders and countless more. FA should be used to supplement the depth of a team you have already built thru the draft or to add the missing piece to a championship contender.

No it has not officially started but its unofficially its started guys are getting cut and tagged and the free agency picture is taking shape.  Pace sucks at Free agency.  18 million for glennon is all I have to say about Pace and free agency. 

Let me ask you think when the bears let Kyle Fuller walk are you going to be happy that our GM can't keep 25 year old 1st round talent on his roster?

1 hour ago, Rogerthat said:

No it has not officially started but its unofficially its started guys are getting cut and tagged and the free agency picture is taking shape.  Pace sucks at Free agency.  18 million for glennon is all I have to say about Pace and free agency. 

Let me ask you think when the bears let Kyle Fuller walk are you going to be happy that our GM can't keep 25 year old 1st round talent on his roster?

First of all guys get cut all the time that has nothing to do with FA 2nd of all, the tagging period has just begin, and to the best of my knowledge NO ONE has actually been tagged yet.  There is a 2 week tagging period so we will actually know a lot more at the conclusion of the combine who is and isnt available.  Secondly Mike Glennon didnt work out no one is disputing that.  But Mike Glennon was the #1 available QB on the market last year. He was going to get $18M from somebody bc that is AVERAGE starter money at the position.  Thats right they didnt think Mike Glennon was super awesome.  They thought he could be an average, or in analytics terms replacement level qb to allow them to develop a young qb that everybody knew they were going to be drafting.  As such they built an out after 1 year bc thats all they wanted from him. They got probably 6-10 less games out of glennon as a starter than they expected.  It doesnt absolve them bc it was clearly a bad signing but we have to look at reality and not just perception. Finally lets clear something up.  Josh Sitton was not cut.  His contract had ended but the Bears had a team option to resign him for 1 year at $8M guaranteed.  They declined the option.  For those complaining about declining the option now versus cutting him before the season after they have the "bird in the hand" is here, had that happened you now have $8M in dead money and still no Josh Sitton.  What benefit is there? Sometimes when you are building an organization you make a move that makes the team worse short term but is better for the long term.  Pace is trying to build a top end franchise from the ground up here you cant do that by stagnating player development with an aging player making too much money plugging the position.  I cant remember who but somebody once said if youre not getting better youre getting worse.  Thats what this is really about.

Archived