The Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame band wagon thread!

aceinthehouse

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The run scheme sucks and our running backs except for Chris Thompson have all missed open holes or been too slow to get to the open holes since 2015. Draft a running back who’s more durable and bigger than Thompson and quicker and faster than Perine will fix our run game. Then, Re-sign Long, draft a mid round C/G to develop behind him and Roullier and re-sign Kouandjio for depth. Then, if Gruden calls run plays more consistently, our running game will improve.

Dude our running backs don't find room because we have no offensiveness line .

Morris couldn't do it

kelly couldn't do it

Perine barley can do it

Thompson had like two good 100 yard type games than that's It.

Build the offensive line more . Nelson cam really help out especially if we find a good center .

17 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Dude our running backs don't find room because we have no offensiveness line .

Morris couldn't do it

kelly couldn't do it

Perine barley can do it

Thompson had like two good 100 yard type games than that's It.

Build the offensive line more . Nelson cam really help out especially if we find a good center .

In 2015 Morris and Jones opened up the season going well over 100 yards two weeks in a row. Then, we had Kory L and Lauvao go down with season ending injuries and we couldn’t run consistently. Even still, there were holes that Morris and Jones missed which could have gained them more yards in 2015. Cooley said this every week when he reviewed the film, and he’s said it every week of the 2016 and 17 seasons.

Kelley had 100 yard games in 2016 and Perine had two 100 yard games in back to back games in 2017 despite us playing with our back up C and LG. 

You can’t just blame the failures of the running game on any one thing. It’s a combination of the scheme we run where we try to run both zone blocking and man blocking - we try to do too much - we should just stick to the ZBS. Then, our TEs suck at blocking, our starting RBs  have missed some holes and at times our run blocking hasn’t been in sync or someone has missed an assignment. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

In 2015 Morris and Jones opened up the season going well over 100 yards two weeks in a row. Then, we had Kory L and Lauvao go down with season ending injuries and we couldn’t run consistently. Even still, there were holes that Morris and Jones missed which could have gained them more yards in 2015. Cooley said this every week when he reviewed the film, and he’s said it every week of the 2016 and 17 seasons.

Kelley had 100 yard games in 2016 and Perine had two 100 yard games in back to back games in 2017 despite us playing with our back up C and LG. 

You can’t just blame the failures of the running game on any one thing. It’s a combination of the scheme we run where we try to run both zone blocking and man blocking - we try to do too much - we should just stick to the ZBS. Then, our TEs suck at blocking, our starting RBs  have missed some holes and at times our run blocking hasn’t been in sync or someone has missed an assignment. 

They suck because of the OL. 4 running backs that barley can get 80 yards .

I'm fascinated by the forum posters who ripped scherff, who was a consensus better prospect, and who support taking a guard now. 

But that being said- If Payne and the huge fat boy from Washington isn't there to give s any semblance (Vocab test- http://www.dictionary.com/browse/semblance) of a run defense, and if the Penn state freaky good RB is gone I guess Id be ok with taking him.

My sense is Brucie and Dumbo know that are on double secret probation ( 

and will trade up or draft a WR and happily seal their fate in the unemployment line in 2019

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

If we take a guard at 13, it is just more proof that Allen has no idea how to evaluate talent.

But on the plus side, Chris Thompson is going to be a fantasy king with all the check down passes he's going to catch.

Definitely agree we shouldn’t take a guard.

I know you’re half joking but Thompson was a fantasy king last year also when we had Kirk at qb too. If Thompson hadn’t broken his leg, we probably win at least one more game, and maybe more because he was Kirk’s outlet, especially when Jordan Reed is out.

Thompson is always going to be a fantasy king because when our WRs don’t get open downfield, Thompson will be there standing right in front of any qb on an option route and then he’ll get straight upfield for 5 to 20 or more yards. Thompson also has the ability to line up in the slot, or take screen passes to the house if he gets a few good blocks from his OL. He’s a weapon that should be used 10 or so times a game, no matter who our qb is. He’s a poor man’s version of Darren Sproles and we’d be stupid not to use him. 

7 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I'm fascinated by the forum posters who ripped scherff, who was a consensus better prospect, and who support taking a guard now. 

So you are not a big believer in people learning from their poor conclusions of the past, then? 

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So you’re interested in having $50 million tied up in our starting offensive line in 2022?

Heck, if we sign Andrew Norwell like Lavar wants to this offseason we’ll have about $40 million tied up in our starting OL next year and the next few years after that.

its likely that in 2022, Trent will not be here. 

But, Nelson will at worst go to the Dolphins at 11. I think he can go as early as 5 to Denver (if they sign Cousins), 2 to the Giants (OL is horrible and they need interior OL help badly), or 9 to the Niners. 

If there is any possibility of trading back and grabbing a 3rd round pick, Braden Smith, Billy Price, or Wynn are all good options if they are there at 2.12.

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Definitely agree we shouldn’t take a guard.

I know you’re half joking but Thompson was a fantasy king last year also when we had Kirk at qb too. If Thompson hadn’t broken his leg, we probably win at least one more game, and maybe more because he was Kirk’s outlet, especially when Jordan Reed is out.

Thompson is always going to be a fantasy king because when our WRs don’t get open downfield, Thompson will be there standing right in front of any qb on an option route and then he’ll get straight upfield for 5 to 20 or more yards. Thompson also has the ability to line up in the slot, or take screen passes to the house if he gets a few good blocks from his OL. He’s a weapon that should be used 10 or so times a game, no matter who our qb is. He’s a poor man’s version of Darren Sproles and we’d be stupid not to use him. 

If Quenton Nelson is sitting at 13, the Redskins should take him. Flat out no questions asked. He would be the BPA at that position, a need, and he IS the best OL in this draft class. Build the trenches. I am completely fine with that. 100%. 

Doc, I was one of those folks that believed that you shouldn't take a G that high. #5 overall is a lot for a G. Especially because Scherff played LT at Iowa, and was then moved, not to LG, but to RG. It was not about Scherff, it was about the position. You take a G at 13? In this class, only if its Nelson. Otherwise, Vea, Payne, Smith, Ridley, and Guice all work just fine for me. (Smith would be ideal, but I believe either the Niners or the Dolphins grab him at 9 or 11. Hell, the Bengals could take him at 12. Bears at 8. 

I didn't want Scherff at 5 and I still think it was the wrong pick. There's a major difference between picking a guard at 13 and taking a guard in the top 5 when there were at least three difference makers available when we were on the clock. I wouldn't be thrilled with Nelson at 13 because I want Payne but if he's picked this is not the same as taking Scherff at 5 with Williams, Beasley and Gurley still on the board.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I didn't want Scherff at 5 and I still think it was the wrong pick. There's a major difference between picking a guard at 13 and taking a guard in the top 5 when there were at least three difference makers available when we were on the clock. I wouldn't be thrilled with Nelson at 13 because I want Payne but if he's picked this is not the same as taking Scherff at 5 with Williams, Beasley and Gurley still on the board.

Would you be mad if they take Payne with Vea on the board?

Archived