Vikings Quarterback Situation

Uncle Buck

This isn't confirmed, just Caplan's take he's getting from the usual nebulous "sources" - but what's interesting is that the 27M AAV would be less than the 3/91 full guaranteed offer being discussed earlier.    Guess we'll find out soon enough in 5 days.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-kirk-cousins-to-sign-with-the-vikings-at-dollar27-plus-million-annually/ar-BBK5wso?ocid=st

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, Duluther said:

Well (if true), we can say goodbye to at least a few of Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Waynes, and Diggs within the next couple years.

Not a fan of gutting the roster for one player.

What is so special about Barr?  He's solid no doubt, but I don't think he deserves priority over possibly acquiring a franchise QB.

I view Hunter as more of a rotational pass rusher as opposed to a starting DE.  If you look at his production in '17 as a starter - 20 TKL, 7 SAK....  Robison could have gotten you that, and probably added better run defense on the edge.

And Waynes is just barely able to keep his job away from Grandpa Newman.

I'd sacrifice the possibility of not being able to sign these three to acquire a QB like Cousins.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, Tugboat said:

There are too many QB needy teams, with very little to lose in auditioning Teddy as their starter going into the year.  Sure, whatever team (if not Minny) will probably bolster their position with another QB of some substance (another vet with some ??? marginal starter upside, or a Top-60 pick, or highly regarded developmental project already in the system).  But with how many teams there are with so little to lose, i don't see why Teddy doesn't garner at least a Mike Glennon sort of deal...where they financially pay out early, with the ability to walk away if it doesn't work.  With the expectation that he's going to be their starter, at least to start the season and see how it goes.  Sure he's been injured for a while...but when healthy, he's been a better/more promising QB than Glennon, who was brought in to essentially the same sort of role.

Has he really?

Glennon's first 18 starts -  29 TDs, 15 INTs.  on a crap team that was rebuilding at the time.

Bridgewater's first 28 starts - 28 TDs, 21 INTs.  on a solid team, with a prime AP carrying the offense.

Seriously, do people have Bridgewater confused with someone else? The guy has never been good.  He's a fringe starter at best...

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, CriminalMind said:

Cousins really has 2 choices. a) Wants all the money & goes to the Jets, but plays his prime years on a team not in a contending window b) Wants to win & get good money with Minny, and plays his prime years immediately in a contending window.

I agree with this.  I don't think Cousins is going to try to command huge money from a contender.  Now if its the Browns or Jets, that's another story, but I really don't see him holding the Vikings ransom.  What the Vikings have to do is be careful not to insult him by lowballing him.  But, if they give him a respectable offer, he'd be a fool not to jump on it.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:15 AM, Breesus mode said:

I'd see if I can get Case and Teddy signed to reasonable contracts. If Teddy works out great, you have your starting QB and a guy that can fill in if he gets hurt. If not, you have Case who hopefully doesn't implode. Bradford just cannot stay healthy.

Cool. but why does Teddy get the starting nod?

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Iamcanadian said:

I would not be so sure, when you pay a guy 31 million a year, the other veterans are not likely to be in any mood to take a pay cut, they are far more likely to demand sizable raises. 

Then when you factor in that Minny may well cut a few veterans to accommodate Cousin's salary, you could end up with a very unhappy locker room. IMO, we will have to wait to see the effect it has on his teammates to see how they react to his salary every time a veteran is released. He could end up a cancer on the team.

It may look great on paper, but the reality often turns out to be something completely different.

I don't see that happening with this team.  For that to happen, your locker room would have to be unhappy to begin with; Any player that would react that way is the guy you need to send packing... 

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

What is so special about Barr?  He's solid no doubt, but I don't think he deserves priority over possibly acquiring a franchise QB.

I view Hunter as more of a rotational pass rusher as opposed to a starting DE.  If you look at his production in '17 as a starter - 20 TKL, 7 SAK....  Robison could have gotten you that, and probably added better run defense on the edge.

And Waynes is just barely able to keep his job away from Grandpa Newman.

I'd sacrifice the possibility of not being able to sign these three to acquire a QB like Cousins.

Has he really?

Glennon's first 18 starts -  29 TDs, 15 INTs.  on a crap team that was rebuilding at the time.

Bridgewater's first 28 starts - 28 TDs, 21 INTs.  on a solid team, with a prime AP carrying the offense.

Seriously, do people have Bridgewater confused with someone else? The guy has never been good.  He's a fringe starter at best...

I agree with this.  I don't think Cousins is going to try to command huge money from a contender.  Now if its the Browns or Jets, that's another story, but I really don't see him holding the Vikings ransom.  What the Vikings have to do is be careful not to insult him by lowballing him.  But, if they give him a respectable offer, he'd be a fool not to jump on it.

Cool. but why does Teddy get the starting nod?

I don't see that happening with this team.  For that to happen, your locker room would have to be unhappy to begin with; Any player that would react that way is the guy you need to send packing... 

Teddy doesn't get the nod, they battle it out in camp and pre-season.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, Shanedorf said:

You should send this post to Mike Zimmer because he was the one opining about putting too much cap into one position and hurting the rest of the team. Your post is very well done ( as per usual) but I think the "gut the core" comment is a bit off base. When I wrote about this earlier, I compared it to what happened in Seattle once Wilson got paid. And the Seattle defense wasn't gutted. What happened is that the combination of age, injury and defections added up over time and slowly decimated their once potent defense. If you look at them now, it ain't a pretty sight.

It takes a lot to maintain a top defense, drafting, developing and paying 15 + players over the course of several seasons. Its a game of attrition and having cap space while helpful - isn't the complete answer. Cap space doesn't fix injuries, nor does it stop young defenders from aging.

Signing Cousins will impact the rest of the team going forward and that's what Zimmer was worried about. Its not a dumb move, but it isn't without risk either- especially because the way to win in the NFL isn't by paying players what they are worth - its by paying them less.

Paying Aaron Rodgers money for Kirk Cousins performance will have repercussions

"Aaron Rodgers Money" is somewhat lower than what Aaron Rodgers would be worth on the open market.  Cousins is in a bit of a unique situation, a relatively young, capable QB hitting the open market.

Archived