Vikings Quarterback Situation

Uncle Buck

4 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Well (if true), we can say goodbye to at least a few of Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Waynes, and Diggs within the next couple years.

Not a fan of gutting the roster for one player.

I'm confident with the front office. I don't think losing Waynes is that big of a deal. He's an okay starter, certainly wouldn't want to spend $10+ million on him.

The Vikes will have to be smart in how they manage veteran contracts going forward and really need to draft well the next two years.

17 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Well (if true), we can say goodbye to at least a few of Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Waynes, and Diggs within the next couple years.

Not a fan of gutting the roster for one player.

We're not going to lose Kendricks, Hunter, Barr, Diggs ... can be accommodated with in the cap.

We'll cut Remmers, and get some value signings since all these 4 players still have at least 1 year left on their deals.

Waynes, is not a big loss, and he would be the player I choose to let go, and replace with a future draft pick. 

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

We're not going to lose Kendricks, Hunter, Barr, Diggs ... can be accommodated with in the cap.

We'll cut Remmers, and get some value signings since all these 4 players still have at least 1 year left on their deals.

Waynes, is not a big loss, and he would be the player I choose to let go, and replace with a future draft pick. 

I did just see the post below in the Vikings forum which explains how we could do just that. If accurate (and if it was indeed Waynes to go rather than any of the others), I wouldn't be against signing Kirk.

4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Signing Cousins vs paying either Teddy or Keenum, will mean a number of starters will have to go. On the open market, Cousins will get somewhere between 140 to 175 million guaranteed over 5 years and there is no way a team can cushion the effects of that salary except by making it seem like it can be done, when in fact, there isn't a chance in h-ll, that at least 3 starters with decent salaries, are not cut.

I still expect the Jets to sign him, they already released Wilkinson and his huge salary, likely to make way for signing Cousins.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:39 AM, CP3MVP said:

Not even them. Teddy will get a job as a backup to an established starter or competing with a first round draft pick. Not a clear cut starter

There are too many QB needy teams, with very little to lose in auditioning Teddy as their starter going into the year.  Sure, whatever team (if not Minny) will probably bolster their position with another QB of some substance (another vet with some ??? marginal starter upside, or a Top-60 pick, or highly regarded developmental project already in the system).  But with how many teams there are with so little to lose, i don't see why Teddy doesn't garner at least a Mike Glennon sort of deal...where they financially pay out early, with the ability to walk away if it doesn't work.  With the expectation that he's going to be their starter, at least to start the season and see how it goes.  Sure he's been injured for a while...but when healthy, he's been a better/more promising QB than Glennon, who was brought in to essentially the same sort of role.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

There are too many QB needy teams, with very little to lose in auditioning Teddy as their starter going into the year.  Sure, whatever team (if not Minny) will probably bolster their position with another QB of some substance (another vet with some ??? marginal starter upside, or a Top-60 pick, or highly regarded developmental project already in the system).  But with how many teams there are with so little to lose, i don't see why Teddy doesn't garner at least a Mike Glennon sort of deal...where they financially pay out early, with the ability to walk away if it doesn't work.  With the expectation that he's going to be their starter, at least to start the season and see how it goes.  Sure he's been injured for a while...but when healthy, he's been a better/more promising QB than Glennon, who was brought in to essentially the same sort of role.

I agree. I think Teddy is in line for a $12-$15 million payday to start. I think it's fair to say that he can be a top 32 QB in the NFL. 

Bradford's situation is interesting because the past two years, he's been a good QB, just those knees.  

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Signing Cousins vs paying either Teddy or Keenum, will mean a number of starters will have to go. 

no, it doesn't. the Vikings have been gearing their cap to have a big payday for their starting QB at this time for a couple of years. they just never knew who the QB would be.

Cousins really has 2 choices. a) Wants all the money & goes to the Jets, but plays his prime years on a team not in a contending window b) Wants to win & get good money with Minny, and plays his prime years immediately in a contending window.

With Minny ... the only cap casualty might be Trae Waynes, CB ... who is currently on his rookie deal and is merely average ... but will get paid handsomely on the open market eventually.

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Cousins really has 2 choices. a) Wants all the money & goes to the Jets, but plays his prime years on a team not in a contending window b) Wants to win & get good money with Minny, and plays his prime years immediately in a contending window.

With Minny ... the only cap casualty might be Trae Waynes, CB ... who is currently on his rookie deal and is merely average ... but will get paid handsomely on the open market eventually.

In a year, I'd also argue that Kyle Rudolph, Brian Robison, Mike Remmers and Laravius Murray will be cap casualties as well. But these guys are 30 year old players who aren't really core pieces. That's just part of roster rotation when you draft well and pay big money for a QB. 

I agree with you on Waynes. I think signing Cousins means MN needs to add an OT, TE and CB in the draft in preparation of future losses, to go with the needs along the DL.

Griffen, Harry, Linval and Reiff may be all in line for paycuts in a year or two to make it work.

13 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

It's not nearly that simple for Cousins.

He's got those two options at the extremes of the Win vs Money continuum.  But he's got other options as well.

Denver could provide a good team around him, with a lot of winning pedigree, and a pretty solid payday.

Cleveland could provide a pretty massive payday, but with a team extremely rich in draft assets and young, developing players to grow with.  Which might actually give him more shots at a title in the long-run.  You have to keep in mind, if Cousins signs with the Browns...they suddenly have the 1st and 4th picks (plus a solid slate of 2nds and 3rds) to spend on potential Day 1 help for him (including a potential superstar RB like Barkley to take the load off).  In addition to likely still having a dash of cap space leftover after the Cousins deal to add a bit of vet help.  And/or the ability to frontload it to set the team up better down the road to retain key young players coming off rookie deals to help them continue to compete and surround Cousins with the talent he needs to succeed.

12 hours ago, raiderrocker18 said:

or he could go to the Browns, make an ungodly amount of money, be protected by Joe Thomas, have Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman to throw to, have them draft Barkley #1 and trade out of the #4 spot

And be deemed a God if/when the Browns actually Win a game. Let alone have a .500+ type Season.

Not sure why everyone assumes this can't happen? There is plenty of upside in Cleveland the next 2-3 years as funny as that sounds.

Expectations would be through the roof in Minnesota. SB or Bust type Pressure. Just saying.

Archived