Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Pep wanted to be a head coach...he saw the ability to be Assistant HC/OC at such a young age in the Big Ten with Harbaugh and Michigan as his fastest route and certainly faster and easier to have success than hitching his star to a trade down and accumulate strategy, I don't even get to call the plays, autrocity of a roster in 2016

But you didn't address why he was fired. He either had to be hired as OC or their relationship was untenable going forward. Surely you didn't want Hue to hire Kirby over Todd Haley, did you?

Oh yeah...the 71 year old guy after 1-31 was chomping at the bit to come back to coach Ricardo, Gordon, and Coleman especially after they got rid of his pet project Terrelle Pryor that he thought "will be a pro bowler and is one the players in all my time that I'm not only close and we talk every day, but watching his development is a sight to see."

Hue canned him against his will and forced him into the exile of being paid close to what he was before but now getting to be warm on Sundays, mentor young players, not grind every week like a young rising coach...

Seriously..you believe that...lol

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/al-saunders/225e9fb2-8e67-4594-b7c5-b84de9b51374?qwr=fullsite_temporary

bro al Saunders is still employed by the Browns 

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

But you didn't address why he was fired. He either had to be hired as OC or their relationship was untenable going forward. Surely you didn't want Hue to hire Kirby over Todd Haley, did you?

I didn’t want Hue to hire anyone, just collect his belongings, hop in the lake real quick and catch a flight out of town.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Look, everything you’re saying is accurate, guys get fired, we all get that.  The issue is that Hue can’t have it both ways.  You can’t say you didn’t hire a coach “to protect them” and then fire other dudes for the exact thing you didn’t want an OC to get fired for.  It’s horsesht.  He didn’t hire an OC because he wanted to call plays and he thought he was better at it than the next guy.

You seem to have overlooked the main point of the post, so I’ll highlight it for you.

8 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

The Jason McCourty move was purely an ego move after what he said about Hue, Greg and Dorsey ripping the team in every interview. He was far from great but he was on a 3 million dollar deal that was set to expire at the end of the year. He was only 30 which is hardly a dinosaur in the NFL. At the very worst the guy ends up getting buried on the depth chart or you cut him at final cuts. Now because this is football after all when someone goes down in camp or early in the season we will be signing some burger flipper.

Yep.

This guy knows thee real deal.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I might be mistaken but I do not believe that any of them, and especially Rodgers, had decision and accuracy issues in college.

Perhaps not, the point was coaching and developing.  Scouting reports indicate that he is already making big time strides with accuracy in preparation for the NFL.  Will it translate, time will tell, its a risk I would certainly take.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Seems like a lot for a guy apparently hell bent on protecting his staff, no?

Look, everything you’re saying is accurate, guys get fired, we all get that.  The issue is that Hue can’t have it both ways.  You can’t say you didn’t hire a coach “to protect them” and then fire other dudes for the exact thing you didn’t want an OC to get fired for.  It’s horsesht.  He didn’t hire an OC because he wanted to call plays and he thought he was better at it than the next guy.

Of course he wanted to call plays and thought he was better than the next guy.....

He had the number 1 by most metric offense in the entire league DVOA in terms of efficiency; on others number 2; and also had a top 6; and what some thought was his best coaching job offensively given AJ Green's, Eifert, Hill's, and OLineman, and key backups injuries the year his offense ranked 10th-14th in efficiency as most thought that they would go in the tank.

He then gets a Cody Kessler and the offensive atrocity in 2016 and you think at the end of that year, he's supposed to tell himself I can't do this anymore.

The next year, he has at it again with another rookie QB; and despite him feeling as if he probably can do it...he relinquishes the job to the only guy in the league who has had top 5 offenses in efficency as often as he has as an OC.

Hue said " I didn't hire an OC because calling plays is what got me the job, then when I saw what it was after the first year (implying the state of the roster and trade downs), I thought it wouldn't be fair to put another guy through that who'd you all would be calling for me to fire instead of directing those thoughts at me. I understand them. When you lose those things are said. And I can take that. But I didn't think it was fair at the time to put someone else through that."

Sounds to me like a stubborn guy who has had a lot of success reluctant to give up a role to someone who he doesn't think can be successful

3 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I would not be shocked at all after the trade of McCourty, I don't really think that would have happened unless something was in the works.  Either adding another starter caliber CB, or another starter caliber FS so that Randall can move to CB.  The trade of McCourty has really set of my spidey senses :-D

Yeah I mean I don't think we do unless it's a clear upgrade. Either Honey Badger or drafting someone. But we let some solid depth go even though I believe full well McCourty probably wanted it. 

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I know that...you must've misread... that was my point....the point was that the Saunders wasn't fired but he retired into a Advisory role for which I believe he prefers as opposed to the grind of coaching.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.

This guy knows thee real deal.

So, it's not possible that McCourty is washed and that the excitement about him being the number 1 CB according to PFF after 4 games making him the deity of pseudo-analytic analysis did not capture how he got abused time and time again after game 5.

And Dorsey as he said "went to Jason and said I'm not sure you're going to make this team given the guys we've signed" because "we wanted to acquire more speed in the DB room" and that it has been reported that Jason McCourty asked to be traded because "after being with Titans during the dark ages with a few years left I want to experience what it's like to win and play in the playoffs"

Those aren't sufficient explanations as they don't fit the " Hue went to Dorsey and said get him off the team; he's a poison...and I can't work  with him..: showing once again that he can't get along with good players fire Hue lens

I seem to recall none other than John Dorsey being on the job for 2 minutes before he was "throwing players under the bus left and right, saying we didn't have real football players" and that prompted McCourty to stand up for his teammates as the older veteran as well..

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I know that...you must've misread... that was my point....the point was that the Saunders wasn't fired but he retired into a Advisory role for which I believe he prefers as opposed to the grind of coaching.

Nope didn’t misread, he’s still an assistant.  Don’t know how that’s retiring. Seems like a demotion to me. 

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Nope didn’t misread, he’s still an assistant.  Don’t know how that’s retiring. Seems like a demotion to me. 

You either have been living under a rock or aren't as familiar with what the "Sr Assistant/Special Projects" advisory role means in the NFL and the coaches that get that job.

1. The Sr Assistant/Special Projects role is reserved in the NFL for fired Head Coaches usually burnedout from their last job who aren't willing to be positional coaches and live that grind after being the CEO. They use this role to give them the ability to say "I sat back and learned from what went wrong the first time and now I'm ready to be a HC again" when they get another HC interview down the road, learn and expand their knowledge base, stay out of the pressure chamber, plan and strategize their next coaching move as they will likely only have 1 shot left at a HC job if possible. In the business, it typically pays about half of what Assistant coaches make.

It's reserved for good coaches that can't be hired in big roles for PR or ethical reasons.

And lastly, it is held for older coaches ready to transition out of the grind of the NFL season.

This is the same job Al had before returning to the sidelines with Hue, and at 71 years old it's not demotion it's a rare opportunity to make hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, stay close to the game, and leave the office early.

Again, Al said he'd give coaching 1 more shot, but that he had a nice cushy "Sr advisor role that was hard to leave" before returning to coach the Browns.

Al and his family experienced some losses in the family this year for which coaching responsibilities made it hard for him to be with family and grieve with them properly.

He didn't leave as a primary assistant coach against his will..the transition was something he wanted and was reported on long before the decision was made.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You either have been living under a rock or aren't as familiar with what the "Sr Assistant/Special Projects" advisory role means in the NFL and the coaches that get that job.

1. The Sr Assistant/Special Projects role is reserved in the NFL for fired Head Coaches usually burnedout from their last job who aren't willing to be positional coaches and live that grind after being the CEO. They use this role to give them the ability to say "I sat back and learned from what went wrong the first time and now I'm ready to be a HC again" when they get another HC interview down the road, learn and expand their knowledge base, stay out of the pressure chamber, plan and strategize their next coaching move as they will likely only have 1 shot left at a HC job if possible. In the business, it typically pays about half of what Assistant coaches make.

It's reserved for good coaches that can't be hired in big roles for PR or ethical reasons.

And lastly, it is held for older coaches ready to transition out of the grind of the NFL season.

This is the same job Al had before returning to the sidelines with Hue, and at 71 years old it's not demotion it's a rare opportunity to make hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars, stay close to the game, and leave the office early.

Again, Al said he'd give coaching 1 more shot, but that he had a nice cushy "Sr advisor role that was hard to leave" before returning to coach the Browns.

Al and his family experienced some losses in the family this year for which coaching responsibilities made it hard for him to be with family and grieve with them properly.

He didn't leave as a primary assistant coach against his will..the transition was something he wanted and was reported on long before the decision was made.

Sounds like you’re speculating a **** ton and doubling down on all your opinions you’re passing off as fact 

40 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Your apologia for Hueballl is not convincing.

Lot's of words to portray him well but no substance.

I wouldn't have expected any other response....

Lol...It's like a thriller movie trailer....when all hell breaks loose and the guy turns to the other guy in dire times and says..."Right now the only person that can save us...is your worst enemy..." DRAMATIC MUSIC....and a deep voice that says.."coming to a theater near you April 26th....The Mayfield Affair "

Archived