Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

Minor Niner News Thread

Recommended Posts

Just random rankings headed into the season I've seen. Pff had our offensive line rested sixteenth in the league, but notes that it has the potential to be much better.

Bill barnwell ranked teams' rb/wr/te combination and has us rated 26th. He notes we are more of a depth team than impact contributors, and while I agree with that too some extent, I still think that's a little lower than I would have us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Forge said:

Just random rankings headed into the season I've seen. Pff had our offensive line rested sixteenth in the league, but notes that it has the potential to be much better.

Bill barnwell ranked teams' rb/wr/te combination and has us rated 26th. He notes we are more of a depth team than impact contributors, and while I agree with that too some extent, I still think that's a little lower than I would have us.

Richburg is the key to me. If he stays healthy and plays as well as he can he can anchor the whole line  Of course what we get out of  McGlinchey and Garnett will make a big difference too. But a really good, experienced center can help settle them all down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw someone do a rank of the 2017 draft class and we finished second behind NO. Obviously way too early to tell, but man did we have a damn good draft and picked up some solid UDFAs. That along with the Jimmy G trade will be the biggest reason for going from one of the laughing stocks of the league to being back in contention....didn't want to include Shanny here.

Thomas/Foster/Kittle/Witherspoon/Colbert are going to be the starters for the next 4-5 five years as long as they stay healthy. Brieda should be a back part of the running game and Bourne has a chance to be a rock solid WR. Sure the roster was terrible so it gave a lot of these guys a chance to play from day one, but man will it be a home run draft if Thomas could be a force from the interior on nickel situations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just saw someone do a rank of the 2017 draft class and we finished second behind NO. Obviously way too early to tell, but man did we have a damn good draft and picked up some solid UDFAs. That along with the Jimmy G trade will be the biggest reason for going from one of the laughing stocks of the league to being back in contention....didn't want to include Shanny here.

Thomas/Foster/Kittle/Witherspoon/Colbert are going to be the starters for the next 4-5 five years as long as they stay healthy. Brieda should be a back part of the running game and Bourne has a chance to be a rock solid WR. Sure the roster was terrible so it gave a lot of these guys a chance to play from day one, but man will it be a home run draft if Thomas could be a force from the interior on nickel situations. 

You didn't even include Trent Taylor in that mix. Really was a terrific class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

You didn't even include Trent Taylor in that mix. Really was a terrific class.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about him. It may not be NO level of a draft class, but it is damn good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about him. It may not be NO level of a draft class, but it is damn good. 

It could have been, if we would have just drafted kamara like many of us wanted, rather than trading our 3rd to NO for a future pick so they could draft kamara. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, N4L said:

It could have been, if we would have just drafted kamara like many of us wanted, rather than trading our 3rd to NO for a future pick so they could draft kamara. 

Yep, and drafted Lattimore instead of Thomas.

Lattimore/Foster/Kamara/Kittle/Taylor/Colbert is an all timer draft class lol.

But I still believe in Thomas and think he will have more sacks than Buckner if given the chance to rush from the interior. The only thing that ticks me off is all these unnecessary trade ups for Shanny's "guys." Like the Beathard trade was not necessary and the Williams trade looks like a waste as well. Shanny needs to stay out of it and let Lynch/Peters run the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, and drafted Lattimore instead of Thomas.

Lattimore/Foster/Kamara/Kittle/Taylor/Colbert is an all timer draft class lol.

But I still believe in Thomas and think he will have more sacks than Buckner if given the chance to rush from the interior. The only thing that ticks me off is all these unnecessary trade ups for Shanny's "guys." Like the Beathard trade was not necessary and the Williams trade looks like a waste as well. Shanny needs to stay out of it and let Lynch/Peters run the show. 

The Beathard trade could end up netting us some future draft capital soon. Think about it, K.S. is building quite the reputation of developing QBs, so it's not unreasonable to think in a year or two, Beathard could be a guy that the Niners trade for a draft pick. He may not net a 1st or 2nd round pick, but he showed that he was capable of learning a complex offense on the fly and being serviceable enough as a rookie (from a run-first offense in college) to start NFL games and not completely fudge it up. He gained valuable starting QB reps as a rookie and now gets to continue to learn the offense and develop his skills for another year or two before potentially being an asset to trade to a QB-hungry team. The Patriots and Packers have been doing it for years with lesser QBs. 

I'm not saying that Beathard could develop into a top-tier QB, but he could turn into a mid-tier starter or high-quality backup.

 

Also, the '17 draft class reminds me a lot of the '11 draft class, where we saw quite a few starters and top contributors come from that class. The '17 class kickstarted the Harbaugh era and carried it on through some bad draft classes. The '17 draft is shaping up to be a similar table-setting class, but I feel a big difference this time around is that the '18 class already looks better than the '12 draft class, at least on paper. If we hit on the '18 class, it could help to sustain a winning culture longer than the Harbaugh era sustained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO we are going to wear our throwback whites on SNF against the rams on 10/21. I'm actually pretty disappointed about this because I was hoping we would wear the all whites on day games early in the season when its 100+ at Levis, and make the other team wear their darker color. Wearing it at night seems pretty pointless to me.

 

anything is better than those wretched black uniforms I guess... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, N4L said:

SO we are going to wear our throwback whites on SNF against the rams on 10/21. I'm actually pretty disappointed about this because I was hoping we would wear the all whites on day games early in the season when its 100+ at Levis, and make the other team wear their darker color. Wearing it at night seems pretty pointless to me.

 

anything is better than those wretched black uniforms I guess... 

49ers don't play in a hot enough climate to even worry about that lol. Bay area people in general shouldn't complain about weather. B|

Edited by PapaShogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

49ers don't play in a hot enough climate to even worry about that lol. Bay area people in general shouldn't complain about weather. B|

49ers didn't* play in a hot enough climate, until they moved to Santa Clara. It is consistently 95+ degrees on the field at Levis during the early part of the season, with very little breeze.  

I am not complaining :D just stating a factual piece of information. There is a reason I don't live in Santa Clara :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, N4L said:

49ers didn't* play in a hot enough climate, until they moved to Santa Clara. It is consistently 95+ degrees on the field at Levis during the early part of the season, with very little breeze.  

I am not complaining :D just stating a factual piece of information. There is a reason I don't live in Santa Clara :ph34r:

Santa Clara weather averages say otherwise. Early September maybe you have a hot day the mid to high 90's, but the average is around 80. Not that serious. No humidity either.

Edited by PapaShogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×