Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

39 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Wasn't he used as a LB with the Seahawks? I assume that's what Saleh intends to do. 

They used him as a Sam mostly in Seattle but they said he took most of his reps@Leo when he practiced Thursday. Not sure what to make of releasing Ray Ray for Tank. Not that I was even a slight fan of Armstrong but with Foster injury history, having another Will makes more sense than creating a logjam at DE by activating Tank. I mean Blair showed well last game. I assume he takes Thomas spot as the Leo in base until he's healthy but I dont see how trying to find snaps for now Blair, Dumervil, Lynch, Tank, and Thomas when he returns makes sense at this point in the season. Unless they're trying to determine who to bring back for next season between Tank and Lynch.

Watson made the most sense to me to be on the cut block but I guess his STs play saved him. Honestly the Sam play has been underwhelming so maybe Marsh eats into Harold/Watson reps. But I see Marsh as more of a Leo than a Sam in Saleh scheme, which again adds another body to the DEs.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

This really sucks for Mostert, who I thought had a real legit shot at being named to the all pro team as a special teamer. 

Wow.  Don't think I've ever seen this many guys go down in one season, and we're only about 2/3 through it.  Mostert was looking great on coverage as backup kick returner (set a Purdue record returning kicks one year), and also a backup RB I think he's the kind of guy that good teams - ones that are solid at all the positions, can afford to keep just for special teams and emergency backup role. Too bad about Magnuson. I actually thought he might have a chance to be a decent C/G.  We had to play him at OT where he sucked.  But I still was hoping he'd get in there at either OG or C before the year was over.

Forget all the guys we'll draft, or FAs we'll sign. We should be better next year just by getting all our IR guys back.

@NcFinest9erFan I posted about this a few weeks ago. If Fangio is available, you do not pass him up. He is one of the top 3-5 DCs in the game. 

The rumor was that Kyle was going to be Fangio's OC if Fangio was hired as our HC after Harbaugh left. Kyle also tried to hire Fangio for DC last year but the Bears denied our interview request. I think its obvious that the mutual respect is there and that both guys want to work together.  

I DO know that he wants to be a head coach at some point, not sure how that changes things.

What was the name of our secondary coach who left with Fangio to Chicago? I remember there were rumors he was a DC in waiting. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

@NcFinest9erFan I posted about this a few weeks ago. If Fangio is available, you do not pass him up. He is one of the top 3-5 DCs in the game. 

The rumor was that Kyle was going to be Fangio's OC if Fangio was hired as our HC after Harbaugh left. Kyle also tried to hire Fangio for DC last year but the Bears denied our interview request. I think its obvious that the mutual respect is there and that both guys want to work together.  

I DO know that he wants to be a head coach at some point, not sure how that changes things.

What was the name of our secondary coach who left with Fangio to Chicago? I remember there were rumors he was a DC in waiting. 

Ed Donatell

I'm still really torn on this to be honest. Saleh hasn't done anything to lose the job, but Fangio is better at this, pure and simple. It would require a change back to the 3-4, which isn't ideal, but you make it work. I think that my preferred method would be to hire Fangio but find another role for Saleh in the organization along with an assistant head coach title? I agree with J though that I'm not 100% sure that Shanny would do that. 

I'll be curious to see if he gets a shot at a head coaching gig first...there will be opportunities this off season.