Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Good for Eddie D. Sucks that he got himself in a situation and the 49ers were taken away from him. I'm still bitter at how the York family screwed the franchise in the time since. Jed has a chance now though to try and fix his and his family's past mistakes. 

Edited by PapaShogun

• 2 weeks later...

- San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid has never hesitated to express his disappointment that friend and former teammate Colin Kaepernick remains unsigned by an NFL team.

Now, as Reid closes in on becoming an unrestricted free agent this offseason, he has prepared himself for the possibility that teams will not sign him because of his participation in protests of racial inequality.

"I wouldn't use the word concerned," Reid said. "I would say I understand that's a possibility. And I'm completely fine with it. The things that I've done, I stand by, and I've done that for my own personal beliefs. Like I said, I'm fine with whatever outcome happens because of that."

I really like Eric Reid. Have always felt he was very well spoken, thoughtful. It sucks that this may happen to him, but it shows a really good awareness of how the politics of all this work by him. 

I hope that we have interest  in bringing him back. This whole thing has never really been a distraction from us except for the very beginning, and I haven't heard one word about it this season. He's an okay player, and I like the versatility between safety and linebacker and the depth it gives, and really like it when we play with the three safeties on the field. So hopefully, if he goes on the market and doesn't find anything, we still have a desire to bring him back on a cheap deal. Helps us, helps him. Everyone wins!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really like Eric Reid. Have always felt he was very well spoken, thoughtful. It sucks that this may happen to him, but it shows a really good awareness of how the politics of all this work by him. 

I hope that we have interest  in bringing him back. This whole thing has never really been a distraction from us except for the very beginning, and I haven't heard one word about it this season. He's an okay player, and I like the versatility between safety and linebacker and the depth it gives, and really like it when we play with the three safeties on the field. So hopefully, if he goes on the market and doesn't find anything, we still have a desire to bring him back on a cheap deal. Helps us, helps him. Everyone wins!

If Reid does hit the open market, I don't think he'll have trouble finding work.  Reid may not be the best safety out there, but he's better at his job than Kaepernick was at his when he hit the market.  While I think kneeling was a part of the issue, I don't think it's the only reason Kaepernick could not find work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ataal said:

If Reid does hit the open market, I don't think he'll have trouble finding work.  Reid may not be the best safety out there, but he's better at his job than Kaepernick was at his when he hit the market.  While I think kneeling was a part of the issue, I don't think it's the only reason Kaepernick could not find work.  

This is pretty much what I wanted to say about this. The protest and the media circus coming with Kap are major factors that explain why he is unsigned, but so is his inability to read defenses. If he had shown any sign of progress during his career, he would have a job. The media circus around Eric Reid is relatively small. Beyond a few questions during his introductory press conference, I doubt much of a fuss would be done about it. Then, his play on the field would more than compensate for it. He's had a pretty good year. He's not the flashy guy we hoped he could become, but he'll be a solid veteran presence, possibly a leader for a defense. The way he pretty much babysat Colbert at times this year, saved him a taunting penalty at one time, is the kind of trait any defense could use, including ours. It would be disappointing if we let him go, but we have exciting options at safety next year, in Tartt and Colbert. These two could be superstars if they develop the way we hope. But will they? Can we afford letting a guy like Reid go? Maybe. Maybe not. But chances are he'll be a good player on another team.

• Like 1

Josh Johnson got signed. Can he read a defense? Has his career progressed? Guessing not since he hasn't thrown a regular season pass since 2013, and never looked even decent ever. Yet he has an opportunity over Colin K.

Take Colin's protests away he has a job. Simple as that.

Edited by PapaShogun

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Josh Johnson got signed. Can he read a defense? Has his career progressed? Guessing not since he hasn't thrown a regular season pass since 2013, and never looked even decent ever. Yet he has an opportunity over Colin K.

Do we know for sure he hasn't had any offer? Is it possible he thinks he's a starter, and refused offers to come in and be a third stringer? Josh Johnson would sign any contract, even if he was the back-up's back-up. He'd sign a contract even if he was asked to play receiver. Really, we can't say for sure it's all about the protest. It's a big factor, don't get me wrong, probably the biggest factor in his being unsigned. But I can imagine a situation where he'd be unsigned for other reasons. Because those other reasons exist. There's more than the protest going against him. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Do we know for sure he hasn't had any offer? Is it possible he thinks he's a starter, and refused offers to come in and be a third stringer? Josh Johnson would sign any contract, even if he was the back-up's back-up. He'd sign a contract even if he was asked to play receiver. Really, we can't say for sure it's all about the protest. It's a big factor, don't get me wrong, probably the biggest factor in his being unsigned. But I can imagine a situation where he'd be unsigned for other reasons. Because those other reasons exist. There's more than the protest going against him. 

He filed a grievance against the NFL because he didn't receive any offers. Not even a tryout. I doubt he goes that far if can't even get an opportunity to come in to a team and show what he can do for the veteran minimum. No reports of any team have leaked that they're even working him out either. No reports of owners saying "but we did offer him a chance to come in" once Colin did try to file his grievance. I think it's pretty clear he's being avoided. 

Again, no protest issue, he has an opportunity the very least. This is a QB that for a brief period of time looked like a decent starter and helped a team get to the Super Bowl. If Josh Johnson and Tim Tebow are still being inquired about, then Colin should have had a chance by now. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Didn't he visit with the Seahawks?

Here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713471-colin-kaepernick-seahawks-contract-reportedly-didnt-happen-because-of-money

The Seattle Seahawks have passed on signing quarterback Colin Kaepernick, at least for now, due to financial reasons.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported the Seahawks and Kaepernick were "apart on money" when they met last week.

Since becoming a free agent in March after opting out of his deal with the San Francisco 49ers, Kaepernick's only visit with a team was in Seattle on May 24.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll met with reporters on Friday and was asked why the team chose not to sign Kaepernick.

"He's a starter in this league," he said, per Fox Sports' Andre Vergara. "We have a starter, but he is a starter in this league and I can't imagine somebody won't give him a chance to play."

So, basically, Kap thinks he's a starter, or starter-caliber, and he expects to be paid accordingly. If he had taken the veteran minimum, he would have a job. Who knows, maybe the Seahawks were even willing to give him high back-up money, or regular back-up money, and he refused. It's not all on the protest, it's also on Kap overvaluing himself. 

Even without the protest, I wouldn't want Kap at veteran minimum, because I don't think he's worth it. I wouldn't trust him to win games. Is he better than most back-ups and some starters in the league? Maybe, but in a very limited sense, in the same limited sense that Vince Young was better than many starters in this league for a time. He's talented, has amazing physical skills, but he's just not a quarterback. He's an athlete playing quarterback, with many limitations, and THEN you add the protest, and it's just really hard to justify paying him what HE feels he's worth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Definitely will suck if he gets white balled (h/t Shannon Sharpe), but it is certainly possible. Not only for being right with Kaepernick from the beginning, but for also talking out against the player coalition who struck a deal with the NFL owners behind a lot of the original protesters back. And even the deal is suspect as it may or may not be taking money away from other causes. 

Reid is someone I'd like to bring back though. All our safeties seem to have injury issues and his ability to take TEs out of the game week in and week out hasn't been talked about enough. Seriously, how many big days have opposing TEs have had against us? 

As for Kap, that part about him being wanting to be paid like a starter was quickly shot down. No one even offered him a contract. 

And then for the ability to read defenses? Good thing guys like Gabbert/Savage/Yates/Johnson/etc are masters of that. Really looking forward to seeing how Gabbert develops, he has some franchise QB type of abilities. Ditto for Savage. The future is bright for those two! 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.  We'll never know.  Would he be willing to sign for less than one million like Johnson did?

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely will suck if he gets white balled (h/t Shannon Sharpe), but it is certainly possible. Not only for being right with Kaepernick from the beginning, but for also talking out against the player coalition who struck a deal with the NFL owners behind a lot of the original protesters back. And even the deal is suspect as it may or may not be taking money away from other causes. 

Reid is someone I'd like to bring back though. All our safeties seem to have injury issues and his ability to take TEs out of the game week in and week out hasn't been talked about enough. Seriously, how many big days have opposing TEs have had against us? 

As for Kap, that part about him being wanting to be paid like a starter was quickly shot down. No one even offered him a contract. 

And then for the ability to read defenses? Good thing guys like Gabbert/Savage/Yates/Johnson/etc are masters of that. Really looking forward to seeing how Gabbert develops, he has some franchise QB type of abilities. Ditto for Savage. The future is bright for those two! 

Can't imagine Reid not getting signed.  I hope that's with us.  I think he's a value part of our D.

Oh, there's definitely a chance he doesn't get signed. Don't underestimate the impact of him being vocal on the player coalition/owners deal that was basically a pay to shut up type of deal. 

That more than kneeling or anything will have a bigger impact on his future. I mean Goodwin kneels every week as well, does anyone doubt if he would have trouble looking for work if he was a FA? 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, there's definitely a chance he doesn't get signed. Don't underestimate the impact of him being vocal on the player coalition/owners deal that was basically a pay to shut up type of deal. 

That more than kneeling or anything will have a bigger impact on his future. I mean Goodwin kneels every week as well, does anyone doubt if he would have trouble looking for work if he was a FA? 

I don't know.  Reid always sounds like a thoughtful, serious guy who even  while protesting doesn't rub people the wrong way.  Doesn't wear cop/pig socks, doesn't praise Castro, doesn't call cops murderers, just does his quiet protest thing. He's not a media circus waiting ot happen. Won't go over well in some parts of the country but he's not the kind of problem I think teams will avoid.  Besides, in the end it all comes down to whether a guy is good enough on the field to overcome whatever perceived baggage comes along with him.  I think Reid is that good, beyond solid and could help a lot of teams - especially us.  Please re-siogn this guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.  We'll never know.  Would he be willing to sign for less than one million like Johnson did?

He filed a grievance against the NFL owners because he couldn't even an opportunity for a vet minimum job. Don't see him pulling out the collusion card unless he can't get his foot in the door to try out for the vet minimum. Owners simply don't want to take on the baggage. 

But you can't tell me Josh Johnson or Tim Tebow deserves a shot, but Colin K doesn't. 

Edited by PapaShogun