Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

16 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Foles is in there. He and picks were traded for Sam Bradford and a pick. 

True, but I thought he should at least get listed simultaneously though. 

That was still a strange trade to me. I felt like Kelly gave up on Foles for Bradford who really hadn't done much in his career to that point. 

Edited by PapaShogun

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Will be 30 by season's start and coming off injury and struggle. Not sure I'd want us to spend too much guaranteed coin on him. 

Don't think we have to worry about that too much. His market seems okay, but I doubt anyone is shelling out serious money. He hasn't been healthy in 3 years. But I'd really like to add him on a buy low, maybe add another corner in FA too, or grab one with our first three picks in the draft. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't think we have to worry about that too much. His market seems okay, but I doubt anyone is shelling out serious money. He hasn't been healthy in 3 years. But I'd really like to add him on a buy low, maybe add another corner in FA too, or grab one with our first three picks in the draft. 

Sounds fair enough, though I'm not sure what level you set your buy low meter to. :P

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't offer him more than two years, really. Can't be much worse than Dontae, can he?

Just now, rudyZ said:

I wouldn't offer him more than two years, really. Can't be much worse than Dontae, can he?

That's what I'm thinking as well. I could see something like 2 years, 8 million or something, and the second year may even be fluff (maybe just a way to spread the signing bonus over a second year). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

This is what I always thought.  Bad drafting compounded by bottom feeding and bad judgement if the FA market!

https://ninernoise.com/2018/02/17/49ers-trent-baalke-whiffs-free-agency-2015-2016/

I'm a firm believe in building though the draft BUT there are times when you just gotta sign a big ticket FA to fill a big need. 

The 2011 Draft class was great for us but who really gets credit for it? Jim or Baalke?

9 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm a firm believe in building though the draft BUT there are times when you just gotta sign a big ticket FA to fill a big need. 

The 2011 Draft class was great for us but who really gets credit for it? Jim or Baalke?

I'd give that credit to Baalke. Seems like he didn't give Jim a ton of say in the draft - he allowed him to pick Kaepernick, but I think otherwise, he was pretty rigid on taking the guys he wanted. The 2011 draft also largely fit Baalke's profile of things he liked in players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I believe in the big ticket FA only if he fits the culture you're trying to build. If he's integral to the identity you want to give your team, you go for it. Kyle wanted a versatile pass catching FB, so I saw nothing wrong with making Juice the highest paid FB in history. If you want big maulers on the OL, or smaller and quicker guys, and there's a good one on the market, go for it. If you're going to sign a guy just because he's the best available at his position, chances are you're going to make a mistake. But if he's the type of player you want, and you want to add him to your leadership core, pay the man. 

As for the 2011 draft, I feel like the Baalke/Harbaugh union was fresh and still good at that time, so they probably were collaborating a little more. Jim probably hadn't started insulting everyone in the building (okay, maybe it wasn't everyone, he just called Jed a woman, and I think he had an argument with some random administrative worker) and Trent hadn't started leaking stuff. So at that time, I feel like they were probably still working together. Then, the relationship deteriorated, and I wouldn't be shocked if by the time training camp opened in 2012, they probably hated each other already. So I would give the credit for the 2011 draft to none other than friendship. Friendship is important guys.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Might as well kick the tires on Byron Maxwell.