Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I wonder what we offered and I wonder what they are asking for talib. 

It's funny, I absolutely hate the idea of Sherman coming here as a FA, but am 100% behind trading a mid to late round pick for talib. It's not just the injury either, I also don't want Sherman in our locker room, so I understand why people feel the same way about talib. He does carry some baggage and therefore more risk.

To the last part of that tweet, talib doesn't have a choice of if/where he gets traded as opposed to just being released. I guess a team would be extremely foolish to bring in a malcontent talib onto their roster, but I have a hard time thinking he would be unhappy here. 

I wonder if that means they are trying to clear cap space for Kirk and if they will be more or less willing to deal him on draft day if Kirk doesn't sign there 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well damn lol.

I thought he would be one of the guys getting an extension, but now we're paying him and Garcon decent amount of money. Can't see us going after Robinson or Watkins now. 

Yeah I agree I don't see us going after and paying a 3rd WR decent money.

Interesting. He was on the books super cheap this year (something like a 1.5 base). I'm sort of meh on this. I don't think Goodwin is super great, but he's not bad. Could do better, could do worse. The price is certainly fair for a #2 (actually on the lower end).  I don't think that this precludes us from going after someone else if we want, though it's unlikely I agree. 6 million a season really isn't much against the cap all things considered, particularly with the money we have free this year and next. 

Just now, Forge said:

Interesting. He was on the books super cheap this year (something like a 1.5 base). I'm sort of meh on this. I don't think Goodwin is super great, but he's not bad. Could do better, could do worse. The price is certainly fair for a #2 (actually on the lower end).  I don't think that this precludes us from going after someone else if we want, though it's unlikely I agree. 6 million a season really isn't much against the cap all things considered, particularly with the money we have free this year and next. 

and we could opt out of garcon's contract next year? correct?

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

and we could opt out of garcon's contract next year? correct?

Not really. After 2019. I'm not sure why spotrac has the possible opt out after next year. He's an 8.4 cap hit next season with a 7.2 dead money hit. I can't imagine any scenario in which we cut Garcon to save 1.2 million. After 2019, we save about 6.5, which makes a lot more sense as he would also have an 11 million dollar hit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well, his six plus Garcon's 9+ million to go along with 10-14 million with someone like Watkins/Robinson? That's a lot of money spent at the WR position. Granted, this team has a lot of cap space so it could be possible, but I think Shanny will value someone like Burton more than one of the top WRs. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, his six plus Garcon's 9+ million to go along with 10-14 million with someone like Watkins/Robinson? That's a lot of money spent at the WR position. Granted, this team has a lot of cap space so it could be possible, but I think Shanny will value someone like Burton more than one of the top WRs. 

Oh, I don't disagree. I don't think that it happens, just that it doesn't completely rule it out if we absolutely love a guy like Robinson (can't see it being Watkins - Goodwin and he overlap too much in what they bring to the table in my opinion). I have a hard time imagining that we love a guy that much, but you never know. I definitely am not ruling out a middle tier guy like Moncrief though, but I Think at this point, we'll probably see about drafting a guy in the middle / late rounds, let him foster some competition with guys like Bourne. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well damn lol.

I thought he would be one of the guys getting an extension, but now we're paying him and Garcon decent amount of money. Can't see us going after Robinson or Watkins now. 

Seems like we're spending big at CB, not at WR. I can kind of live with it, happy for Goodwin to get a new contract, he deserves it, but was obviously looking to adding a (possible) top WR.

I'm fine with that. A WR core of Garcon/Goodwin/Taylor/Bourne is pretty solid. And then you have Kittle who really came on with Garoppolo at QB. He's the one potential game changing option we have. 

I think adding two CBs is a must. One in the draft and then one of the top available FAs. We were in discussions for Talib, one of the teams interested in Peters and then brought Davis in for a visit. 

Yeah, I said just looking at one video from the Brick by Brick series in the offseason that he looked like a genuinely good guy. His teammates love him and he produced big with Garoppolo. 

Next up for an extension will be maybe Tartt? 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I said just looking at one video from the Brick by Brick series in the offseason that he looked like a genuinely good guy. His teammates love him and he produced big with Garoppolo. 

Next up for an extension will be maybe Tartt? 

I think so given that we still seem reticent to pony up for Brown at this point and I haven't heard anything about us even talking. Personally, Brown would be more of a priority to me, but then again, I think I'm more sold on him than the staff lol. 

So I would think Tartt is next man up as he played really well and the staff seems to love him.