Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, Forge said:

7 years of ineptitude with a three year reprieve

Those 3 years we're almost worse. Losing in those championship games the way we did was brutal. And that Superbowl sucked not being able to finish our comeback (still wasn't as ****ty as those championship games though).  

https://theathletic.com/616310/2018/10/26/tk-show-kyle-shanahan-on-his-support-for-saleh-trusting-the-process-and-the-timing-on-kirk-cousins/ 

'For instance, while explaining why the 49ers didn’t seriously consider drafting Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft, Shanahan just flat out said that he and John Lynch expected to sign Kirk Cousins the following offseason."

Interesting. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

https://theathletic.com/616310/2018/10/26/tk-show-kyle-shanahan-on-his-support-for-saleh-trusting-the-process-and-the-timing-on-kirk-cousins/ 

'For instance, while explaining why the 49ers didn’t seriously consider drafting Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft, Shanahan just flat out said that he and John Lynch expected to sign Kirk Cousins the following offseason."

Interesting. 

I'm fine with that. Kirk is a capable QB, Kyle knows him well. I'm fine with him being Plan A. But then Plan B came along, with a chance to be even better than Plan A, so you jump on it. As for the QBs we passed on in the draft... no one expected Mahommes to be this good, and I don't think he would have done what he has with us. Deshaun, the jury is still out. But when you draft a QB in the first, you shouldn't take a QB you don't absolutely love. I didn't absolutely love any of the guys, so I'm okay with waiting for the following offseason. Then, almost a year ago, we got the patriots drama that gave us Jimmy G. So it all worked out.

I don't think that bit about expecting to sign Cousins surprises anyone. 

8 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I'm fine with that. Kirk is a capable QB, Kyle knows him well. I'm fine with him being Plan A. But then Plan B came along, with a chance to be even better than Plan A, so you jump on it. As for the QBs we passed on in the draft... no one expected Mahommes to be this good, and I don't think he would have done what he has with us. Deshaun, the jury is still out. But when you draft a QB in the first, you shouldn't take a QB you don't absolutely love. I didn't absolutely love any of the guys, so I'm okay with waiting for the following offseason. Then, almost a year ago, we got the patriots drama that gave us Jimmy G. So it all worked out.

I'm almost certain we would have signed Cousins if we'd been in the market for a QB so that comment from Shanny is not surprising to me in the least. I didn't care for Watson but I really liked Mahommes.  Didn't think he would go top 15 though and didn't think he would look this good, this early. I wanted us to take him in the second but seeing as he went a lot earlier than I expected, I see nothing wrong wit the approach Lynch and Shanny took regarding the position. Mahommes was really the only QB I liked from that entire class and had we been in the market for a QB when the 2018 draft rolled around, I'm sure we would have nabbed either Rosen or Darnold. I actually thought the football gods smiled on us when we were able to ****** Jimmy G from the Pats. More than happy with the outcome. Jimmy's injury was just a misfortune...it happens.  

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

So there have been calls on Garcon, obviously, but apparently also on Ward. That would be a very minimal return (maybe a flip of picks) but something to keep an eye on

Why not? Though if Ward shows out the rest of the way he may get a decent contract and we could get a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick? 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

So there have been calls on Garcon, obviously, but apparently also on Ward. That would be a very minimal return (maybe a flip of picks) but something to keep an eye on

I'd ship them both. Ward has no future on this team. Garcon is still a pretty good player but his production can easily be replaced. The more draft captial we can acquire and thus use to secure some depth and find some diamond-in-the-ruff types, the better. 

On 10/28/2018 at 8:21 AM, rudyZ said:

It wasn't interesting because of anything specific about our QB situation, but moreso about the mindset that seemed to be: 'lets suck for a year, go sign a veteran QB who we know will be available, and use our draft capital elswhere'.  This is a solid strategy to utilize a finite amount of resources.

Kind of feels like what this season has turned into... 'oh well, we were flirting with being goodish  but really we kinda suck so let's just suck so we can draft a passrusher and get our QB back and try again next year' 

It shows that there is some sort of long-term  plan (that can obviously be altered at any point in time) but maybe the original plan never included playoffs this year even if we had signed cousins. Maybe the front office looked ahead to this year's pass rush draft class and decided to not even bother with taking one last year... knowing that we wouldn't be very good either way. 

Maybe that is giving them too much credit or reading into it too much, but I've heard a lot of talk recently on the radio (I'm in my car a lot for work) about if the FO has a 'master plan' or if they are just winging it year by year. 

That quote makes it sound like they absolutely have a specific, 3 year plan to build this roster (and part of that plan included sucking for at least the first two years)

Side note: I also find it oddly satisfying that there is one of the best QB drafts in recent memory followed by one of the best pass rushing drafts in recent memory. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

It wasn't interesting because of anything specific about our QB situation, but moreso about the mindset that seemed to be: 'lets suck for a year, go sign a veteran QB who we know will be available, and use our draft capital elswhere'.  This is a solid strategy to utilize a finite amount of resources.

Kind of feels like what this season has turned into... 'oh well, we were flirting with being goodish  but really we kinda suck so let's just suck so we can draft a passrusher and get our QB back and try again next year' 

It shows that there is some sort of long-term  plan (that can obviously be altered at any point in time) but maybe the original plan never included playoffs this year even if we had signed cousins. Maybe the front office looked ahead to this year's pass rush draft class and decided to not even bother with taking one last year... knowing that we wouldn't be very good either way. 

Maybe that is giving them too much credit or reading into it too much, but I've heard a lot of talk recently on the radio (I'm in my car a lot for work) about if the FO has a 'master plan' or if they are just winging it year by year. 

That quote makes it sound like they absolutely have a specific, 3 year plan to build this roster (and part of that plan included sucking for at least the first two years)

Side note: I also find it oddly satisfying that there is one of the best QB drafts in recent memory followed by one of the best pass rushing drafts in recent memory. 

Yeah, I echo many of those thoughts. I too have wondered whether they're winging it or if it's part of the plan. It's really hard to tell at times, but if they are doing it right, I like that they're keeping it close to the vest. It's weird how this staff can be both secretive and very candid at times. It's like the opposite of the last few years, when it was leaks and obfuscation all over the place. You know, like a very bad cover job, when everybody knows the truth. Right now, we don't know the truth for sure, but Kyle and John truly seem sincere. 

I also believe it could have been a mistake to just take a lesser pass rusher last year, with a better class coming up, just like I thought it would have been a mistake to take a QB in 2017 with better prospects coming up in 2018. If you do take a lesser QB because you're freaking out and rushing your decisions, you're not just setting yourself back a year, but maybe 5 years. I prefer patience. Get the right guys, not the immediate need. When the right guy fills an immediate need, then great! If not, try to plug the hole with a free agent, or if you're really stuck, play a guy out of position. In a perfect world, we'd fill every hole with a perfect guy right away, but sometimes the planets just don't line up.

We just cut Bolden and Mabin...I don't get the latter at all. Why? The man was just starting a few weeks ago. Showed some nice ability in a few of those games. Spoon may have solidified the starting spot, but Ward is now playing safety so getting rid of Mabin makes little sense. Unless they want to see some of Moore before year's end? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just cut Bolden and Mabin...I don't get the latter at all. Why? The man was just starting a few weeks ago. Showed some nice ability in a few of those games. Spoon may have solidified the starting spot, but Ward is now playing safety so getting rid of Mabin makes little sense. Unless they want to see some of Moore before year's end? 

I hope that they want to see some of Moore before the season is up. As bad as the secondary has been at times, there's positively no reason not to give him some real game experience.