Top 30 defenses of the last 30 years

CP3MVP

I know this is based on their metric, but there's no way the 2008 Ravens defense is better than the 2008 Steelers defense, even if it's basically a tie. Also I took an embarassing amount of time trying to figure out why the 84 bears were missing.

15 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

The patriots have never had a dominant defense, just really steady ones that can make it easy enough for the GOAT qb to win.

New England's defenses just haven't had the HOF locks other multiple SB winners have had. Seymour and Law are borderline guys, and the rest have been very good players. Brady has largely been the difference in those narrow SB wins. It's a classic case of the sum of the parts being greater than the whole. When Brady declines, it's going to be substantially more difficult for NE to reach the SB again.  

25 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

2003 and 2004 Patriots teams had pretty dominant defenses. Those are the two best units I feel like Bill Belichick has field as Patriots coach. They just seemed to shut everyone down. Especially those 2003 and 2004 Colts teams. 

They were strong, but the biggest thing with nearly every Patriots defense was they had the bend but don’t break philosophy. So even the really good ones were okay with giving up lots of yards because their special teams would usually keep teams in check. 

They shut down Manning’s Colts a lot, but that had more to do with Manning’s offense being so timing based that they lost their spark against physical defenses. 

It was more solid fundamentals and physical play than outright talent. 

I know I say it a lot, but watch what that Panthers team did to the 2003 defense in the Super Bowl. It wasn’t pretty 

50 minutes ago, lancerman said:

They were strong, but the biggest thing with nearly every Patriots defense was they had the bend but don't break philosophy. So even the really good ones were okay with giving up lots of yards because their special teams would usually keep teams in check. 

They shut down Manning's Colts a lot, but that had more to do with Manning's offense being so timing based that they lost their spark against physical defenses. 

It was more solid fundamentals and physical play than outright talent. 

I know I say it a lot, but watch what that Panthers team did to the 2003 defense in the Super Bowl. It wasn't pretty 

I don't recall Manning's Colts being slowed consistently by most teams during that two year window span except the Patriots. Colts beat Baltimore, Miami, and beat the Buccaneers on the notable MNF game. All physical defenses of the time. Didn't play the Steelers either of those years. Patriots just owned the Colts for a short while, something no other team could do. 

Patriots didn't give up that many yards during the 2003 and 2004 years on defense. They ranked 7th, and 9th in the NFL. They did get lit up against the Panthers in the Super Bowl, but that's one game. They dominated most of their competition in most phases.

Archived