Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Depends on $, but it could be that he and M. Martin are competing for one backup job

HOWEVER, if they really like Martin and want to give him a real chance to start, against like a 3rd or 4th rounder... if they're starkly opposed to investing significant capital into their 5th OL starter... that makes our pick at 19 a whole lot more interesting. Because if it's not Wynn or Hernandez, there's a LOT of ways we could go with it.

36 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Depends on $, but it could be that he and M. Martin are competing for one backup job

HOWEVER, if they really like Martin and want to give him a real chance to start, against like a 3rd or 4th rounder... if they're starkly opposed to investing significant capital into their 5th OL starter... that makes our pick at 19 a whole lot more interesting. Because if it's not Wynn or Hernandez, there's a LOT of ways we could go with it.

I agree, once the money figures come out we'll have a better idea, but they may be competing for the backup G/C role

42 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Could designate him a Post-July 1st release and we wouldn't lose money, at least.

Technically you would save whatever salary he makes with another team if there's offsets, so probably like 700k. It's the same situation as Thornton last year. That said, I doubt we'd do it

On 3/13/2018 at 7:22 PM, DaBoys said:

To play devil's advocate, Dez is probably better than any available FA WR yes? I mean, we ***** about his 838 yards, how many available WRs hit that last year? And all of them are getting paid more than Dez so far...

So we are saying these guys will come to Dallas and produce MORE? What are you basing that off of? Because last year taught us that people produce well after they leave here. Not when they arrive 

Sorry for the late reply, but yes Dez is better than any available FA WR currently. But he should not be back on a 16 million dollar cap hit unless it is the last resort. I think him not taking a paycut, sends a bad precedent for future players on the team. He says he's one of the leaders on the team, but his actions say something different. If Romo was willing to take a paycut for Dallas to keep Murray and Ware would've taken a paycut, then Dez definitely should. I use to defend Dez, but if his antics are affecting Dak (I believe they are) then they need to cut bait. I think it's similar to when the Boys had T.O. The F.O. probably knew T.O. had some legitimate gripes about the offense and even though he produced at a high level, he still was cut for the benefit of the QB. I was referring to this situation in my earlier post, since Jerry referred to cutting T.O. at the time as "addition by subtraction". I think the same could happen here, where (let's say Calvin Ridley) a highly talented WR falls to Dallas in the draft. If Dallas drafts him and cuts Dez, the team could rally and outperform expectations. In the last resort scenario where Dez is back, 2018 should be the last season for him in a Cowboys uniform along with Terrance Williams (I actually want Williams gone before Dez). 

Keeping Dez on the team this year (or heaven forbid an extension) doesn't help the team for the future. He will be 30 years old this year, while "allegedly" not being able to run the entire WR route tree.  Sammy Watkins (while being overpaid) arrow is pointing up from an age and talent perspective, while Dez's arrow isn't. It's always better to cut a player a year early than a year late. Watkins also doesn't bring that diva attitude and is young enough to grow with Dak. That's why I believe the Cowboys tried to go get him or Allen Robinson as a replacement for Dez. If Dak is the future, they need to get him WRs that plays to his strengths.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4765832/a-full-time-role-can-earn-cameron-fleming-an-extra-1-million

Contract deets on Fleming, Martin, and Looney.

Only $1.25M guaranteed between the three of them. NLTBE incentives in all three of their deals. Currently less than $4M in cap money combined, which is less than $2.5M in immediate impact with the Rule of 51.

We should still have $5-6M in room. I thought we'd be dried up. Not bad.

Archived