Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We are the only team in the league without a FA signing.

Yeah, but think of how much better Dallas is. Hitchens is gone. Scan. Couple of ST players. GM is on vacation. No cap space. They will fix the cap though by cutting Dez. Kellen Moore is QB coach. Linehan is still around. Heck, in a few months Matt Linehan will be fighting for back up QB duty. It's good. Dallas is in fine shape. Everything is fine. 

45 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

We have two of the best DL FAs signed. Something like 16mil spent in cap space. Why is everyone over looking the re-sign of Lawrence and how much it cost?

We didn't sign him. We tagged him. We would actually have MORE money if we DID sign him. Which is what I want. And we didn't sign Irving either. We placed a 2nd round tender on Irving letting him be free(like right now) to sign with and negotiate with other teams. Which is like the opposite of signed.

So maybe that's why it's "over looked." Because it's not the same. You may be the only one here that is happy with what is happening.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

We have two of the best DL FAs signed. Something like 16mil spent in cap space. Why is everyone over looking the re-sign of Lawrence and how much it cost?

What everyone sees is this, we are a 9-7 team who retained 2 defensive starters. We have made no adjustments to the roster to improve on that standing. We have only lost players. This is what I see

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We didn't sign him. We tagged him. We would actually have MORE money if we DID sign him. Which is what I want. And we didn't sign Irving either. We placed a 2nd round tender on Irving letting him be free(like right now) to sign with and negotiate with other teams. Which is like the opposite of signed.

So maybe that's why it's "over looked." Because it's not the same. You may be the only one here that is happy with what is happening.

So you would like us to go the route of Crawford and sign both guys to long term deals based on one year of performance to free up cap space? 

12 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Im happy that we arent over spending on mediocrity. Lets face it, Franchise caliber players dont go anywhere until they are nearing a point of not being worth the money. 

Those non Franchise guys being signed are being paid like franchise players who will be a centerpiece of their new team when in reality they are nothing more than decent starters on a team that was desperate for their position. 

Look where the Giants' spending spree will have them this year and next, eveb after last years 2 win debacle. Bet you Philly has a tumble downward over the next two years, especially when Wentz is ready to be paid (at least they got a ring, but their signings stayed roleplayers - they got bargain prices on second tier guys). Other teams pay out these big contracts becausr they havent been drafting well and are in desperation mode to grab players at those positions.

This team is not in that predicament. And they have not the money, nor the need, to overspend on mediocrity. All that does is make it harder to pay our true franchise defining players and leaves us locked in with mediocre players. Remember the downfall of Wade and those three 8-8s with Garrett? All began with overpaying mediocrity - including our own guys who didnt deserve it. 

This team learned its lesson. Thats why Hitchens is now in KC (because of Austin, Ratliff, Barber, etc) its why there are no overpriced good but not great players being overpaid to play here again (because of the mistakes made with Carr, Hamlin etc)

Draft well, buy the bit players you need for cheap, and center your team around your franchise caliber and team identity defining players while you can afford them. Your Prescotts, Elliotts, Bryants, Lees, Lawrences. You pay them, tie your money up into them while they are young, and move along. We dont need overpriced mediocrity. Never again.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

So you would like us to go the route of Crawford and sign both guys to long term deals based on one year of performance to free up cap space? 

Difference ia Crawfords contract is relaticely balanced, he gets a good deal but so do we. Crawford is a versatile co tributor who plays multiple spots. While nearing the overpaid mark, he is what I meant above when i said ovefpaying medicority. However, at least Crawford brings a true versatile role to the D.

12 hours ago, textaz03 said:

What everyone sees is this, we are a 9-7 team who retained 2 defensive starters. We have made no adjustments to the roster to improve on that standing. We have only lost players. This is what I see

You improve this team by letting your young core (Dak, Zeke, Byron, Collins, Irving, Jaylon, Chido, Collins, Lewis) get better with experience and practice and by drafting well.

You dont get better by overpaying mediocre players and then handcuffing yourself for future young stars on your team up for a payday. The teams who do that now end up hurting sooner than later. And those who do it often do not draft well and are forced to do so.

And Phillyndug deep and picked up second tier guys for cheap; but their core, the guys who brought them that ring, were homegrown defensive players and o-lineman. One receiver catching 900 yards and two runners splitting time didnt bring them their ring. That D and that gameplanning by the coach on O did. Not some overpriced veterans. Because they didnt have many.

1 hour ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Didn't say that. Lol at comparing Crawford to Lawrence. Crawford has 16.5 sacks in his 5 year career. Lawrence had 14.5 last year alone. And Crawford played on the blind side all year.  I would rather sign Lawrence to a long term deal, because he has produced every year he has been healthy/available. He was our best pass rusher in the playoffs his rookie year after being hurt most of the season. Remember the Lions playoff game? His sack fumbles may be the reason we even got to go to GB. And he was a rookie. Reeled off 8 sacks in 7 games in a dismal Matt Cassell led 4-12 season. Played only 3 games in 2016 but he had a sack, and then was arguably the best pass rusher in the league this year. But yeah, a long term contract is crazy....

As for Irving, idk where you got that I wanted to sign him long term. If you'll scroll up, you'll see that I was merely pointing out that we haven't actually signed anybody. That's all. I still hope Irving transforms into a 2nd round pick.

Archived