Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

#19 for ET + making him the highest paid safety in the sport would be asinine. But I think #50 + big contract is at least debatable.

I get the argument that we're not close enough to seriously competing to make this sort of move, but it's sort of paradoxical because the reason we're not close is because we've thrown the 28th, 34th, and 60th picks into a giant pit of flames in the last 3 years. So yeah, a 22 year old stud on a cheapo contract might help this team in the long run more than ET on a big one... but are we sure we're getting a stud at 50?

I hate having to think like this btw

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:
Regardless what Seattle asks for, Dallas isn't paying ET $13m+/yr.  

I don't see the issue being the pick, but I don't think you guys have the flexibility to put that many of your eggs into a safety basket. 

I hear "blockbuster" trade and I get nervous haha

Makes me feel like we are giving up a first and a third like that blockbuster deal for Roy Williams some years ago.

Honestly, Id debate giving up the second rounder only because to me, the known commodity in this case(a top 5 player at his position) is better than a 50/50 chance on a complete bust of a selection.

I wouod not give up the first rounder because the first round is where your bread is buttered, and where we have done our best in recent years (which is not always very easy!) in a year where QB selections could push some good players way down to 19.

Third rounder would be ideal, but I doubt Seattle lets him go for a third rounder unless they are that eager to cut ties with him. He is a top 5, possibly top 3 player at his position, and you dont let those guys walk for cheap unlesa your hands are just really tied (cap, clash with staff, discipline, etc)

17 hours ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

So the Eagles will get one and the Redskins the other, while we sit here and sign a bunch of Jeff Heath's.

We're so content with mediocrity as a fanbase it's laughable. 

At this point, it doesn't even matter if we trade for Thomas or not. This team standing pat in FA instead of investing money to fill a glaring weakness (DT) is frustrating.

I would only offer a 4th for Earl Thomas. If Seattle doesn't like it I would pass.

4 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

At this point, it doesn't even matter if we trade for Thomas or not. This team standing pat in FA instead of investing money to fill a glaring weakness (DT) is frustrating.

I would only offer a 4th for Earl Thomas. If Seattle doesn't like it I would pass.

This team signed the top FA on the market - Lawrence. And its costing them a lot to do so.

With Zeke, Dak, both entering year 3 and Martin due for a payday even sooner, you need to think about the future.

Also, how is DT  a weakness..Irving has been a really good player. If you mean nose, we have Collins and hipefully someone else to rotate there. The nose is NOT a huge factor in this system. not by a longshot. In this system the Lbs play off the front and react to the ball, not attack the ball - so "staying clean" with a big man in front of them does not matter. They will almlst always be clean because they are not in the trenches.

On 3/15/2018 at 12:15 AM, canadaluvsdallas said:

A 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas + a New contract deal ? Has this forum gone insane for the cowboys to even consider that joke of a deal?

We aren't deeply talented enough to pull moves like that. Let me bring you all back to reality.

How can you say we aren't deeply talented enough to pull a move like this? We have easily a top 5 offense and we absolutely need a top tier S that we haven't had since woodson, I suppose youd be ok with trading 19, and 50 for 10 for James from FSU who is an unproven commodity 

18 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

there's not but maybe 1 or 2 DT's in FA that I'd sign and there's certainly not a DT I'd draft at 19 not worth a waste of a pick not when there are studs in the 5-7th rounds

12 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

How can you say we aren't deeply talented enough to pull a move like this? We have easily a top 5 offense and we absolutely need a top tier S that we haven't had since woodson, I suppose youd be ok with trading 19, and 50 for 10 for James from FSU who is an unproven commodity 

Just a question here but -

Did you really view Woodson as a safety? The guy defined the term "defensive back" ... he played any role from FS, SS, CB, NB and even LB.

1 minute ago, Runaway Jim said:

We should sign Eric Reid instead of trading for Earl Thomas.

Problem with Eric Reid is how he falls off in space. He is a "rich mans" Jeff Heath in a sense. Youd be paying out for something very close to what we already have.

Archived