Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

11 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I still don't understand. If Dallas really wanted ET, why not offer a conditional pick next year with the 3rd they offered?? In the meantime I am happy with Gallup and don't mind waiting for ET next year when we could get him for free. 

It's a game of cat and mouse. Dallas values their draft picks and doing things they see financially responsible. Seattle is looking for optimal return. One of them is going to buckle at some point. Frankly, I'm surprised Seattle didn't jump on #81. They won't see a better return via compensatory and obviously the "mystery team" didn't offer them anything better. 

For the moment, I think a conditional pick trade would be in the works. Minimum 3rd rd with escalators up to a 2nd or a the 3rd and something lower. Whatever the case, I don't think this is over the a long shot. Dallas is obviously interested. 

48 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I still don't understand. If Dallas really wanted ET, why not offer a conditional pick next year with the 3rd they offered?? In the meantime I am happy with Gallup and don't mind waiting for ET next year when we could get him for free. 

Because he isn’t worth that much in compensation when you factor in the draft picks plus the final year’s salary plus having to negotiate a long term deal. Seattle values him higher than we do. Nothing more, nothing less.

9 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Because he isn’t worth that much in compensation when you factor in the draft picks plus the final year’s salary plus having to negotiate a long term deal. Seattle values him higher than we do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Basically. As much as I wanted Thomas, I'm happy to see the front office didn't overpay for the guy. They stuck to their guns on what they were willing to offer. 

Though according to Fish (?), we aren't necessarily done trying to go after him.

I read an article that we right now have over 70 million in cap space.

Now a good chunk of that will go away to Martin and (assuming he is signed) Dlaw. But that also allows us to keep Irving if we want (doubt it). Sign Earl Thomas if we want (hopeful). Get a long term deal for Dak and still have money left over.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Basically. As much as I wanted Thomas, I'm happy to see the front office didn't overpay for the guy. They stuck to their guns on what they were willing to offer. 

Though according to Fish (?), we aren't necessarily done trying to go after him.

And that’s a good thing on all accounts. We (finally) held firm and didn’t break under the pressure and/or negotiate against ourselves (which Jerry has a long history of doing); and we are looking to reopen the negotiation for him post-draft, which places us in a position of strength for a change, because the longer this drags out, the more disgruntled Thomas becomes.

9 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Had we given up 50 for Thomas, we would have not gotten Williams. 81? Miss out on Gallup.

Id rather have either of those guys on their rookie deals, even as unproven as they are, than 30ish Earl Thomas eating cap space. 

G and WR > Safety

Agreed I rather have the players we have now.

The fact that no team made a trade for Thomas helps our position because either no one is interested or they were all low balling their offers. 

I would offer up a 4th for next years draft with the possibility of it moving to a 3rd round pick based on performance.

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I read an article that we right now have over 70 million in cap space.

Now a good chunk of that will go away to Martin and (assuming he is signed) Dlaw. But that also allows us to keep Irving if we want (doubt it). Sign Earl Thomas if we want (hopeful). Get a long term deal for Dak and still have money left over.

We do.

I hope when they re-sign Martin, they front load a lot of the money for next year when we can take the hit before Dak and Zeke are due for extensions.

Archived