Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Fwiw, and this doesn't have anything to do with captain cause he isn't old enough, but I'm fairly certain we will all feel comfortable saying Chido is our best DB by the end of the year. He was way better than I thought when he finally got on the field. J.Lewis is going to be our ball hawk. 

Thats fine and it probably is accurate to say Chido * Lewis might be our best DBs ( I hope so). But right now, at this moment, Heath has earned his right to be a captain. He has done enough. 

28 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Thats fine and it probably is accurate to say Chido * Lewis might be our best DBs ( I hope so). But right now, at this moment, Heath has earned his right to be a captain. He has done enough. 

He still gets an overwhelming "meh" from me. He obviously has a good feel for the zone, and is a solid processor of the QB. He is in the right place at the right time due to those skills. Better at it than Byron Jones for whatever that's worth. 

But for every big play Heath makes I can point to 3 or 4 terrible plays with him wiffing on a tackle due to a terrible angle or simply being to unathletic to even get a hand on a sprinting WR. 

I think the differences between him and B.Church are pretty obvious, and he is in no way a strength of our roster. And if you're looking around at your Defense and saying yeah Heath has earned captain then you probably have a bad defense.

I dunno what kind of locker room presence or personality he is to be making captain. BUT!

What I do know is theres something to this Heath kid. On film, he is always near the ball. Hes always in pursuit of the ball or ball carrier. Every tackle is made with aggressivensss. Every pass thrown his way is competed for.

Some mistakes in coverage, coming from where he comes from and the long route to where he is, those are likely. But film doesnt lie. This kid is just always around the football. Doesnt matter if the play was 20 yards in front of him in the offensive backfield, or 20 yards on the other side of the field. The kid is just always near the play.

And to boot, he always finds a way to come up with a play. Be it a tackle in pursuit on a big gain of a blown coverage or tackle somewhere completely different on the field..or a tackle for loss made on an outstanding read and reaction where he hunted downhill from a robber assignment. Or coming across the entire field to clean up a bad tackle attempt or a nearly broken tackle. Finding a way to fish a ball out of the air in a hard contested throw. 

Kid just has something to him. Maybe he isnt something special, hell perhaps even blows some assignments, but the kid plays football, has good football instincts, and, well as I said, he just simply plays football. Gotta love that, especially on film

I would be happy to go back to the good ol days of praying Smite can stay healthy. He was here 3 years but was only healthy enough to play in 1. He was really really good in that 1 year though.

Worth it!

16 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I would be happy to go back to the good ol days of praying Smite can stay healthy. He was here 3 years but was only healthy enough to play in 1. He was really really good in that 1 year though.

Worth it!

Yeah, the worst case scenario is what? He gets hurt and we are in the exact same position we are now. Best case we get a really good player and locker room guy at a position of need. Yes please.

20 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

This is interesting.

This is not a good thing no matter how you slice it. Dallas should have included Marinelli in defensive coaching shake up as he's obviously part of the issue.

Archived