Cowboys off season - training camp is almost here!!!

WizardHawk

9 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Yep. I'm all for bringing Smite back. Irving/Collins at 3T and Smite/Ward at 1T. I'm not terribly confident in Ward though. But, adding Smite makes me feel much better about middle of DL. 

Ward is best suited in the same role as we see in Collins and Irving. His biggest issue in Oakland was his inability to fight off the doubles he kept having to deal with as a 5tech DE and a 1tech DT. He is a get up and go DT, he has the frame and power to play a nose, but he just was not very good at it.

In rotation inside, Collins Irving Ward taking snaps as under and nose, moving around and getting different matchups and opportunities at both spots, all three would fit well and keep fresh.

Im in board with McClain though. He could certainly be a huge boost to the interior rotation and knows what we expect from our inside players. Set up, get up, and go up field.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Who was the last player to actually wear #74 here? Thought that was one of the ones they never gave out. Would think he changes it before the season. Feel kind of the same about 52 for Williams, would look out of place a bit between 77/72/70/71.

Gallup in #13 is slick though

I don't think Looney sticks with Martin (Marcus) here, so I'd imagine Williams ends up getting #73

22 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

As much as Dak, Zeke, and our OL got credit for 2016. Smite was a huge part of our success that year. Idk that he can pick up where he left off, but he was big for us in 2016.

Hi guys. For what it's worth, you had the most "enviable" draft, for me. LVE was my favourite player in the whole draft, and whilst I never thought he'd slip to 23, I did secretly hope. You got a fantastic athlete and football brain right there. I expect him to beat out (or at least gain favour over) Smith in little time. I also really liked Williams, and people were sleeping on him because of his superior junior tape. Beast of a tackle. 

Well done :) 

I like our drafts. But McClay has made some really ignorant statements recently. 

And as great as we have been at college evaluation we have been equally poor scouting current pro's.

Our FA classes have been bottom of the league for some time now, we can't flip a player for a pick to save our life, but we'll trade a 5th for Christine Michael. Let's sign Nolan Carroll even though we got to see Dez and Twill of all people whoop him twice a year. Let's boast about how no one can guard Dez in the "All or Nothing" TV series but then excuse his firing because everyone was guarding him. Let's start Jeff Heath. Every year. Let's draft CB Byron Jones and move him to safety. Yeah safety. No no corner. Let's do corner. Switzer lost the Rams game, not TWills pick 6 in the 4th quarter with the lead. Trade Switzer for Ward because we'll literally do anything to keep from drafting our own DT. Keep TWill. Pay Sammy Watkins double what Dez gets. Cut Dez. Keep Chaz Green. There are no Rico Gathers fans on the staff, but now they think the sky is the limit for him because Witten retired. 

I'm trying to think of the last smart roster move for the Cowboys that didn't involve drafting. 

Maybe bringing in Irving? But Rod seems to be able to stick any old Selvie or Mincey into his line and see them have success. I'm not sure he has that success elsewhere and apparently the rest of the league is suspicious as well.

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I like our drafts. But McClay has made some really ignorant statements recently. 

And as great as we have been at college evaluation we have been equally poor scouting current pro's.

Our FA classes have been bottom of the league for some time now, we can't flip a player for a pick to save our life, but we'll trade a 5th for Christine Michael. Let's sign Nolan Carroll even though we got to see Dez and Twill of all people whoop him twice a year. Let's boast about how no one can guard Dez in the "All or Nothing" TV series but then excuse his firing because everyone was guarding him. Let's start Jeff Heath. Every year. Let's draft CB Byron Jones and move him to safety. Yeah safety. No no corner. Let's do corner. Switzer lost the Rams game, not TWills pick 6 in the 4th quarter with the lead. Trade Switzer for Ward because we'll literally do anything to keep from drafting our own DT. Keep TWill. Pay Sammy Watkins double what Dez gets. Cut Dez. Keep Chaz Green. There are no Rico Gathers fans on the staff, but now they think the sky is the limit for him because Witten retired. 

I'm trying to think of the last smart roster move for the Cowboys that didn't involve drafting. 

Maybe bringing in Irving? But Rod seems to be able to stick any old Selvie or Mincey into his line and see them have success. I'm not sure he has that success elsewhere and apparently the rest of the league his suspicious as well.

Many truths here.

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Just read that the Broncos are not picking up Shane Ray's 5th year option. Could be an option he is a perfect Marinelli player.

Jags declined to pick up Fowler's 5th year as well. 

Archived