Aaron Rodgers and new contract

Golfman

16 hours ago, spilltray said:

That's a deviation of a bit over 1%. People are suggesting a MASSIVE disparity, like 5%. It might be slightly higher but it's going to be pretty close to that % either way.

My point is like this.  A is true, and if B, and if C, then D is also true.

A) Rodgers is much much better than Andy Dalton type QBs and gets much much more money.  3-4% more.

B) Kirk Cousins is much more like Andy Dalton than he is like Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger

C) Kirk Cousins is the first true FA QB since Peyton manning, and he is looking for the highest paid QB salary he can possibly get.  Not just the highest salary in general.  Here is his reasoning:

"[T]here’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract"

D) Rodgers will eclipse Cousins by 3-4%, as he has done, and as other QBs have done over the middle tier starters like Andy Dalton.

Except Rodgers is under contract for 2 more years and could easily be franchised 2x before he could force his way to a true open market like Cousins has. 

Rodgers next deal is not going to break the mold. It'll still be in the 15-17% of the cap range.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:02 AM, spilltray said:

Except Rodgers is under contract for 2 more years and could easily be franchised 2x before he could force his way to a true open market like Cousins has. 

Rodgers next deal is not going to break the mold. It'll still be in the 15-17% of the cap range.

He was under contract 1 more year when he signed his deal last time.  Just means you average in that $20m/year into the rest of the deal.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:02 AM, spilltray said:

Exactly - we have Rodgers locked up for the next 4 years.

He is a 34 year with two broken collar-bones and has had a problem with his calf in the past. As time goes on, he seems to be getting up a bit gimpy looking more and more. He says he wants to play to his 40s but its a young man's game. Not everyone is Tom Brady and logic says there is a decent chance he is either done or at least not the same player in 4 years.

We give him a good but fair contract that reflects that he is arguably (and it is arguably as he has showed signs of regression) the best player in the NFL but one that is 34 with an injury history.

If his camp says "we want the earth - its business" then we say fine and let him walk away in 4 years.

We have all the leverage - he can't exactly hold out. 

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I have NEVER been against doing that.  I am 100% against giving Rodgers another contract.  I think it's absolutely stupid.  Absolutely STUPID.

You have him for two years for 20 million.  Why change that?  If he has a problem with it, boo effing hoo, you signed the deal.  Effing deal with it. 

This is why I dislike Rodgers... He ******* and moans about Thompson by saying he thinks we need to be all in every year, and now he wants a new deal that's going to hurt our ability to go all in each year?  He can't have his cake and eat it, too. 

Its a long time since we didn't have a Hall of Fame QB - when he goes, we don't know what it is going to happen. It might be 30 years before we find another QB and make the playoffs. This is why I don't even remotely consider trading him. Its just not sensible. On the same note, if he is sensible and doesn't ask for something stupid we look after him and give him another deal.

If he starts playing hard ball and making demands that seriously hurt the team then we play hard ball and make him play out his current deal.

Agree on the last point. Maybe they should involve him in decision making when they decide which of the receivers is cut to pay Rodgers and he can explain to them exactly why they have been cut.

Just now, mikemike778 said:

Its a long time since we didn't have a Hall of Fame QB - when he goes, we don't know what it is going to happen. It might be 30 years before we find another QB and make the playoffs. This is why I don't even remotely consider trading him. Its just not sensible.

If he's not sensible about how to re-sign while giving us a chance to win a Super Bowl, we do the insensible thing and trade him.  This year and next year provide maximum value for trading him.  If he doesn't sign a win/win deal by the end of next year (2019 season), put the tag on him early and then trade him. 

On 3/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

If he's not sensible about how to re-sign while giving us a chance to win a Super Bowl, we do the insensible thing and trade him.  This year and next year provide maximum value for trading him.  If he doesn't sign a win/win deal by the end of next year (2019 season), put the tag on him early and then trade him. 

This shocks me. You were really upset about losing Randall. Were over the top upset about losing Nelson. Andnow, you are suggesting that if AR doesn't "play nice" with the Packers, they should just trade him. Rodgers is the franchise, and the only reason they've been so successful since the departure of Favre. So cavalierly suggest trading AR makes sense only if you believe a decent (no equal- no realistic chance of that) replacement is available. 

But, the Cousins contract throws a huge monkey wrench into talk about negotiations with Rodgers. If Cousins can get his contract fully guaranteed, why should Rodgers settle for anything but guaranteed money? Because if the Packers aren't willing to give him what he wants, there are a lot of teams who would jump at the chance. Rodgers is not just some guy. He is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Injured? Sure. Will that affect his play? This will be determined by the team's medical staff and outside experts. But for me, you don't treat a literally once in a lifetime opportunity with such a cavalier attitude.  

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, ricky said:

This shocks me. You were really upset about losing Randall. Were over the top upset about losing Nelson. Andnow, you are suggesting that if AR doesn't "play nice" with the Packers, they should just trade him. Rodgers is the franchise, and the only reason they've been so successful since the departure of Favre. So cavalierly suggest trading AR makes sense only if you believe a decent (no equal- no realistic chance of that) replacement is available. 

But, the Cousins contract throws a huge monkey wrench into talk about negotiations with Rodgers. If Cousins can get his contract fully guaranteed, why should Rodgers settle for anything but guaranteed money? Because if the Packers aren't willing to give him what he wants, there are a lot of teams who would jump at the chance. Rodgers is not just some guy. He is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Injured? Sure. Will that affect his play? This will be determined by the team's medical staff and outside experts. But for me, you don't treat a literally once in a lifetime opportunity with such a cavalier attitude.  

Agreed ... there's no point in trading Rodgers. After him, we could be waiting 20 years for a decent QB.  

But if he asks for something cap crippling then we play hard ball and hold him to his current deal and franchise him twice. 

On 3/11/2018 at 9:30 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

It's not Aaron Rodgers job to care about the "chance" signing him gives Green Bay at winning a Super Bowl.  That's Gute and Ball's job.  Teams could give two ****s about the players.  The very second that they think they can save a buck the player is discarded regardless.  I  will not begrudge Rodgers one single bit if he bleeds this franchise of every last cent he can possibly get as he's worth it.  If Green Bay doesn't want to pay his asking price there will be close to a  dozen teams behind him that will.  

The idea that Aaron Rodgers should sacrifice millions for the team is almost laughable as we all just seen how that worked out for Jordy Nelson.  Aaron Rodgers will be dropped like dead weight the very second he isn't living up to his contract so there is absolutely no reason he should be giving Green Bay or any other franchise any sort of discounts.  

9 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

Is anybody else terrified that something bad will happen and we won’t have Rodgers under center next year?

Worried far more about the WR core and the garbage heap we've got in our CB room.  We aren't competing for a Super Bowl with either unit staying at status quo.  

I just want the deal to be done so we can all move on. I don’t care about price. Rodgers IS the Green Bay Packers right now, we saw what life without him is like. Bringing in Kizer felt weird to me. 

Once the deal is done we can finish up the roster pre draft and focus on other problems.

Archived