Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

Like I said about Chainsawman before. It's probably a top 3 manga from the past decade. I'm not a big fan of Shounen at all too. That said CSM isn't really a shounen, it's nothing like Jujutsu Kaisen or Demon Slayer. It's closer to something like Berserk, AOT, or Vinland Saga as far as the quality of characters and storytelling goes.I don't want to spoil anything but yea suffice to say season 2 will be a big step up from season 1. Unfortunately, they only gave it 12 episodes so it stopped right before the first really good Chainsawman arc. I think I compared it to AoT if the first season stopped right before they left the walls. But honestly, a better comparison is if AoT stopped right before season 3. I'd highly highly recommend reading it if you want to see what I mean.

EDIT: If you want to dip your toes into what makes Tatsuki Fujimoto such a good storyteller without spoiling yourself on CSM then I'd recommend his One-shots Goodbye Eri and Look Back. One-shots are basically the short story version of manga. It's just a single chapter long. Goodbye Eri and Look Back are rated the number 1 and 2 One-shots ever respectively on pretty much every critic/rating site. CSM won the Oscars equivalent for best manga the year it finished and then Look Back won the next year's best manga. Dude won back-to-back super bowls pretty much. To continue with that analogy about how much of a force Fujimoto is look at his assistants. Famous coaches have coaching trees that influence the NFL for years. They're coordinators go off to coach their own teams and find their own success. Fujimoto has assistant trees. His assistants have gone on to write mega-bangers like Spy X Family, Hell's Paradise, and Dandadan. So yea even though it's only been 5 years since CSM came out this man has been making waves.

Edited by Geek
I will continue to gush about how good Fujimoto is at writing
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I just started watching Jujutsu Kaisen, solid thus far. I can see why it's popular, doesn't stand out to me as amazing, but it is very fun, and good characters.

Jujutsu Kaisen always been kinda meh for me but the upcoming Shibuya arc is really good. It's up there with CSM International Assassin's and Gun Devil arcs as the best shounen arcs of the past decade. It's kinda just decent again past that but that arc was so good it cultivated a pretty strong fan base.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, Geek said:

The new season of Demon Slayer comes out in a couple weeks but personally I'm most excited about Hell's Paradise and Oshi no Ko this season.

I was looking forward to these in that order. But Hell's Paradise was pretty mid after an interesting start. I'd put it multiple tiers below the other two. ONK is absolutely legit. 

Also: Zom 100 is the best new anime out right now.

Edited by Mox

• 3 weeks later...

Watched all of Rent-A-Girlfriend, I'm all caught up now and it's definitely a solid anime. I wish the main character grew a bit more over time, but it's pretty heart felt and I've very much enjoyed it. 

Now watching more Jujutsu Kaisen, still enjoying that one. It's a good time. Haven't gotten to the new season yet.

And watched I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too as well, it's a long title but a fun one. I think that it could have gone very much towards an edge lord scenario and it didn't. I like the world building.

And reading, I'm caught up on Shangri-La Frontier. That one is very fun, I like the game world that is created. And another case where they could have gone edge lord but didn't. 

49 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Watched all of Rent-A-Girlfriend, I'm all caught up now and it's definitely a solid anime. I wish the main character grew a bit more over time, but it's pretty heart felt and I've very much enjoyed it. 

Now watching more Jujutsu Kaisen, still enjoying that one. It's a good time. Haven't gotten to the new season yet.

And watched I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too as well, it's a long title but a fun one. I think that it could have gone very much towards an edge lord scenario and it didn't. I like the world building.

And reading, I'm caught up on Shangri-La Frontier. That one is very fun, I like the game world that is created. And another case where they could have gone edge lord but didn't. 

Kazuya is infuriating in how pathetic he is but somehow the show keeps me hooked.

This season of JJK has been way better than season 1.

Haven't finished Cheat Skill but maybe I will.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Buffalo Viking said:

The last episode of AOT was released over the weekend!

I thought it was good but hard to follow along at times.

That was my problem with the last two-ish seasons I watched. I got lost too often. I actually read how it all ended and, while it seems like a lot of people were happy, I am glad I quit a little while ago. I would not have liked that. 

• 2 months later...

I need to start watchin Frieren, I really like the manga. I haven't yet because I know my wife will like it. So I we haven't found time to start it. We're watching Spy X Family and Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War.

[Oshi No Ko] is one that I need to watch as well. I started the manga and it was fun.

I watched a few anime on my days off this week as I was working on doing some sorting/cleaning. I got through all of The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really Love You, which is pretty funny. Not great, but a good background one. And then Tsukimichi which is a solid Isekai. One of the sent to the world by a god, but the god doesn't like the person so they get dumped off somewhere and have to survive in the world. A bit of Reincarnated as a Slime feel to it in terms of tone.

• Like 2