Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

On 1/18/2024 at 9:20 AM, The Gnat said:

I need to start watchin Frieren, I really like the manga. I haven't yet because I know my wife will like it. So I we haven't found time to start it. We're watching Spy X Family and Kaguya-Sama: Love Is War.

[Oshi No Ko] is one that I need to watch as well. I started the manga and it was fun.

I watched a few anime on my days off this week as I was working on doing some sorting/cleaning. I got through all of The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really Love You, which is pretty funny. Not great, but a good background one. And then Tsukimichi which is a solid Isekai. One of the sent to the world by a god, but the god doesn't like the person so they get dumped off somewhere and have to survive in the world. A bit of Reincarnated as a Slime feel to it in terms of tone.

100 GF's was unexpectedly hilarious. The last two episodes had me rolling.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Solo Leveling, if you count episodes 1-2 together because it shouldn't have been broken up into two episodes, is one of the best debuts I've ever seen.

Yup, I'm digging it, but was a slow start, should have jumped in, and then pulled some of the slow start stuff should have gone into episode 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yup, I'm digging it, but was a slow start, should have jumped in, and then pulled some of the slow start stuff should have gone into episode 2.

Yep.

4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

On my list to watch, might not be for a while.

It's good. That, Talentless Nana and Classroom of the Elite are some really underrated ones.

I finished Ranking of Kings season 1 this past weekend and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. It started out very interesting and all the complex characters seemed like they were building up to something, but towards the end of it, seemed like they were just circumventing tropes for the sake of circumventing tropes. I wouldn't say it wasn't enjoyable, but I can't say I would personally recommend it to anyone else either.

• 1 month later...

Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, and many other manga/anime/video game creations passed away on March 1st. He was 68.

Horrible day. I was one of the many folks in America that was mesmerized by Akira Toriyama's imagination  when Dragon Ball was first introduced to a wide audience stateside in mid to late 90s. Been a fan ever since. Still my favorite manga/anime ever. Damn. 😢

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump, and many other manga/anime/video game creations passed away on March 1st. He was 68.

Horrible day. I was one of the many folks in America that was mesmerized by Akira Toriyama's imagination  when Dragon Ball was first introduced to a wide audience stateside in mid to late 90s. Been a fan ever since. Still my favorite manga/anime ever. Damn. 😢

The legacy Akira Toriyama leaves behind is immense. As to which you made anecdote, the impact he had on the American countries and how they viewed Japanese manga and anime changed their cultures to their core. Few people in human (cultural) history can say this.

Yet, Toriyama was never one for the attention or the glamour. I assume the near week-long delay of his passing was to accomodate the privacy of him as well as those near to him. Even though Toriyama has made next to no public appearances or (to a lesser extent) interviews, I feel (and am) so impacted by him; from afar, I pay respects to not only the artist but also the man.

• Like 1

Tecmo and Duluther already summed it up beautifully so all I will say is RIP to a legend.

I think there needs to be a broader conversation in Japan about the amount of work output mangka are putting out and how it relates to their health. These guys shouldn't be dying so young. A few years ago we had Kentaro Muira (Berserk) possibly the GOAT of all mangaka die at 54, Torimiya at 68, and we likely have Togashi (Hunter x Hunter) (58 years old) following sooner rather than later. It just can't go on like this. How are they only living as long as football players with CTE?

For reference here is the schedule of Naruto's mangaka while he was publishing. We are talking about 3-6 hours of sleep a night for years with 0 free time. IIRC he didn't even go on a honeymoon with his wife until 12 years after they were married because that was the only vacation he had.

Then you have Oda (One Piece) whose schedule is something like:

Wake up at 5 a.m., start working.

Continue working through the day, only taking breaks for things like eating.

Go to bed at 2 a.m.

With :

Monday-Wednesday : Layout planning and character dialogue;

Thursday-Saturday : Drawing and inking;

Sunday : Coloring and other tasks.

It's just crazy to me that this is a thing. It seems the younger generation is taking their health more seriously but I'd hate to lose more genius from an unhealthy work culture.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:47 PM, Geek said:

Tecmo and Duluther already summed it up beautifully so all I will say is RIP to a legend.

I think there needs to be a broader conversation in Japan about the amount of work output mangka are putting out and how it relates to their health. These guys shouldn't be dying so young. A few years ago we had Kentaro Muira (Berserk) possibly the GOAT of all mangaka die at 54, Torimiya at 68, and we likely have Togashi (Hunter x Hunter) (58 years old) following sooner rather than later. It just can't go on like this. How are they only living as long as football players with CTE?

For reference here is the schedule of Naruto's mangaka while he was publishing. We are talking about 3-6 hours of sleep a night for years with 0 free time. IIRC he didn't even go on a honeymoon with his wife until 12 years after they were married because that was the only vacation he had.

Then you have Oda (One Piece) whose schedule is something like:

Wake up at 5 a.m., start working.

Continue working through the day, only taking breaks for things like eating.

Go to bed at 2 a.m.

With :

Monday-Wednesday : Layout planning and character dialogue;

Thursday-Saturday : Drawing and inking;

Sunday : Coloring and other tasks.

It's just crazy to me that this is a thing. It seems the younger generation is taking their health more seriously but I'd hate to lose more genius from an unhealthy work culture.

Horikoshi (My Hero Academia) is in his mid 30s and constantly has to take breaks because of health issues. It's insane.

I need to catch up on season 2 of Mashle. I've been watching Shangri-La Frontier and Solo Leveling which I really like both of those. And my wife and I are watching Sign of Affection. Another really good one. It's a romance where the main character is deaf. The storytelling around that is done well and feels different, kind of a different pacing and none of the "will they won't they" that is pretty common.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I need to catch up on season 2 of Mashle. I've been watching Shangri-La Frontier and Solo Leveling which I really like both of those. And my wife and I are watching Sign of Affection. Another really good one. It's a romance where the main character is deaf. The storytelling around that is done well and feels different, kind of a different pacing and none of the "will they won't they" that is pretty common.

It's better than Mashle season 1.

Not big on SLF but Solo Leveling has been great so far.