Anime and Manga Thread.

Supersuavesky

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I just started watching Anime. Death Note was so incredible. Talk about a sophisticated show with a great story!

im watching One Piece now and I really like it. I’m only on season one still but I’ve really enjoyed it.

What recommendations do you have for a complete newbie with no knowledge of the genre 

Basically, I wouldn't view anime as a genre, it's a medium like TV, books, movies, and video games. Within the medium of anime, there are a ton of different genres. If you could add what some of your favorite tv shows, games, and books are it would make it easier to recommend something. But here are a few general recommendations:

One Punch Man is an easy one. It's a great mix of comedy and action.

If you have more time on your hands Attack on Titan is the Game of Thrones of anime (stick with it through season 1.)

Vinland Saga if you have any interest in Vikings and Nordic culture.

Cyberpunk Edgerunners is excellent if you're into Cyberpunk aesthetic/ Cyberpunk 2077 universe (tons of sex and gore so content warning if you're not into that).

Cowboy Bebop. It's my profile picture and what got me into anime. It's got amazing '90s animation and an episodic layout that just gets deeper as the show goes on. Pretty wildly considered one of the GOATS and it's easily accessible due to its god-tier English dub.

• Like 1

To add to that list:

Stiens;Gate - not that long and very good time travel story

Sword Art Online - a solid example of a lot of anime, one of my favorites overall, with the trapped in a game or another world concept, isekai, though not truly an isekai

Toradora - high school romance that is well done

Space Dandy - It's fun light hearted space romp that is completely over the top.

I'm sure that I can think of more as well if you want more suggestions @Rainmaker90. I definitely second Cowboy Bebop as well. @Geek didn't mention it, but the sound track for each episode is amazing.

• Like 1

My middle son has enjoyed the hell out of Naruto, what would be something new he could watch that I could recommend?  I never really got into anime, so I don't really have a good idea of where he could go next.  He's rewatching the series again after going through it all about 9-10 months ago.

50 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

My middle son has enjoyed the hell out of Naruto, what would be something new he could watch that I could recommend?  I never really got into anime, so I don't really have a good idea of where he could go next.  He's rewatching the series again after going through it all about 9-10 months ago.

Demon Slayer, One Piece, Bleach.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Along with what General Tso recommended: My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Haikyuu isn't an action anime, but it is still good and has the shonen trope

On 6/7/2023 at 6:34 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

I just started watching Anime. Death Note was so incredible. Talk about a sophisticated show with a great story!

im watching One Piece now and I really like it. I’m only on season one still but I’ve really enjoyed it.

What recommendations do you have for a complete newbie with no knowledge of the genre 

Hell yeah!

Im in the same boat as you.

Loved Death Note and am super new to anime

I would highly recommend

Chainsaw Man or Akame ga Kill!

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Hell yeah!

Im in the same boat as you.

Loved Death Note and am super new to anime

I would highly recommend

Chainsaw Man or Akame ga Kill!

Chainsaw man looked interesting. One Piece is like 13 seasons lol so I’ll watch something with it 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 5:37 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

Chainsaw man looked interesting. One Piece is like 13 seasons lol so I’ll watch something with it 

I was so underwhelmed by Chainsaw Man. The character design is great but so much of that series was standard shonen/seinen tv but with more blood.

22 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I was so underwhelmed by Chainsaw Man. The character design is great but so much of that series was standard shonen/seinen tv but with more blood.

I'm holding off on judgement of Chainsaw Man for the moment. It was only a 12 episode season and that time was used to introduce characters and world building. They didn't really have time to get deep into a storyline or start developing the characters further. If it is just more of the same with the second season, then I'll be a little underwhelmed as well given it's hype.