We should be happy! Jay Gruden finally got to pick his QB!

19 hours ago, Eric said:

I'm telling you guys we're on the upward trend, it takes time. We have been pretty bad since 92 other than your one year here or there wildcard experience. We were close one year though in a playoff game against Tampa and Brad Johnson forgot how to put the football down for a field goal attempt to win it and advance to NFC championship game. Everything else til now has been pretty bad. Tod Collins gave us a good story one other year but alas that's been about it.

There ain't no magic dust in Grudens pocket to make it happen overnight but we are getting better. If we can find a nose tackle and a running back we will be back in playoffs. We have some good pieces in house, just need a little more 

I believe that was one of the Turk brothers that had a bad snap. 

You're right. Everything has been bad or its risen to mediocre and back to bad. Snyder always sells hope and tries to do just enough to keep butts in the seats. Not realizing that you need to do really bad sometimes to grow (while ALSO having a competent Front Office).

So...how long is this "Rebuild" going to take?

By my count, we're on year 19. Not enough time?

30 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

XHAnJKj.gif

That's me on the right

You're further along than I am in processing our grief (depression = 4th step). I'm still stuck on anger (step 2) mostly.

f1a0918acb4f915f20c28254359aa327.gif

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Not sure I would say it's "terrible," but it certainly isn't good.

On offense:

• We have no starting left guard.
  • We have little to no quality depth across the rest of the offensive line (Ty Nsekhe is the main exception).
  • We have no #1 wide receiver.
  • We have no clear starting running back.

On defense:

• If we go with a three man front, we do not have a nose tackle.
  • We have no go-to pass rusher (whether that is for a three man or a four man front).
  • We have little to no quality depth across the rest of the defensive line.
  • We have no starting inside linebacker opposite Mason Foster.
  • We have no clear starting #2 cornerback.

I think our roster is just okay and not great . Resign brown and sign Allen Robinson and Poe would be the right step . 

As for the #2 corner we have some options in free agency . 

It's just a matter of or if Allen is going to be aggressive .

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I believe that was one of the Turk brothers that had a bad snap. 

You're right. Everything has been bad or its risen to mediocre and back to bad. Snyder always sells hope and tries to do just enough to keep butts in the seats. Not realizing that you need to do really bad sometimes to grow (while ALSO having a competent Front Office).

So...how long is this "Rebuild" going to take?

By my count, we're on year 19. Not enough time?

tn_CAwoodWS_this_one.jpg

I tend to agree with the original post that we do have reason to think Jay can feel comfortable. I don’t believe Kirk let it rip very often. I’m not being overly anxious twards this team I just can’t anymore. But I do like Smith. I was highly upset about Fuller. That said what can we do. I do believe we have a QB that we can win with. Not a Super bowl I’m not saying that I don’t think this team is there but I like the idea of grooming a player behind what I believe to be a intelligent QB. I also think Smith is a better leader. Smith in the playoffs has been solid to really good at times despite the wins and losses. All that said the formula for this teams succsess hasn’t ever changed we have to be a team who can run the ball and we need to infuse the defense with talent beyond what it’s seen in the last decade.

i don’t think we will but this year spending some money in FA would be wise. I believe A Rob would be a great addition. Will we who knows. I know I wouldn’t let Smith walk. I understand his demands but saving a mil or two isn’t worth losing a player who played pro bowl level football last year in our defense. This draft would be about improving the trenches and making this team more physical on offense and defense. I really like the back out of SDST in the second and the best avalible player on defense round 1. There is a lot of ILB depth to this draft if we want to groom a guy behind Foster. All this said I don’t know if I think we will do these things but we have the resourses and cap to improve significantly this offseason. It’s time to stop penny pinching and get Jay the type of players he needs on both sides

On 3/7/2018 at 11:36 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

So Jay got to pick his qb? And combined hes no better than 5th in the NFC East atm at qb. Then depending on what the Giants do, could drop even lower.

There’s a fair amount of pessimistic nonsense in this thread, but this is one I just couldn’t let go. Claiming that Alex Smith (at the moment) is the 5th best QB in the division is patently ludicrous. 

If the Wentz we saw for 13 games last season is for real and here to stay, he’s better. I guess you could reasonably argue for Prescott — if you choose to view the second half of last season (74.0 passer rating) as just an innocent little sophomore swoon and not a guy being brutally exposed without an elite running game and elite protection to prop him up. 

Eli has been awful for consecutive seasons and, at age 37, appears to be entirely done. No reasonable person could argue that at the moment he’s better than Smith.

And then there’s Nick Foles. Who had two wonderful playoff games for Philly. One mediocre playoff game, which followed two mediocre regular season games, which followed one very good regular season game. Classic Foles. He can get hot, there’s no doubt about that. Maybe the streakiest QB in the league. But it’s the same guy who got traded (along with a 2nd rounder essentially) for Sam Bradford, benched for Case Keenum, and rode the pine in 2016 behind...oh that’s right, Alex Smith. Someone should have let Andy Reid know that he was foolishly choosing to play the worse QB. 

And then apparently the Giants could draft a rookie who would also immediately be better than Alex Smith. He of the 50-26 NFL record over the last 5 seasons. He of the top 10 passer rating over the last 5 seasons, right between possible HOFer Philip Rivers and some guy named Cousins. He of the highest passer rating and the highest Adj Y/A in the league last season. Some rookie QB will be better than him too. 

You don’t have to like the trade. There are reasons not to. But it’s getting a little old seeing people talking about Alex Smith like he’s Mark Brunell circa 2004. He’s not.  

28 minutes ago, e16bball said:

There’s a fair amount of pessimistic nonsense in this thread, but this is one I just couldn’t let go. Claiming that Alex Smith (at the moment) is the 5th best QB in the division is patently ludicrous. 

If the Wentz we saw for 13 games last season is for real and here to stay, he’s better. I guess you could reasonably argue for Prescott — if you choose to view the second half of last season (74.0 passer rating) as just an innocent little sophomore swoon and not a guy being brutally exposed without an elite running game and elite protection to prop him up. 

Eli has been awful for consecutive seasons and, at age 37, appears to be entirely done. No reasonable person could argue that at the moment he’s better than Smith.

And then there’s Nick Foles. Who had two wonderful playoff games for Philly. One mediocre playoff game, which followed two mediocre regular season games, which followed one very good regular season game. Classic Foles. He can get hot, there’s no doubt about that. Maybe the streakiest QB in the league. But it’s the same guy who got traded (along with a 2nd rounder essentially) for Sam Bradford, benched for Case Keenum, and rode the pine in 2016 behind...oh that’s right, Alex Smith. Someone should have let Andy Reid know that he was foolishly choosing to play the worse QB. 

And then apparently the Giants could draft a rookie who would also immediately be better than Alex Smith. He of the 50-26 NFL record over the last 5 seasons. He of the top 10 passer rating over the last 5 seasons, right between possible HOFer Philip Rivers and some guy named Cousins. He of the highest passer rating and the highest Adj Y/A in the league last season. Some rookie QB will be better than him too. 

You don’t have to like the trade. There are reasons not to. But it’s getting a little old seeing people talking about Alex Smith like he’s Mark Brunell circa 2004. He’s not.  

KC had a defense he could bank on. And pieces on offense that helps win game. Here. He has the best OLman in the game. And thats it anywhere around him.

Its all of opinion. But to me a old Alex is 5th.  Reid is a tremendous coach. Hes not finding near that level of coaching here to help him be as successful as he was in KC.

Foles just a month ago went toe to toe in a gunslinging shootout against the greatest of all times. And came out victorious. 1 punt is all his offense had. At this very moment, Foles is better. It might not last like that, but just a month ago he had a game in the Super Bowl as good as anyone has ever had any game.

But the point remains. Every team in the NFCE is fighting to improve but the Redskins. Even if Alex is a lateral move. It means its just something else we didnt improve in. While the Eagles go out and add pro bowl pieces. And we should be happy and think we can contend well enough against such in the NFCE? There is nothing about any of it to be happy about.  We could of had Cousins locked down for 5 years at 20per. But just had to have a test season, followed by another. So all focus has been on the qb position the last 5 years at least, and all the other positions go neglected. While all the teams we play twice add all the pieces they need to beat us yet again.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I don't like the trade. And you know I'm as pessimistic as they come when it comes to the Snyderskins. But even I would put Smith as the 2nd best QB in the division.

Wentz, Smith, then the rest.

And yeah, Prescott needs Zeke. Badly

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

KC had a defense he could bank on. And pieces on offense that helps win game. Here. He has the best OLman in the game. And thats it anywhere around him.

Its all of opinion. But to me a old Alex is 5th.  Reid is a tremendous coach. Hes not finding near that level of coaching here to help him be as successful as he was in KC.

Foles just a month ago went toe to toe in a gunslinging shootout against the greatest of all times. And came out victorious. 1 punt is all his offense had. At this very moment, Foles is better. It might not last like that, but just a month ago he had a game in the Super Bowl as good as anyone has ever had any game.

But the point remains. Every team in the NFCE is fighting to improve but the Redskins. Even if Alex is a lateral move. It means its just something else we didnt improve in. While the Eagles go out and add pro bowl pieces. And we should be happy and think we can contend well enough against such in the NFCE? There is nothing about any of it to be happy about.  We could of had Cousins locked down for 5 years at 20per. But just had to have a test season, followed by another. So all focus has been on the qb position the last 5 years at least, and all the other positions go neglected. While all the teams we play twice add all the pieces they need to beat us yet again.

5th in nfc east may be a slight exaggeration, but  thinking and arguing Smith is a great qb is a. much bigger exaggeration. Smith is the epitome of a game manager qb that people derisively and to a point accurately characterized cousins as. But the last two years and especially last year cousins was much more than game manager. Last year with no running game ( because our head coach didn’t want or use one in his formative years that he continually highlights in the Arena league), no blocking tight ends, no full back, and only a number 3 receiver ( crowder) who had a down year cousins put this team in position to win games and our putrid defense folded like a French soldier ( yeah it’s an old reference so if you want an updated one just think Snowflake) Smith, on our team last year with our soft dumb coach ( who has been incapable of getting our players in shape and ready to start the season)  and we are at least two more losses. 

I hope Smith exceeds my expectations but it’s not all on him either. Reid is arguably a HOF coaching candidate. Our defense and special teams are no where near as good as KC. 

Lets see how it goes. I have heard and believe this season is the last rodeo for Bray - (yeah it’s a corny Bruce and Jay combo) and we will know a lot more in just a few more months with player acquisition and reports from Spring workouts. Have you ever seen the Redskins under Gruden practice? If not, you should. It’s as unique and relaxing as a meditating zen massage. The players love it , that is until they get their noses bloodied and butts kicked by guys who actually are preparing to win in battle

43 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't like the trade. And you know I'm as pessimistic as they come when it comes to the Snyderskins. But even I would put Smith as the 2nd best QB in the division.

Wentz, Smith, then the rest.

And yeah, Prescott needs Zeke. Badly

I agree 

I'm telling you guys, Alex is going to bring an element that Cousins wasn't able to.

Alex is much quicker

His drop backs will be quicker

He's an excellent play action passer

He can run

He simply takes what the defense gives you. He's careful with the football.

He understands the importance of not only ball control & TOP, but the flow of the game.

He knows that if he turns the ball over to the other team, it can completely change the momentum of the game.

Cousins was oblivious to this!

I would love to breakdown Alex Smith's career of interceptions by 1st qtr, 2nd qtr, 3rd qtr & 4 qtr.

I bet you a million bucks, he threw more in the 1st half of games, than in the 2nd half.

He simply plays the game smart!

Kind of like what i was talking to my brother the other day playing pool.

We play pool every Sunday at a Sports Bar.

I was about to win the pool game against my brother.

I was down to the 3-ball & the 8-ball.

my brother had 5 stripe balls on the table.

However, I had to shoot my 3, between 2 stripes off a rail, with the 8-ball right up on that side pocket.

What did I do? My Cue ball bounced off my 3, into a stripe, into the 8-ball as it sunk into side pocket and I lost the game.

If i had played it safe and just called no shot or waited for another turn, I would have won the game most likely.

My point is, Alex plays smart. Plays to win! He would have waited for a better shot.

Cousins would have no concept in his brain, to wait for a better shot to win the game.

If that's a Game manager? Then this team needs a game manager!

Archived