Why I Believe Kirk Cousins Will Be A Jet (page 2)

Bobby816

This is in response to Cousins wanting a shorter deal from the last thread.

Exactly he wants 3 years because when he is 33 he is betting on himself that he played well, and that the QB market is insane once again so he can get another massive contract.  I bet he wants a 5 year deal that time around though.  I have no interest in getting him for only 3 years and then having to make him the highest paid player in the NFL again right as we are probably getting to where we need to be to be a good team.  I can't wait for FA to open so he can sign with the Vikings and i can breath easy again.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Exactly he wants 3 years because when he is 33 he is betting on himself that he played well, and that the QB market is insane once again so he can get another massive contract.  I bet he wants a 5 year deal that time around though.  I have no interest in getting him for only 3 years and then having to make him the highest paid player in the NFL again right as we are probably getting to where we need to be to be a good team.  I can't wait for FA to open so he can sign with the Vikings and i can breath easy again.

Also, I am sure Cousins wants no franchise tag edibility in 3 year contract.  That is dangerous for Jets the long team builder.

I don't mind having Cousins as long as Jets actually go for playoff every year, not just "winning" game to keep attitude in high spirit.

If he averages $30M a year on a 5 year deal $150M with $60M in year 1 that is huge.

I'd sign up to fully guarantee this deal:

Year 1 - $60M

Year 2 - $35M (can't be less than half the first year)

Year 3 - $19M

Year 4 - $18M

Year 5 - $18M

Expected Cap:

2018 - Cap $180M~   

2019 - Cap $190M

2020 - Cap $200M (This is the year our first rookies come off their deals Leo/Jenkins)

2021 - Cap $210M

2022 - Cap $220M

Percentage of cap taken up:

2018 - 30%

2019 - 18.4%

2020 - 9.5%

2021 - 8.5%

2022 - 8.2%

Now to get to the point. Here is what that equates to if those percentages were related to the 2017 QBs and their cap percentages:

2018 - 1st highest paid QB

2019 - 1st highest paid QB

2020 - Same percentage as 18th highest paid QB in 2017

2021 - Same percentage as 21st highest paid QB in 2017

2022 - Same percentage as 21st highest paid QB in 2017

This is why front loading a Cousins deal is so huge. We'd still have plenty of cap to sign talent in 2018 and 2019 when his cap hits are astronomically high but those final years are so low that you can easily surround him with talent while also keeping all your draft picks. You may not think he is worth it to be the highest paid QB but I certainly think he is worth being paid as the 18th-21st highest paid QB and if signing him to a massive deal allows for that then I'd guarantee every penny of it.

32 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Yes I know why he wants a 3 years deal, we should not be interested in that. Players sign 5 year deals all the time, I was just laying out the benefit for signing him to the deal people loosely think he'd get. He is gambling on himself if he takes a 3 year deal because he knows other QBs are going to make a ton of money so that deal at 32 years old is going to be even higher than the $30M per season he'd get now. 

31 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Also, I am sure Cousins wants no franchise tag edibility in 3 year contract.  That is dangerous for Jets the long team builder.

I don't mind having Cousins as long as Jets actually go for playoff every year, not just "winning" game to keep attitude in high spirit.

He may not mind the franchise tag because he got to pick the team he went to. With Washington he was forced to stay on a team that he didn't choose. The only benefit for us and Cousins is on a long term 5-6 year deal.

I'll say Kirk Cousins gets a 5 year $140mil contract  with $60 million signing bonus

2018 -  Salary - $18mil  cap hit: $30mil  (fully guaranteed)

2019 - Salary - $19mil cap hit: $31mil (fully guaranteed)

2020 - Salary - $15mil cap hit: $27mil (fully guaranteed)

2021 -Salary - $14mil cap hit: $26mil  

2022 - Salary - $14mil cap hit: $26mil

1 hour ago, famousj said:

I'll say Kirk Cousins gets a 5 year $140mil contract  with $60 million signing bonus

2018 -  Salary - $18mil  cap hit: $30mil  (fully guaranteed)

2019 - Salary - $19mil cap hit: $31mil (fully guaranteed)

2020 - Salary - $15mil cap hit: $27mil (fully guaranteed)

2021 -Salary - $14mil cap hit: $26mil  

2022 - Salary - $14mil cap hit: $26mil

I would be surprised if he accepted this deal.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

He may not mind the franchise tag because he got to pick the team he went to. With Washington he was forced to stay on a team that he didn't choose. The only benefit for us and Cousins is on a long term 5-6 year deal.

That could happen, especially 144% increase.

Im over this Cousins to Jets nonsense. If he wants a 3 year deal im good. Id rather sign a lesser guy and finally just draft our guy. Cousins has a ton of talent and it would be exciting to get him, but its not realistic and each new stipulation with him is becoming more and more counter intuitive. I want to be a playoff team again, but not to  just put together a team that can make it just one year, but year after year. Bring in a still relatively young player and still take a guy at 6. That position needs to be solidified, and if that means doubling down, its time. Vikings will be a heck of a team with Cousins, lets for once have an easier position to fill as our missing piece. 

10 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

Cousins wants.to be the Revis of QBs.

Justin the contractual sense though. 

That is what I have been thinking of Cousins. However, it is good thing that he acknowledged NFL that he may take short contract rather than take a big contract and then proceed some pain in the butt holdout.   A holdout from QB never is a good thing.

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Im over this Cousins to Jets nonsense. If he wants a 3 year deal im good. Id rather sign a lesser guy and finally just draft our guy. Cousins has a ton of talent and it would be exciting to get him, but its not realistic and each new stipulation with him is becoming more and more counter intuitive. I want to be a playoff team again, but not to  just put together a team that can make it just one year, but year after year. Bring in a still relatively young player and still take a guy at 6. That position needs to be solidified, and if that means doubling down, its time. Vikings will be a heck of a team with Cousins, lets for once have an easier position to fill as our missing piece. 

I am starting to feel the same way, we are beating this Cousins thing to death. Cousins knows he is going to get his money, the whole key is will he want to come to New Jersey with our current roster? I feel our roster is the only thing that would make him go somewhere else, it is that simple.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I am starting to feel the same way, we are beating this Cousins thing to death. Cousins knows he is going to get his money, the whole key is will he want to come to New Jersey with our current roster? I feel our roster is the only thing that would make him go somewhere else, it is that simple.

He’s going to get paid more here though. We tend to look at athletes and not realize actually how much money they get. The difference in Cousins coming here or Minnesota can be 30mill. Now you can look and say well he’s still going to make 90mill in Minnesota. But at the end of the day... 30mill is 30mill and that’s why most players take money over roster.

46 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s going to get paid more here though. We tend to look at athletes and not realize actually how much money they get. The difference in Cousins coming here or Minnesota can be 30mill. Now you can look and say well he’s still going to make 90mill in Minnesota. But at the end of the day... 30mill is 30mill and that’s why most players take money over roster.

Rosters can change pretty quick too. How many teams Iv dropped off the face of the earth and others have gone from a top 5 pick to playoffs the following year. 

From a business prospective you take the extra $30m all day. 

Archived