Broncos trade Talib to Rams

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

TBH, it's pretty close to a 6th.   I think Phillips probably convinced Snead that Talib would fit like a glove with Peters in his scheme.   

I gotta say, after SF pulled out, though, I'll take it.  We weren't going to do any better.   Some guys on our forum were saying 1st, or a 2nd/4th.   At least this offseason has helped reshape the thinking to a more realistic view in this cap era.

We're sitting on like four or five 6th's at this point.  If you guys had wanted a 6th, we could have accommodated you.;)

2 hours ago, yrba1 said:

That's if we stay healthy, too bad Peters and Talib are under short term contracts. That secondary will get decimated fast if Peters is just a two-year rental.

Rams have him for 3yrs minimum. They could tag him in the 3rd yr. 

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

We just franchise tagged our free safety and our strong safety was a 3rd round pick this past draft. I don't think he's an option at safety.

Not to mention, I think fans grossly overestimate how often the "aging corner moved to safety" thing ever actually occurs.  it's not all that common.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Let's face it, Fisher's reach has extended far and wide.   Snead has really acquitted himself well since Fisher left....as have Keenum, Goff & Foles.   Fisher's not just a QB killer, we can now officially call him a football serial killer.

It's an oldie but goodie, now we can add Snead to this classic photo...

Speaking to this... I feel like we were deprived of a golden opportunity by Bud Adams.  Didn't Fisher originally want Cutler (and Norm Chow wanted Leinart and it was Adams that wanted Vince Young)?  What sheer schadenfreude that could have been for us to enjoy as neutrals?

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not to mention, I think fans grossly overestimate how often the "aging corner moved to safety" thing ever actually occurs.  it's not all that common.

Agreed.  I think a lot of that has to do with Charles Woodson and how great he was at different positions and playing in different roles.  But Charles Woodson is one of the greatest defensive backs to ever play the game.  Not many like him.

34 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

So many threads this could go in. Like a few have said the moves by Les Snead lately have been amazing and Siciliano put it all in one tweet.

Wade Phillips defense is a cornerback type scheme because they play so much man to man. Peters and Talib are lock down man to man cornerbacks. Joyner is great in coverage as a safety and the rookie from last season John Johnson played well in his first season when he took over the starting job after the Rams cut Mo Alexander. PFF graded Johnson 2nd behind Saints S Marcus Williams as having the best rookie season at the position.

So Wade will find linebackers to fit his scheme even if they aren’t household names. 

Only thing I have to say about this is that I don't think it's a good idea to pair Peters with a player who can let their emotions rue the day. I'd rather have seen Peters paired with a role model type like he had in KC with Berry. Hopefully Talib doesn't have any negative effect here and if he doesn't, that's gonna be quite a secondary to face off with.

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Speaking to this... I feel like we were deprived of a golden opportunity by Bud Adams.  Didn't Fisher originally want Cutler (and Norm Chow wanted Leinart and it was Adams that wanted Vince Young)?  What sheer schadenfreude that could have been for us to enjoy as neutrals?

It would answer the timeless question of: Who survives, the QB Killer or the Coach Killer?

5 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Only thing I have to say about this is that I don't think it's a good idea to pair Peters with a player who can let their emotions rue the day. I'd rather have seen Peters paired with a role model type like he had in KC with Berry. Hopefully Talib doesn't have any negative effect here and if he doesn't, that's gonna be quite a secondary to face off with.

I think that may be where Sam Shields comes in.  That's actually the contract I'll be interested to see, because it could just be a 1-year type deal that doesn't guarantee much, i.e. a security blanket to not force hands in the draft and a veteran presence from a winning culture to play "mentor"/role model to Peters.

Just now, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Has a team ever added this much new talent at one position before the draft? 

Sounds like a rhetorical question for someone with an Eagle in his avy.

Asante Samuel and Nnamdi Asomugha was lit back in the day.

Just now, chris00cm said:

Sounds like a rhetorical question for someone with an Eagle in his avy.

Asante Samuel and Nnamdi Asomugha was lit back in the day.

Asante was already an Eagle for several years, and we got Nnamdi well after the draft (that was the lockout year so FA came very late).

Adding 2-3 starter caliber players to one position group in the period between the end of the season and the draft is not something I can recall seeing before.

Archived