Broncos trade Talib to Rams

49erurtaza

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Let's face it, Fisher's reach has extended far and wide.   Snead has really acquitted himself well since Fisher left....as have Keenum, Goff & Foles.   Fisher's not just a QB killer, we can now officially call him a football serial killer.

It's an oldie but goodie, now we can add Snead to this classic photo...

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

Speaking to this... I feel like we were deprived of a golden opportunity by Bud Adams.  Didn't Fisher originally want Cutler (and Norm Chow wanted Leinart and it was Adams that wanted Vince Young)?  What sheer schadenfreude that could have been for us to enjoy as neutrals?

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It would answer the timeless question of: Who survives, the QB Killer or the Coach Killer?

Little known fact - the NFL vetoed the move to join Cutler and Fisher when scientists explained the risk that the universe would not survive 2 black holes coming into contact with each other.   

https://futurism.com/heres-what-it-looks-like-when-two-black-holes-collide/

Crisis averted.  

Les Snead's balls must weigh him down. Certainly following the Howie Roseman model. Destroy your cap while your superstar QB is on a rookie deal. In 3 years the Rams and Eagles will be in an interesting position. And by interesting, I mean terrifying. 

28 minutes ago, ianlewis16 said:

Les Snead's balls must weigh him down. Certainly following the Howie Roseman model. Destroy your cap while your superstar QB is on a rookie deal. In 3 years the Rams and Eagles will be in an interesting position. And by interesting, I mean terrifying. 

Did you read the post @Broncofan laid out? We didn't destroy our cap...

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Add it all up - LAR is in fine shape - 38M still left this year, 80M for 2019, 135M for 2020.  Yes, they will need to get Sullivan retained this year, Donald/Joyner extended next offseason, and Gurley/Goff & soon Peters after 2019.  But they've got more than enough room to get it all done, and still be OK.  Again, full credit to Snead, he's going for it now...without compromising his team's long-term cap health.   Tip my cap.

Nice write up. The Patriots, Eagles and now Rams are realizing the market inefficency of end of contract vets and the over-valuation of late round picks. Two years of high level play on controlled costs is a much better return than what you actually get with later round picks (mostly busts and often are only good for the final two years of their rookie contract anyways).  These teams are showing true roster building. We all know that the high priced FA guys aren't the best strategy but its clear that waiting for the mythical draft where you hit on everyone and they are all great from day 1 isn't a winning strategy either. Ditto for moving guys that aren't great system fits (Quinn, Ogletree) for value and to use the cap in more productive ways. Its easy to fall in love with the team making all of the moves but this really is a master class of team building going on.

It's the right move for Denver. They need to get younger and clean up some of their cap situation. Inevitably some tough decisions need to be made. That they even got a 5th for him is impressive considering he really only wanted to go to two teams. It's a bummer to lose him, but we did accomplish the ultimate goal of a title, so Denver is correctly looking forward and repositioning the roster to contend in the future.

I don't think this has anything to do with Cousins (I don't think he's coming here), but I believe the goal here is to have enough space to replenish with younger talent.

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Nice write up. The Patriots, Eagles and now Rams are realizing the market inefficency of end of contract vets and the over-valuation of late round picks. Two years of high level play on controlled costs is a much better return than what you actually get with later round picks (mostly busts and often are only good for the final two years of their rookie contract anyways).  These teams are showing true roster building. We all know that the high priced FA guys aren't the best strategy but its clear that waiting for the mythical draft where you hit on everyone and they are all great from day 1 isn't a winning strategy either. Ditto for moving guys that aren't great system fits (Quinn, Ogletree) for value and to use the cap in more productive ways. Its easy to fall in love with the team making all of the moves but this really is a master class of team building going on.

To be precise - I don't think there's a market inefficiency on over-valuation of late round picks.    Teams aren't saying "man I really want a 5th rounder for Talib, that's awesome".   It's more the reality that cap management matters.  End-of-contract vets are a market inefficiency for contenders - but for rebuilding teams, or teams stuck in cap hell, they are albatrosses to their future development (for rebuilders) and/or to establish cap health to address more important priorities (teams in cap hell).  Teams aren't targeting a Day 3 pick as incredibly valuable by itself - they need to shed an expensive contract so they either can get younger and re-invest in a more balanced team (DEN), or they just need the space to make other moves.      

Given that we need to get younger, and get a more balanced team, and we have to decide on our 2nd (prev. 3rd) CB Roby after his rookie deal expires - cutting Talib was a very real possibility.  With or without Talib, we aren't serious contenders.   Our 2019+ hope in contending lies with developing cheaper, younger talent - Talib won't be around when we can realistically contend.   In that context, fans are happy we got a 5th - but we needed to clear the space.   Getting a 5th was just a bonus.   That's not an overvaluation of the pick's merits, it's the need to clear space that drives these deals - the picks are just extra value. 

Snead hasn't just acquired end-of-contract vets - he's also shed 2 high-$ contracts on guys who are bad fits for Wade's scheme.   So it's not like the Rams and Eagles are suddenly geniuses and everyone else is catching up (although Roseman I truly tip my cap for his 2016-17 work, and have said so earlier).   I would say that the GM's that do the same practice of paying for high-priced vets when they aren't in true contention are very poor cap managers - and are killing their team's long-term contention chances with these moves.  Which is fine if you are a legit win-now team.  If you aren't, it's smart to do what Elway did with Talib.   Talib's not a lock that he'll decline further from his very modest 2017 decline - but it's still a move DEN had to make, given we frankly are nowhere close to 2018 contenders.   

What makes Snead noteworthy is not that he's just going for it with the Talib/Peters acquisition - he's balancing his team's cap health and resource allocation by shedding high-priced guys who don't fit the new D scheme.  THAT is really hard to do.   Why I really tip my cap to him (just as I did to Roseman, who had to manage cap hell, and was able to get out of it enough to field the most complete team - he did get really lucky with the Bradford/MIN deal presenting itself 2 years ago, but everything else he did was all his skill and savvy there - this offseason, it's all Snead's vision, fearlessness, and creativity).   Full marks.

P.S.  FWIW, if a contender wants to get better right away, the draft could hit on 1-2 guys, 3 is elite for year 1 - but much tougher with late-round picks, even 1 is a stretch for year 1.  So yeah, FA/trade is the way to go for sure.  Totally agree there.   But I wouldn't go overboard and call late picks overvalued - they're just seen as extra value, the cap clearance is what matters there (as a contrast, Peters' contract was very reasonable and a bargain even next year, so he got a 2nd and 4th...which have more value - but there were other reasons to trade him, not just the picks, there the picks made it palatable for KC).

Archived