Let's Delve Into Dalvin Cook

Klomp

I think my favorite thing about his game early is how he doesn't give up a play. Whether it's pushing the pile or fighting for extra yards, he rarely goes down easily.

It's not a standout play if you just look at the stat sheet, but the fact that this screengrab is of a 2-yard run is actually pretty impressive.

HuJAAw.png

3 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Man it's crazy how he has had less rushes and more yards then Adrian Peterson back in 07. To make it even crazier, our runblocking back in 07 was top 3 in the league, we haven't had great run blocking this year and dalvin still snaps. He's a tremendous back, happy I picked him up in fantasy 

Reflecting back on that season, Chester Taylor was used heavily. The Vikes aren't really using a second RB regularly in the ground game. That may have to change as the season goes on to prevent overuse. Cook at 27 carries seemed high, his average was under 4 against Tampa. Wouldn't mind seeing Murray get some carries in games like the Tampa game.

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

I think my favorite thing about his game early is how he doesn't give up a play. Whether it's pushing the pile or fighting for extra yards, he rarely goes down easily.

Cook averaged an impressive 3.0 yards after contact and forced six missed tackles.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/09/dalvin-cook-exactly-vikings-offense-needed/

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Reflecting back on that season, Chester Taylor was used heavily. The Vikes aren't really using a second RB regularly in the ground game. That may have to change as the season goes on to prevent overuse. Cook at 27 carries seemed high, his average was under 4 against Tampa. Wouldn't mind seeing Murray get some carries in games like the Tampa game.

I was thinking of refraining from my post because of Adrian not getting the starting nod until after the bears game. But still Adrian did have more carries at this point. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

we would be wise to utilize our other runningbacks a little more. I was surprised at how little we used McKinnon yesterday. with their injuries I thought he'd be a good option to throw to from the backfield. 

Dalvin Cook racked up 169 yards of total offense Sunday against the Buccaneers, breaking loose for a 26-yard run and also rumbling 36 yards on a swing pass. Surely one of those plays was his favorite from the 34-17 win, right? How about his first career touchdown on a 1-yard dive? Nope, guess again. 

The Vikings rookie running back met with the media Monday and said his favorite play was one where he never touched the ball. Instead, Cook stepped up to block All-Pro defensive tackle Gerald McCoy to help the Vikings connect on a 17-yard pass play on the opening play of the second quarter.The play initially called for quarterback Case Keenum to fake a handoff to Cook, but the running back had to abort the play action to jump up in the pocket and move McCoy out of his quarterback’s way.

Cook: “That was my play of the game, right there. I got to block Gerald. I seen him bust through, and I was like, ‘You gotta drop your weight down, because he’s coming.’ “I kind of got in the way a little bit, trying to get him off the spot so Case could have room to throw the ball. Pass protection is all about will and wanting to get it done, and I just wanted to keep Case up and wanted him to throw the football, so I had to stand in the way.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/NOTEBOOK-Cook-Explains-Favorite-Play-from-Sundays-Win/652f3156-f18c-489f-833a-09ec27f2e819?sf116710096=1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

there's a lot to talk about Cook's physical skills and team manship, but what about how it looks like SPielman et al analyzed correctly about his past personal problems not becoming current issues?

well done.

It’s still very early to say they aren’t going to be problems. He’s heading the right direction, but I want to see how he handles a couple of offseasons before I trust he’s left his posse behind. 

Whatever plans the Vikings had for a shared backfield appear to be in hock for now, as Cook has logged the second-most carries in the league through three games and has 74.3 percent of the team’s rushing attempts for the season (not counting a combined five kneeldowns from Keenum and Sam Bradford). Jerick McKinnon has only eight carries for the season and Latavius Murray has just seven, as the Vikings have let Cook touch the ball on 71 of their 202 offensive plays. That’s a Peterson-like 35.1 percent of the Vikings’ plays (though Cook is getting his touches in two ways, not just one), and it will be interesting to see if the Vikings look to curb some of the running back’s touches throughout the season, in an effort to keep him fresh for a second-half schedule stocked with road games.

For now, though, there’s no reason Cook shouldn’t be called a featured back — especially since he’s making himself an integral piece of just about every piece of the Vikings’ offense. His performance on Sunday showed he’s going to be hard for the Vikings to take off the field.

http://www.startribune.com/dalvin-cook-the-total-package-for-vikings-through-3-weeks/447642733/

Cook: “Nothing ever comes easy. Nothing ever in life comes easy. It’s all hard work. Every week, every Monday, every time coach calls practice I’m going to put my hard hat on and go to work. That’s every week, it’s the same game plan. It’s just go to work, work hard and live with the outcome. I think once you’re out on the field, a lot of it goes out the window because if you get two guys one-on-one and one of them just wants to make the play more than the other, that’s just what it comes down to. So if you don’t get the biggest guy to make the play, it’s just the person that wants to go out there and make the play more than the other person.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-RB-Dalvin-Cook-Its-all-about-will-108121941

guy doesn't sound like a rookie.

• Like 1