Browns expected to trade for Jarvis Landry

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

I've been amazed how many bad contracts they have taken on the last few seasons. They have become the NFL's contract dumpter (Eagles and Rams mainly taking advantage). A shame they will be forced to release the second best DT in the league for financial reasons.

I actually like the Quinn trade depending on what they do this offseaon with the D-line. Suh is a very good player, but he doesn't make enough game changing plays that warrant crippling the franchise. I was never a fan of that move. The defense has still been bad with him. Just like the offense was still bad with Landry. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not trying to sound rude, but are you being serious?

They totally wasted having 3 first round picks taking a position less defensive player and a TE in the first. The last regime was building another dud, now they have half the Packers old regime in there.

Now they get a guy who's going to be a safety valve for a young franchise QB and you act like they should just give up.

This was a decent move for Cleveland.

I think Garrett and Njoku are going to be premier players in this league, don't think it was a waste at all. Drafting a QB and putting him in a poor position to succeed would've been a larger waste.

2 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

I actually like the Quinn trade depending on what they do this offseaon with the D-line. Suh is a very good player, but he doesn't make enough game changing plays that warrant crippling the franchise. I was never a fan of that move. The defense has still been bad with him. Just like the offense was still bad with Landry. 

You guys are probably paying market value for Quinn, so I think that'll be fine. But Hayes, Alonso, Maxwell were the other players that came to mind. I've always put the blame on Mike Tannenbaum for being the "cap genius."

2 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Respect both point of views. I've always been the smallest Landry advocate (on the entire forum it seems), so I'm the last person you'll want to listen to for an opinion. People like Landry and that's fine. Just knowing how Sashi Brown did things, I know he would have NEVER signed off on this move. I just worry for what was a bright future for this organization. I was hoping Paul DePodesta and the rest of the Brown's staff that still remains would have an influence on John Dorsey, but this is a classic John Dorsey move. The Chiefs were lucky enough to rid him before their situation become a hot mess (although they have had the worst cap situation in the league the last few seasons), and I just did not want to see him make the same mistakes in Cleveland.

It might be a little early to base the entire future Dorsey M.O. prediction off of this one move - especially because, as you mentioned, DePo is still in the front office as well. Sashi went 1-31 as our GM, and presided over losing teams in his previous Browns and Jaguars front office gigs. Dorsey got his teams to the playoffs. As someone who hasn't seen their team play competitive football since 1997, I'm willing to trade cap problems 5 years down the road for a window of winning and contention. I respect how Sashi set us up for this year, but his way of doing things has not proven to be a winning formula anywhere but on paper, so I don't see a compelling reason to hew to that formula 100% now. There could be a middle ground between always trading away picks for future capital, having the most cap space in the league, yet always losing, and always overpaying and being in cap hell. I'm hoping the team the Browns have in place now find that way and start winning some games.

1 minute ago, chris00cm said:

I think Garrett and Njoku are going to be premier players in this league, don't think it was a waste at all. Drafting a QB and putting him in a poor position to succeed would've been a larger waste.

They passed on TJ Watt, Tre White, Kevin King, Takk McKinley, Ryan Ramczyk, pass rushers, corners and OT, prime positions in the NFL and all higher rated players than who they took. It was a waste. Imagine that defense had they added Garrett, Watt and White?

Just now, chris00cm said:

You guys are probably paying market value for Quinn, so I think that'll be fine. But Hayes, Alonso, Maxwell were the other players that came to mind. I've always put the blame on Mike Tannenbaum for being the "cap genius."

Trust me most Dolphin fans agree. Alonso can't cover a broom stick. Maxwell outside a couple of games was getting beat left and right. It did get us Tunsil though. 

I was happy with the Hayes trade. He just got hurt. I think Miami's trades with LA have been fine for both teams. 

41 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Exactly. Kenny Stills was your guy's best slot receiver. Dolphins deserve a ton of credit for making a fabulous move here, and having the forward-thinking approach of signing Stills last off-season for pennies of what Landry will get.

How is it a fabulous move? They got a couple mid round picks for a guy that has produced over 400 catches. The Browns have a ton of cap space and a ton of picks and you're prancing around acting like they gave up premium for camp fodder. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How is it a fabulous move? They got a couple mid round picks for a guy that has produced over 400 catches. The Browns have a ton of cap space and a ton of picks and you're prancing around acting like they gave up premium for camp fodder. 

One, Landry is the most overrated receiver in the league. But besides that,

The Browns bailed out the Dolphins. They made the egregious decision to franchise tag a player they had ZERO intentions on keeping and rewarded them for it. Gonna set a bad precedent in the future.

Third, there's no reason to give up draft picks with free agency around the corner. Plenty of players available that are just as efficient as Landry.

Archived