Browns acquire Damarious Randall CB from Packers

bosko1616

10 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Im dying to know this 4th trade. We should make predictions; winner gets a shiney new not a dam thing.

Quick predict off the top of my head: Kyle Fuller, and it cant be announced til he signs his transition tag.

Could also be Earl Thomas. Seattles on fire-sale island right now.

17 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Quick predict off the top of my head: Kyle Fuller, and it cant be announced til he signs his transition tag.

Could also be Earl Thomas. Seattles on fire-sale island right now.

My first guess was Thomas. Dunno if we wanna give up a 2nd for him, or if the Seahawks accept a 4th.

My thoughts on this trade:

I'm not mad about losing Kizer. I really like him as a kid, he's physically gifted, has a good head on his shoulders, and tried his best, but was put in an awful situation too soon. Sitting behind Rogers may be the best possible thing to rebuild his confidence and give him a shot at a career as an NFL QB. But, not a huge loss for us, as we are obviously going with a rookie, and neither our player nor our fans can un-see all of those turnovers (particularly the horrific red zone ones), so parting ways and recouping value for him is a win-win move.

In getting Randall, we get a player members of the front office are familiar with, so they must have a plan with where/how to use him and think he can help. Whether as a CB or FS, looks like we can plug him in as a starter who has some talent, and experience, and we need those types of guys on this young team. Hit on another FA or draft pick in the secondary, and all of a sudden we are looking solid there. Good job by the FO of targeting a need area and not giving up something in return that we couldn't afford to lose.

19 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What does any of this have to do with the draft?

Absolutely nothing, we are still drafting Darnold unless Allen blows Dorsey away at his pro day, and #4 is still up for grabs with Barkley a possibility, but we could also trade the pick, or take Chubb or Fitzpatrick. We probably will not know till the draft!!! Either way, we are in a very strong position in this draft.

Typically, the world knows who is going #1 prior to draft day. Unfortunately, I’m thinking that won’t be the case this year. With the Browns (possibly) picking at #4, they won’t want to tip their hand. They could try to prevent some maneuvering at 2/3 if they are banking on a player at 4 being there. 

This moves makes perfect sense in light of Williams' scheme preferences. Randall is a former safety who has shown the ability to pick the ball off. Williams values playmaking and tackling highly with his CBs. Those of you who think you're going to press a lot more often next year, I have bad news for you, that's not Williams' scheme. He almost always will have your CBs giving up cushions. He plays a bend but don't break defense that thrives on negative plays and tightens up in the red-zone.

I think y'all will be interested in Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson in the Draft at CB. If you go with a CB in FA, I'd look for a guy like Trumaine Johnson, E.J. Gaines, or Aaron Colvin. With safeties in FA, Eric Reid or T.J. Ward would fit well at FS in his scheme. Williams likes bigger guys with good range who will bring the lumber. At SS, guys like Kenny Vaccaro and Morgan Burnett make sense. However, I think there's a solid chance that Peppers moves to SS next year if he finds the right FS. In the Draft, keep Derwin James, Ronnie Harrison, Terrell Edmunds, Kyzir White, Marcus Allen, and Armani Watts in mind.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:15 PM, ohiogenius said:

I was reading the packer forum and someone said once he moved from the outside to the slot he started playing well.

We still need two CBs

He was playing on the outside plenty last year when he was playing well actually. I kinda remember the opposite, honestly.

Archived