1. What flaws does each have?

Josh Rosen--Mobility

Sam Darnold--Turnovers

Baker Mayfield--Size and scheme

Josh Allen--Accuracy

Lamar Jackson--Scheme and accuracy

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

2. What flaws can be overcome?

The most likely out of these to improve is Darnold's turnovers. It's not a poor decision thing; it's a fumbling problem.

3. Whose flaws are the most glaring?

I think Mayfield's size stands out as being pretty damning. He'd be the top guy if he were 6'5.

4. Could a certain team's scheme help mask the flaws of the top guys?

Rosen--He would be great in most schemes outside of a bootleg system.

Darnold--Can play in any scheme.

Mayfield--Needs to be in the Gun more than the other QB's.

Allen--Vertical shot team that focuses on running the ball and then big play action shots.

Jackson--Too great of an athlete to not use him in the gun and run RPO's/QB read plays. Will fail in a traditional offense.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Josh Rosen--Mobility

Sam Darnold--Turnovers

Baker Mayfield--Size and scheme

Josh Allen--Accuracy

Lamar Jackson--Scheme and accuracy

The most likely out of these to improve is Darnold's turnovers. It's not a poor decision thing; it's a fumbling problem.

I think Mayfield's size stands out as being pretty damning. He'd be the top guy if he were 6'5.

Rosen--He would be great in most schemes outside of a bootleg system.

Darnold--Can play in any scheme.

Mayfield--Needs to be in the Gun more than the other QB's.

Allen--Vertical shot team that focuses on running the ball and then big play action shots.

Jackson--Too great of an athlete to not use him in the gun and run RPO's/QB read plays. Will fail in a traditional offense.

I like all this except I would add to Rosen's resume, 2 concussions and a separated shoulder, Mobility is a huge red flag for Rosen and I can see him ending up as the 4th QB chosen on draft day because of it. He is being compared to Bradford and that would scare the h.ll out of me if I were a GM.

No doubt, he would be in the running for the 1st overall pick based on talent alone, but when you factor in his immobility, he will drop to the 4th QB chosen, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Darnold could end up like David Carr.  GUy just can't handle pressure.

This is dumb. All he needs to do is keep two hands on the football and get rid of it quicker. He's the best out of the QB's at delivering accurate balls down the field in the face of the rush. He just gets strip sacked too much. It's not that he can't mentally handle dealing with a lot of bodies around him.

Josh Rosen: Might be an ******* and/or diva.  Doesn't move particularly well and has had a bunch of big hits and injuries as a result.  Has great and natural mechanics, but the raw arm talent is kinda medium+.  Makes some absolutely confounding decisions at times.  What's his "upside" to counterbalance the risk inherent to top draft pick QBs?

Josh Allen: Seriously detrimental hero complex, trying to extend plays and make throws that just aren't there.  Erratic footwork. Flashes of confused pocket presence, though behind a porous OLine.  Off target throws...though largely related to the previous flaws imo.  Very inexperienced coming out, and not used to a "big stage".

Baker Mayfield: Short, and not the most athletic guy out there.  Will his elusiveness fully translate?  Coming out of a mirage prone spread system that flatters QBs bigtime, compounding with his improvisation ability for a lot less tight window big boy throws than i'd want to see.  Multiple significant immaturity flags that are always risky if you're talking about potentially making the guy the face of your franchise and never know when he might do a crotch grab on MNF or get hammered and run from the cops or whatever.

Lamar Jackson: Totally unrefined passer.  Played in a simplified system, even more simplified by the volume and threat of his running ability.  Real quick read or run stuff, consistently pulling defenders down out of coverage.  Simplifying reads and making for wider windows downfield.  Doesn't make true rhythm throws. Footwork is basically nonexistant a lot of the time.  Have to wonder if his frame will hold up to the punishment of that sort of running game to simplify the passing game for him, at the pro level.

Sam Darnold: Terrible throwing motion, heaps of turnovers...some of them related to his big ol' Leftwich/Bortles loop.  Not as big or athletic as advertised.  Doesn't have a great arm, even with that extra windup.  That ghastly Ohio State game tape.  Good heavens, that does not look anything remotely like a 1st round QB...much less a Top5/10 guy.

Luke Falk: Battered QB syndrome, on account of his faulty internal clock.  Constantly holds the ball way too long, and gets punished for it.  Obviously coming out of that Air Raid system.  Great short-intermediate arm with touch and anticipation, but deep balls can be a real struggle.  Zero running ability.

Mike White: Battered QB syndrome as well, on account of slow feet behind an absolutely terrible OLine.  Big arm, but inconsistent in getting the ball out quickly.  Also coming out of a kind of misleading system.  Concerning growing tendency to throw stupid balls off the back foot fading away.  Sometimes completely lacks touch, and with inconsistent placement.  Unsophisticated reads and tendency to lock on to a target hard.

Mason Rudolph: Noodle arm spread system QB.  Deeper throws sail and are more "throw deep left" or "throw deep right" than anything else, relying on WRs to adjust and bail him out.  Doesn't throw a lot of precise rhythm throws in the intermediate game, or a wide variety of routes in general, and can't drive the ball to the outside.  Moves alright in the pocket with decent feel, but sucks at actually making throws once he's move off his spot.

That's some QB Flaws notes, by me.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, smokeybandit said:

Darnold could end up like David Carr.  GUy just can't handle pressure.

What happened with David Carr was unforgivable and hardly his fault. He was battered behind that swinging gate that people dared to call an OLine. Tom Brady would have been out of the league in under 5 years and so would have anyone else for that matter.

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Mason Rudolph: Noodle arm spread system QB.  Deeper throws sail and are more "throw deep left" or "throw deep right" than anything else, relying on WRs to adjust and bail him out.  Doesn't throw a lot of precise rhythm throws in the intermediate game, or a wide variety of routes in general, and can't drive the ball to the outside.  Moves alright in the pocket with decent feel, but sucks at actually making throws once he's move off his spot.

I think you’re going to be upset the night of April 26. 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

I think you’re going to be upset the night of April 26. 

Probably.  xD

2 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Agreed, though remember that he is just listing the issues, lest people freak out and decide all of these QBs are trash. You could have made this type of post about every prospect except maybe Luck (or at least more tame).

Yeah.  Absolutely.  These guys all have positive traits as well (some more than others), but if we're talking flaws...they've definitely got some of those too.  Like all QB prospects.  Reality is, a bunch of them will most likely bust, or at least massively disappoint.  But if you don't have a QB, you've gotta take a swing.

Archived