The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

16 hours ago, NateDawg said:

The WRs should still be very solid this year. Should continue to build on the depth in the 2020 class. The one thing that loses a step at WR this year is the speed. Not that they’re slow by any means. But Campbell, McLaurin, and Dixon were all either at or near the top of the NFL combine in the 40. I think I’d prefer Victor/Mack continue just rotating at the Y, as neither are really known as gamebreakers but more of bigger, possession guys. 

I think Victor backs up Mack.  More of a 60/40 split or 65/35.  I think Olave plays as much as anyone outside, and Hill is primarily at the H with Gill getting worked in a little bit.  Maybe an 80/20 split at H.

Mack/Victor
Olave/Wilson
Hill/Gill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think there will be initial growing pains in the passing game.  Not because it's not good but because we were spoiled by the best passing QB in OSU history last year.  I'm expecting Fields to be a good playmaker and great with his legs.  I'm also expecting him to be decent through the air but won't be nearly on the level of Haskins.  At least not initially.  He's entering year two in the fall and is still very young and brand new to the OSU system.  Lots of weapons to work with, and the ground game should be much improved.  If for no other reason, because we're not trying to force the zone read running attack onto an immobile QB this season and have two guys to account for.  Offense should be very good.  I'm more interested to see the defense though.  It was so bad last year, way worse than I've seen at OSU in a long time.  I'm interested to see how the LB and DB play improves.  No concerns with the front four whatsoever. 

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:16 AM, NateDawg said:

I think there will be initial growing pains in the passing game.  Not because it's not good but because we were spoiled by the best passing QB in OSU history last year.  I'm expecting Fields to be a good playmaker and great with his legs.  I'm also expecting him to be decent through the air but won't be nearly on the level of Haskins.  At least not initially.  He's entering year two in the fall and is still very young and brand new to the OSU system.  Lots of weapons to work with, and the ground game should be much improved.  If for no other reason, because we're not trying to force the zone read running attack onto an immobile QB this season and have two guys to account for.  Offense should be very good.  I'm more interested to see the defense though.  It was so bad last year, way worse than I've seen at OSU in a long time.  I'm interested to see how the LB and DB play improves.  No concerns with the front four whatsoever. 

Yeah, I think Day and Wilson will work tirelessly with him between now and August. Also from my perspective, it looked more like nerves more than anything, plus his legs will help with the passing game, the reason I say so is it will be similar to how it was with JT and Braxton meaning you need all 11 to defend the whole offense as opposed to using 11 on 10. As long as he continues to progress though out the season I'm good, he'll have a really good OL and a running game to help ease everything. NPF looked really good on the OL BTW

As far as the Defense, this looks like it will be a heavy turnover producing defense. The DL is elite as usual, I think Davon Hamilton and Tyreke Smith will be breakout players, Teradja Mitchell will be starting by mid season, Loved how active our Safetys played,

35 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Baldwin really transferring?

Would you want to sit for another two years? Fields ain’t leaving after a year, no where near good enough of a thrower. After that Miller is going to come in and be the start 

• Like 1

Our QB depth for the year is officially screwed. 

Wish Baldwin stuck it out for the year. We are 1-deep at the position now if he sees it through, as Chugunov isn’t a legitimate option. 

Wish him the best. He’s a good passer. Think he will be good somewhere, likely closer to home. He’s definitely a better QB than Tate. He would probably be our starter a Fields had not come here.

13 hours ago, buno67 said:

Would you want to sit for another two years? Fields ain’t leaving after a year, no where near good enough of a thrower. After that Miller is going to come in and be the start 

Fields also isn't draft eligible until after 2020.

Word I heard is that home sickness played a big part and something Baldwin struggled with this past year.  I bet he ends up somewhere like Texas Tech.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Fields also isn't draft eligible until after 2020.

Word I heard is that home sickness played a big part and something Baldwin struggled with this past year.  I bet he ends up somewhere like Texas Tech.

ah I thought he was a RS frosh for some reason.

OSU/Bama are the unquestioned NFL draft machines these days.  OSU is actually pretty far ahead with players drafted since 2000.  Two-horse race in recent years.  As good as the OSU guys have been (right away) in the NFL recently though, that's been the huge recruiting draw.  Will be interesting to see if that persists under Ryan Day or how things look.  I think a lot of guys are in 'wait and see' mode on this season. 

Would like to see Haskins end up in a good spot.  Giants are crazy seemingly letting him slip by (and favoring Daniel Jones over him?).  The Browns fan in me does not want him in Cincinnati.  My guess is either Washington or Denver.