The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

2015 was a wasted season. Most talented team in the country and almost all returning core guys from the 2014 title team. That year definitely did show committee inconsistencies though. They slipped up against MSU who they were way better than. But they were clearly a top 4 team and everyone knew it. I had no problem with them getting left out, because I think you should have to win your own conference. But since then, you never know what you are going to get from the committee. 2015 still hurts though as it should have been the best team in recent years. The highest paid NFL RB and WR were there at the time along with all the other 1sts like Joey Bosa. It’s too bad JTB was such deadweight though. Too many people didn’t really know how good Mike Thomas was until he hit the League. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Justin struggles reading defenses.

I think by next year he will be the total package. All the physical traits are there.

The OL is controlling the line the best I’ve seen them do in a couple seasons. That’s been huge and the running game is great right now. Defense has been outstanding minus Borland blowing it on the backwards pass trick play. 

Tougher games lie ahead on the schedule but this team is playing together as well as one could hope for at this stage. 

This team is very clearly playing as well as anyone so far this year.  Teams ranked at the top included.  Some coaching staff changes were clearly needed, especially on defense.  Would like to see Browning take over full time for Borland though.  He's clearly the better player with a far higher ceiling. 

Looking forward to seeing this team against a more talented team.  Not sure that will be next week vs. Nebraska. 

It's fun watching some of the young talent out there though.  Not just Garrett Wilson, but Jameson Williams.  That kid is going to make a real mark here.  I haven't seen a receiver with speed and explosion like that since Ted Ginn Jr.  Make those two dudes your return guys ASAP. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, JTagg7754 said:

We're not playing quality opponents just yet but we're doing what we're supposed to be doing against them. Fields struggled with his accuracy on some throws and our guys dropped some easy ones but another solid game in the trenches. Great win! 

This reminds me of Urbz first season, when they tried to boat race every team that year to make a statement. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:57 PM, candyman93 said:

It’s amazing how much better the tackling is on the defense.

I think the scheme is just better and it allows the players to just read and react quicker and play faster. 

Zach Smith said in his pod cast when Ash came in, he simplified the defense with fick. Allowed the players to just play. When Schiano took over, he tried to play his NFL defense and it was overly complicated for the defense. A lot of guys were over thinking and playing slow. 

Now he said they are back to a simplistic scheme that should allow them to play faster. Which on the field, it clearly looks like that. 

We are dominating up front.  I'm interested to see how we look against Wisconsin especially.  We're a far more athletic team across the board, but they're physical up front and are killing teams at the LOS.  We're doing great so far, but we have to match that in a game like that to keep things rolling.  Health on the DL is important right now.  Landers, Tyreke Smith, and Cooper all missed today.  Those guys may all be back next week, but we'll see.  We still haven't seen our full group of DL yet this season.  Sounds like Taron Vincent could be out for an extended time also. 

Fun team to watch.  We really fell into some luck.  Not often can you lose a legend at HC and replace them with a guy as capable as Ryan Day.  Same thing with the QB position.  We really fell into some luck there this off-season also. 

• Like 1