The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Why in the world would Day leave?? That doesn't make any sense. He was highly recruited a couple years ago and stayed. If he goes to the league, it won't be any time soon

Only way I’d see it is if it’s a long time from now, and he’s “been there done that” and for whatever reason ready to move on. Carroll, Saban, lots of great coaches have dipped their toe in the NFL at some point. But yeah, definitely not any time soon if ever. 

• Like 1

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Ryan-Day-on-NFL-rumors-I-love-it-here-this-is-where-I-want-to-be-136690424/

Pretty good article on the rumors and that's all they are. I really want to believe this is where Day wants to be and right now, I have zero reason to believe otherwise. Going to the Skins now would be career suicide. They're not ready and have terrible ownership. He's smart enough to realize that. I hope he really is here for 20 years. I'm beyond sold on the guy. He knows wtf he's doing..... obviously. The recruits are obviously buying in as well and if you read the article, the coaches are also. People seemingly love this dude

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Clemson has star defenders in Simmons who should be a top 15 pick and Xavier Thomas could be a 1st round pick in 2020, and AJ Terrell has 1st round potential as well, Georgia does not and is surprisingly average especially on the DL and LB core.  Clemson has better QB and better receivers I would be much more afraid of them than Georgia honestly but Georgia has a great run game obviously.  Sure Day might not go to the NFL but would not be surprised if he does leave.  And who would they hire as the head coach if not for Johnson or Wilson?  Go outside the program?

Fromm has played like the better QB IMO. Lawrence hasn’t played all that great this year at all. 

I don’t see Day leaving after one season as the HC. I don’t an NFL team goes hard after him after one season, especially when he has only 2 years of NFL coaching experience. I think a smart NFL team would want to see him be successful with two different QBs like Riley did with Baker and Kyler. 

Ohio State doesn’t have a replacement HC on their staff. They def would have to look outside for him one. 

two guys would be Matt Campbell or bring back Fick

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Fromm has played like the better QB IMO. Lawrence hasn’t played all that great this year at all. 

I don’t see Day leaving after one season as the HC. I don’t an NFL team goes hard after him after one season, especially when he has only 2 years of NFL coaching experience. I think a smart NFL team would want to see him be successful with two different QBs like Riley did with Baker and Kyler. 

Ohio State doesn’t have a replacement HC on their staff. They def would have to look outside for him one. 

Fick seems to have finally gotten the handle of being a HC.  It was hard to watch when he was the interim.

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Really?  Zac Taylor the head coach of the Bengals had zero years of head coaching experience and he was hired, same with Matt LaFleur.  Sure both had NFL experience but so has Day but obviously not for as long as those two.  I doubt that experience matters that much, hell Day has more head coaching experience at any level compared to those two combined through their entire coaching career.  If Day had any inkling of a connection to Sean McVay it would be almost a literal fact he will get a job in the NFL just like Taylor and LaFleur.  I think the NFL owners are so desperate to hire the next Sean McVay to improve the teams offense, sell tickets and win quickly, Day's name will come up a ton, especially if they keep playing so well this season.  

Luke Fickell would make a lot of sense, or if Vrabel does not work out on Tennessee.  Matt Campbell I like a ton as well and he would make sense for sure.  

Still over all of college football, hard to find a more hot coaching name than Ryan Day so teams will come calling and for the right price I am sure he would leave to the NFL in a heart beat.  

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I love it because it’s different.

Also, I WANT that extra day to prepare for a tough Wisconsin team.

I like Wisconsin's toughness, but they also need to prepare for OUR toughness and speed.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Who will be Ohio State's head football coach when Ryan Day goes to the NFL most likely the Washington Redskins?  Larry Johnson or Kevin Wilson?  Johnson makes a lot of sense but has never been a head coach but neither had Ryan Day outside of a little bit last year.

Still I would be shocked if Day does not go to the NFL after this season, with how well they have looked this year and since he is a new young offensive coordinator, he is arguably the #1 head coaching candidate in college that might actually make the jump.  Some others in college are better head coaches but most likely will stay, even Lincoln Riley I think could easily just stay at Oklahoma compared to going to the NFL.  Will be very curious what he does after this year.  And with how well they have looked on offense and defense it would be shocking if they did not win the Big Ten title and go unbeaten in the regular season.

They will get a lot more competition coming up in the second half of the schedule but honestly none of them are on par with Ohio State.  Only ones on par with them would be Alabama, Clemson, LSU and Georgia.  Even Georgia not sure they would match up with their lack of defensive super stars.  

This is a non-issue internally, this is media driven. Day isn't going anywhere, and if he does, he'll pass the whistle back to Urban

45 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  Zac Taylor the head coach of the Bengals had zero years of head coaching experience and he was hired, same with Matt LaFleur.  Sure both had NFL experience but so has Day but obviously not for as long as those two.  I doubt that experience matters that much, hell Day has more head coaching experience at any level compared to those two combined through their entire coaching career.  If Day had any inkling of a connection to Sean McVay it would be almost a literal fact he will get a job in the NFL just like Taylor and LaFleur.  I think the NFL owners are so desperate to hire the next Sean McVay to improve the teams offense, sell tickets and win quickly, Day's name will come up a ton, especially if they keep playing so well this season.  

Luke Fickell would make a lot of sense, or if Vrabel does not work out on Tennessee.  Matt Campbell I like a ton as well and he would make sense for sure.  

Still over all of college football, hard to find a more hot coaching name than Ryan Day so teams will come calling and for the right price I am sure he would leave to the NFL in a heart beat.  

Difference with Taylor. He has more NFL coaching experience and was an NFL OC. Same thing with Lafluer. Taylor has been in the NFL as a full time coach since ‘12 and LaFluer ‘09. 

if I was an NFL franchise I sure as hell wouldn’t hire a guy with one year of college HC experience and 2 yrs of NFL experience. That be a recipe for disaster. 

it’s going to take the right franchise to potentially leave tOSU for day. There are a couple College jobs that are better than some NFL jobs and tOSU is one of them. 

5 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

So I assume I'm the minority when I'd say "hell no" to Fickle? I mean, this is all hypothetical b/c I doubt Day goes anywhere any time soon, as I stated, but I just don't think Fickle is a great coach by any means. I'd welcome Campbell though

Why a hell no Fickle? He is doing great at Cincy this year so far and is building off of a great season last year. 

I don’t know why all the hypothetical talk of the next coach here. Day just talked about wanting to be here for 20 years or as long as TOSU would have him. He’s building something here. 

My bigger concern is losing Hafley in a year or two. That guy is the real deal and a personality for running his own program at some point. Assistants like him and Hartline are stars on this staff. The staff turnover was an absolute upgrade of forward momentum. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I get a “older version of 2014 squad” type of vibe from this team.

I love it. It feels like 2014-2015 again where we have to play the 'why is nobody respecting us in the rankings' card each week. A roster loaded with NFL talent and just flying by the seat of their pants each week with a new QB that has little game film to plan against. Get them to the playoffs hopefully and we will see some magic. This Alabama/Clemson teams dont scare me nearly as much as the ones in years past. Im more nervous about LSU/WIS in a matchup than CLM/ALA. Call me crazy.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I love it. It feels like 2014-2015 again where we have to play the 'why is nobody respecting us in the rankings' card each week. A roster loaded with NFL talent and just flying by the seat of their pants each week with a new QB that has little game film to plan against. Get them to the playoffs hopefully and we will see some magic. This Alabama/Clemson teams dont scare me nearly as much as the ones in years past. Im more nervous about LSU/WIS in a matchup than CLM/ALA. Call me crazy.

This is the best Wisconsin team I’ve ever seen. It’s why I’m glad we have the extra day of rest.

• Like 1