The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

10 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Did I see it right that MSU was allowing 2.2 YPC prior to this game??

I know they average allowing 55 rush YPG, best in the country. We put up 323 rushing yards. 

Shaky first few drives but when they got going, pretty much got back to asserting their will. 

Pass blocking didn’t do their best, and Fields still has some issues getting the ball out when it needs to be out. All things considered though, pretty special team. I think right now Wisconsin and maybe PSU are games to look out for. But you have to like their chances against anyone on the schedule. I’d like to see Browning full time over Borland at MLB. He has shown impact abilities all year and Borland is severely limited. Beyond that, love what this team and staff are doing. Can’t say enough about what Hafley has done with the DBs, Arnette especially. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I know they average allowing 55 rush YPG, best in the country. We put up 323 rushing yards. 

Shaky first few drives but when they got going, pretty much got back to asserting their will. 

Pass blocking didn’t do their best, and Fields still has some issues getting the ball out when it needs to be out. All things considered though, pretty special team. I think right now Wisconsin and maybe PSU are games to look out for. But you have to like their chances against anyone on the schedule. I’d like to see Browning full time over Borland at MLB. He has shown impact abilities all year and Borland is severely limited. Beyond that, love what this team and staff are doing. Can’t say enough about what Hafley has done with the DBs, Arnette especially. 

Yeah things definitely didn't start ideally but we forced turnovers and settled down and just laid it to them. Crazy it was only 55 YPG on the ground prior. 

Agreed with Fields holding onto the ball too much. He needs to learn to throw it away and also not to take hits. We don't have much behind him and when he ran into the end zone and got up a little slow, I was concerned. Just glad we get some rest now before we finish up this brutal month on a schedule. 

All in all, this team does look like a force to be reckoned with. We got a taste of a real defense and while it took a second to get going, once we did, we never stopped. Can't help but be optimistic moving forward. 

Also absolutely agree with your last statement. I hated Arnette with a passion last season and was disappointed when he opted to come back. He has been great this season though except he needs to chill on running his damn mouth. The secondary looks excellent this season!

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I know a lot of y'all are Brown's fans but admit it, Bosa just made that first half tolerable with that ending? Lol

Ha, yeah. Well played.

That dude is a machine. He’s possibly as good of a DE as there is in the league already aside from Mack (barring health). We all knew what he was in college. Scary to think Chase Young will likely be as good or better. DEs would be crazy not to be lining up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s weird having an off week and then having a Friday night game. Northwestern should get ugly. Just get to the next week against the Badgers with a win and no key injuries. 

Warning: RANT AHEAD

What MORON from the B1G thought it would be a great idea to play on Friday nights in the Midwest, where HS Football is king??? I imagine a conversation like this:

Coach Fitzgerald: Hi Damien! This is Coach Fitzgerald, Northwestern! Hey, so you're a 3.9 student, look outstanding on film, and have high character. As you know, we've been recruiting you for quite some time, and would LOVE for you to take an official visit to our campus Friday night, under the lights, when we play the Ohio State Buckeyes! The atmosphere will be electric!

Damien: Coach, I have a game that night. Kickoff is at 7:00 PM

Coach Fitzgerald: ....Oh...

• Like 3

Makes zero damn sense to have a game like that on a Friday night. I thought it was a misprint when I first read it. At least we get another day of prep for what be our toughest matchup of the regular season. Wisc is for real. I still think we match up well and are far more athletic but that doesn't mean anything. Having an extra day to rest and being at home does matter though.

Who will be Ohio State's head football coach when Ryan Day goes to the NFL most likely the Washington Redskins?  Larry Johnson or Kevin Wilson?  Johnson makes a lot of sense but has never been a head coach but neither had Ryan Day outside of a little bit last year.

Still I would be shocked if Day does not go to the NFL after this season, with how well they have looked this year and since he is a new young offensive coordinator, he is arguably the #1 head coaching candidate in college that might actually make the jump.  Some others in college are better head coaches but most likely will stay, even Lincoln Riley I think could easily just stay at Oklahoma compared to going to the NFL.  Will be very curious what he does after this year.  And with how well they have looked on offense and defense it would be shocking if they did not win the Big Ten title and go unbeaten in the regular season.

They will get a lot more competition coming up in the second half of the schedule but honestly none of them are on par with Ohio State.  Only ones on par with them would be Alabama, Clemson, LSU and Georgia.  Even Georgia not sure they would match up with their lack of defensive super stars.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Who will be Ohio State's head football coach when Ryan Day goes to the NFL most likely the Washington Redskins?  Larry Johnson or Kevin Wilson?  Johnson makes a lot of sense but has never been a head coach but neither had Ryan Day outside of a little bit last year.

Still I would be shocked if Day does not go to the NFL after this season, with how well they have looked this year and since he is a new young offensive coordinator, he is arguably the #1 head coaching candidate in college that might actually make the jump.  Some others in college are better head coaches but most likely will stay, even Lincoln Riley I think could easily just stay at Oklahoma compared to going to the NFL.  Will be very curious what he does after this year.  And with how well they have looked on offense and defense it would be shocking if they did not win the Big Ten title and go unbeaten in the regular season.

They will get a lot more competition coming up in the second half of the schedule but honestly none of them are on par with Ohio State.  Only ones on par with them would be Alabama, Clemson, LSU and Georgia.  Even Georgia not sure they would match up with their lack of defensive super stars.  

Day aint going to Washington. HC for Ohio State is a better job than the HC of Washington

If it does happen, it sure as hell wont be Johnson or Wilson,

Georgia matchs up better than Clemson. Clemson isnt good. They are overrated. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Day aint going to Washington. HC for Ohio State is a better job than the HC of Washington

If it does happen, it sure as hell wont be Johnson or Wilson,

Georgia matchs up better than Clemson. Clemson isnt good. They are overrated. 

Clemson has star defenders in Simmons who should be a top 15 pick and Xavier Thomas could be a 1st round pick in 2020, and AJ Terrell has 1st round potential as well, Georgia does not and is surprisingly average especially on the DL and LB core.  Clemson has better QB and better receivers I would be much more afraid of them than Georgia honestly but Georgia has a great run game obviously.  Sure Day might not go to the NFL but would not be surprised if he does leave.  And who would they hire as the head coach if not for Johnson or Wilson?  Go outside the program?

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Clemson has star defenders in Simmons who should be a top 15 pick and Xavier Thomas could be a 1st round pick in 2020, and AJ Terrell has 1st round potential as well, Georgia does not and is surprisingly average especially on the DL and LB core.  Clemson has better QB and better receivers I would be much more afraid of them than Georgia honestly but Georgia has a great run game obviously.  Sure Day might not go to the NFL but would not be surprised if he does leave.  And who would they hire as the head coach if not for Johnson or Wilson?  Go outside the program?

Probably Matt Campbell. 

As stated though, he’s making a home here. I’d be pretty surprised if he were to bolt, at least anytime soon.