The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I saw the same article. I don’t think it’s a great move from a team perspective. With Burrow likely transferring and incoming freshman Baldwin hurt, you have Haskins and Martell on the roster at QB. If Martell doesn’t win the job, he’s first off the bench to be starting QB. He could also have built-in packages. I’d prefer not to have our only other QB working at another position. Truth be told, I don’t see him getting meaningful playing time looking at the depth chart, of any other positions. He’s very small. That was essentially the reason, in Urbz offense, that C.J. Saunders didn’t get meaningful PT.

You expect a walk on who was a DB last year to get PT at WR? Safe bet to say Martel is a lot better athlete than Saunders 

46 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You expect a walk on who was a DB last year to get PT at WR? Safe bet to say Martel is a lot better athlete than Saunders 

Saunders got PT and caught a couple TDs. He was good when he was in there. Meyer commented that he wouldn’t be in the rotation, because he needed to get bigger with the need for OSU WRs to block. Martell is tiny, has no WR experience, and isn’t a straight line blazer. I would be shocked to see him come anywhere near a 2-deep at WR. Stay at QB.

22 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Saunders got PT and caught a couple TDs. He was good when he was in there. Meyer commented that he wouldn’t be in the rotation, because he needed to get bigger with the need for OSU WRs to block. Martell is tiny, has no WR experience, and isn’t a straight line blazer. I would be shocked to see him come anywhere near a 2-deep at WR. Stay at QB.

Looked at the wrong stats. He had one TD. 

I would still give Martell a shot if he wants to if he doesn’t win the QB. Dude is a damn good athlete. He was making some of the best defenders miss in HS and ran away from them too. With the WRs they have he wouldn’t sniff, if those WRs develop hopefully. But if he think he has a chance to crack some PT, give it a shot. 

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Kept saying Thad Matta held the team back. It’s plain as day when you watch our current team.

This is the least talented team we’ve had in years and yet they are SIGNIFICANTLY better as a team.

It’s the same thing Thad did his first. It’s fresh and new so the guys are buying in. The real tell is if he could keep things going. Thad had amazing run but just couldn keep up with the dirty recruiting

CFB is all about the recruiting. Harbs has put together some good classes and had some talent, but it hasn’t all come together, and he hasn’t figured out QB. Their recruiting class has been mediocre this year as well. I’m surprised to see that PSU seems to have arisen as the main Midwest recruiting competitor ahead of UM. I think that if UM is able to have a big year soon, finish the year with momentum, and beat their rivals, things could really change for them. Right now though, it’s probably a tough sell. No complaints here.

41 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

CFB is all about the recruiting. Harbs has put together some good classes and had some talent, but it hasn’t all come together, and he hasn’t figured out QB. Their recruiting class has been mediocre this year as well. I’m surprised to see that PSU seems to have arisen as the main Midwest recruiting competitor ahead of UM. I think that if UM is able to have a big year soon, finish the year with momentum, and beat their rivals, things could really change for them. Right now though, it’s probably a tough sell. No complaints here.

I hope Patterson can't play next year to continue their woes lol. I do get it though, their D has stepped up since he came but the offense has been abysmal at the QB position. If McCaffrey is anything though, we'll find out if Shae can't play

On 1/4/2018 at 4:32 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

I never understood how co coordinators work? Do they take turn calling plays? Or is one over the other?

One does the gameplan for the week, the other calls the plays. Also one can groom another as a successor which probably is the case here.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

On 1/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

One does the gameplan for the week, the other calls the plays. Also one can groom another as a successor which probably is the case here.

I dont know if its that. It be a bad idea to have one guys come up with the plan and the other calls the play. They prolly just work together coming up with schemes and one focusing on the front half of the defense and the other focusing on the back half. When it was Fick and Ash. Ash handled all the coverages and fick handled the fronts and blitzes. I think this could be a good marriage of Schiano and Grinch because Schiano can focus on the front half and Grinch working with the back half. Prolly talk about what coverages they want to use for certain plays and scheme up ideas they want to do in certain situations. Also like that title because it just means more money

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/01/90004/tate-martells-development-in-2017-sets-him-up-to-challenge-for-starting-quarterback-job-in-2018

very interesting read.

"We talked about it," Ohio State offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said at his media availability prior to the Cotton Bowl, when asked if the Buckeyes considered pulling Martell’s redshirt this season. "We had the situation with J.T.’s injury at the very, very end, where we were playing the rival game. And I think he would have wanted to play the one game if we needed him. And we’re like wait a minute now, that’s a whole year, because he would lose a year of eligibility if he plays in that game."

Ohio state coaches actually thought about going to Tate in the game. Sure is going to make for an exciting spring.