The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

20 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The men’s basketball team plays really good basketball. They remind me of Villanova and how they play. Ball handling and passing is required from all 5 players. I feel like he will heavily recruit shooters too.

If we could play at this level for the rest of the season there is no reason why we cannot make it deep in the tourney. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

Jerome Baker declared for the draft. Probably a round 3 type of guy. Great athletic ability but doesn’t play great within a system/assignments, gets lost at time in coverage, and isn’t very stout. Not really a loss based off of most of his 2017. LB was the weakest position group on defense this year.  Should see three new full time starting LBs next year. Borland started the last several games and should retain the job as the MLB, returning as a RS sophomore. Booker lost the starting SLB job and probably won’t retain it. Will be interested to see if he comes back to battle for a 5th year, tries his luck as a likely UDFA, or grad transfers to start a year somewhere and perhaps get drafted. Harrison, Browning, and Keandre Jones will probably battle for the two open LB spots. 

As eluded to, Weber is coming back in 2018. Nice 1-2 punch at RB with Dobbins. Couple good freshman coming in next year also. I’d be surprised if Antonio Williams comes back. 

Injuries are always a bear.

I think Malik Harrison ends up at DE next year as part of the rotation.

Rough guess defensive depth chart next year:

LDE: Nick Bosa, Malik Harrison, Tyreke Smith
UDT: Dre'Mont Jones, Taron Vincent, Jashon Cornell
NDT: Robert Landers, Haskill Garrett, Tommy Togiai
RDE: Chase Young, Jonathan Cooper, Darius Slade
WLB: Keandre Jones, Dallas Gant, K'Vaughn Pope
MLB: Tuf Borland, Teradja Mitchell
SLB: Baron Browning, Pete Werner
LCB: Jeffrey Okudah, Damon Arnette, Tyreke Johnson, Sevyn Banks
FS: Jordan Fuller, Amir Riep, Marcus Hooker
SS: Isaiah Pryor, Brendon White, Josh Proctor
RCB: Kendall Sheffield, Shaun Wade, Marcus Williamson

I think Dre'Mont comes back, but if he doesn't, then Landers moves over and Garrett slides into a more prominent role.  If Davon Hamilton can get healthy then he might have a shot too at playing in the middle.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

The Bucknuts Morning 5 guys said Josh Myers was getting looks at center leading up to the Cotton Bowl.  Possible dark horse for that spot next year.  Kid is very smart and crazy strong.  Possible offensive depth chart, because why the hell not?

QB: Dwayne Haskins, Tate Martell, Matthew Baldwin (I think Burrow transfers, could still see The Hammer win the job too)
RB: JK Dobbins, Mike Webber, Brian Snead, Master Teague (I think Williams transfers, that's crazy good depth, I think Snead will be a stud after JK)
WR: Austin Mack, Binjimin Victor, Jaylyn Harris
WR: KJ Hill, Kamryn Babb, Elijah Gardener
HB: Demario McCall, Jaelen Gill
TE: Rashod Berry, Jeremy Ruckert, Luke Farrell, Jake Hausmann (this one is still pretty up in the air)
LT: Isaiah Prince, Josh Alabi
LG: Michael Jordan, Matt Burrell, Max Wray
C: Josh Myers, Brady Taylor, Matthew Jones
RG: Demetrius Knox, Wyatt Davis
RT: Brandon Bowen, Malcolm Pridgeon, Thayer Munford

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Well guys, we are still #5 in the nation. Clemson got blown out and somehow they are a better team than us. We could have easily won the nat champ last night. So glad ESPN owns the SEC... or is it the other way around?

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Didn’t bother to watch. Looked like a good game. To me, seemed more like an SEC Title game then national championship game. The system construct is incredibly flawed. 

On to 2018. Here’s hoping that system gets fixed, conference network favoritism doesn’t become a trend. ESPN owns the rights to the SEC Network. Naturally, they will be feeding pro SEC propaganda and pushing an agenda. It’s a really bad setup.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I think Dre'Mont comes back, but if he doesn't, then Landers moves over and Garrett slides into a more prominent role.  If Davon Hamilton can get healthy then he might have a shot too at playing in the middle.

man the way Tommy Togiai looked at the Army all star, I think he could maybe see some time next year.

9 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Well guys, we are still #5 in the nation. Clemson got blown out and somehow they are a better team than us. We could have easily won the nat champ last night. So glad ESPN owns the SEC... or is it the other way around?

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I dont know if they could of easily won. It would of all depended on what JTB showed up.

I am excited for the spring tho. Cant wait to see the tate/Hask QB battle

• Like 1

I think you are giving the freshmen way too much credit. The Dobbins and the Bosas and Jordans don't happen that often. Okudah and Chase Young were rightfully ranked incredibly high in HS and only got significant playing time (and very limited at that) because they played positions that rotate heavily. Jonathan Cooper was ranked incredibly high and did great in his all star game and hasn't played that much in two seasons. I'm not saying that we won't have freshman playing, because we will. But I guarantee we won't have 10 defensive freshmen ever appear on the depth chart next year.  With that being said, you don't think Antwuan Jackson won't be getting any time, or just an oversight? Also, while they have been disappointments, I don't think Justin Hilliard and Dante Booker are done. I've heard rumors that Booker could slide down to DE, and I could definitely see that (moreso than Harrison).

The Bucknuts Morning 5 guys said Josh Myers was getting looks at center leading up to the Cotton Bowl.  Possible dark horse for that spot next year.  Kid is very smart and crazy strong.  Possible offensive depth chart, because why the hell not?

QB: Dwayne Haskins, Tate Martell, Matthew Baldwin (I think Burrow transfers, could still see The Hammer win the job too)
RB: JK Dobbins, Mike Webber, Brian Snead, Master Teague (I think Williams transfers, that's crazy good depth, I think Snead will be a stud after JK)
WR: Austin Mack, Binjimin Victor, Jaylyn Harris
WR: KJ Hill, Kamryn Babb, Elijah Gardener
HB: Demario McCall, Jaelen Gill
TE: Rashod Berry, Jeremy Ruckert, Luke Farrell, Jake Hausmann (this one is still pretty up in the air)
LT: Isaiah Prince, Josh Alabi
LG: Michael Jordan, Matt Burrell, Max Wray
C: Josh Myers, Brady Taylor, Matthew Jones
RG: Demetrius Knox, Wyatt Davis
RT: Brandon Bowen, Malcolm Pridgeon, Thayer Munford

Are you assuming McLaurin, Campbell, and Dixon all go pro or transfer?

I also think Snead will be really good, and is getting overshadowed by the Teague talk (because of his name and how grossly under ranked he was). I really like your OL. The only alternative I can possibly see at LT is if Prince stays and Jordan moves out (then bowen at LG?). I'd love to see Myers start, but I really think it will be Taylor. 

11 hours ago, Adam21 said:

I think you are giving the freshmen way too much credit. The Dobbins and the Bosas and Jordans don't happen that often. Okudah and Chase Young were rightfully ranked incredibly high in HS and only got significant playing time (and very limited at that) because they played positions that rotate heavily. Jonathan Cooper was ranked incredibly high and did great in his all star game and hasn't played that much in two seasons. I'm not saying that we won't have freshman playing, because we will. But I guarantee we won't have 10 defensive freshmen ever appear on the depth chart next year.  With that being said, you don't think Antwuan Jackson won't be getting any time, or just an oversight? Also, while they have been disappointments, I don't think Justin Hilliard and Dante Booker are done. I've heard rumors that Booker could slide down to DE, and I could definitely see that (moreso than Harrison).

Complete brain fart on Antwuan Jackson.  Amongst the freshman, I pretty much expect Baldwin, Blue Smith, Wray, Jones, Teague, Togiai, Pope, Hooker, Proctor, Banks, Brown, and Williams  to get redshirted.  I think Snead gets a little bit of run as RB3, Ruckert will be part of the passing game, and Gill might be our return man next year as well as get a little PT behind McCall.  Tyreke Johnson, Mitchell, and Gant all play a part on special teams with limited defensive reps, Vincent will be in the DL rotation much like Chase Young was this year as will Tyreke Smith.  Babb I'm not sure on.  A lot of our non RS-JR WR's which I don't know what they are doing likely knock him to a redshirt if they stay.  They are similar type WR to Babb (along with KJ Hill) and depth on that is still up in the air.