The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

17 hours ago, buno67 said:

It wouldn’t of been for just a game. It was that game and potentially the CCG and playoffs. They had no idea what the issue was with JTBs knee. Haskins might be the better short term QB but they could of views Martell as the better long term QB to play the next 3 games or so. 

It’s like in ‘14. Why give the job to JTB when Jones has been the back up for a season and was set to be the back up until Miller hurt his shoulder. Thought JTB was the better long term QB. Could of been the same thought process. 

What are you talking about here? Jones had never been QB#2 at any point in his OSU career. Barrett beat him out that spring for the #2 job. Not being a smart***, just wanting to know what point you were trying to make.

And I still disagree on Martell. Yeah, let's burn a true freshmen's redshirt as he's a better option for the upcoming brutal stretch of a top 4 Wisconsin team, and then maybe two games against Clemson / Georgia / Oklahoma when Haskins had played well all season in spot duty. They were never going to put him in that game. Maybe they wish they could have had the opportunity without suffering the consequences, but unless Haskins or Burrow each get hurt in that game he wasn't going in. It was typical Meyer coachspeak, and I think throwing Martell a bit of a bone.  

Edited by BRANDON26841X

12 hours ago, buno67 said:

I don’t know about Jones leading us to an undefeated season. He didn’t look all that great at all. If he played great or played like he did in that playoff run, JTB doesn’t see the field.

We'll agree to disagree here. The whole "let's keep the starter a secret up until the moment that we take the field after the opening kickoff" and "open competition" idea was STUPID. After CJ's 3 game run in 2014 in which he throttled the opposition, including an awesome Alabama defense, should have cemented him as the starter and the depth chart should have reflected it. The way Urban handled that situation was BAD.

Jones was pretty awful when the offense was inside the 30. 

Also, calling inverted veers and speed options from our offensive staff with CJ was STUPID. Commit to running the ball with Zeke, doing a lot less read option plays, and throwing vertically the way that Herman did down the stretch was a no brainer. Utilize Zeke Elliott and Michael Thomas, not to mention Braxton and Curtis Samuel.

Still all week scUM prepared for an option read attack. Haskin comes in and that defense wasn’t prepared for him or the offensive style.

So? He made BIG THROWS on 3rd down and we committed to the running game on 1st and 2nd down in pure handoff type play-calling...sounds a lot like 2014 with CJ if you ask me.

Also tOSU was the more superior team. Think the results would of been the same no matter who the QB was. 

Considering they were down by 7 with JT at the helm and held to NEGATIVE YARDAGE in the 1st quarter with JT would suggest the possibility and probability otherwise.

He might be the best pure passer, Still have no idea how great of a QB he might be. Those same loses could of easily happened. 

They could have, but the converse could still be true, especially the Iowa game. I'd also wager that he couldn't have done much worse, if worse at all, against Oklahoma and USC. The Penn State game was literally the only game in his 4 year career on the big stage, perhaps also MSU as a freshman, where you could argue JT looked great against a great team.

Should show you what the coaches think of the backs up. They know their players a lot better and trust their evaluations.

Yeah, coaches are also wrong all the time.

See: Tom Brady vs. Drew Hinson, Cardale Jones vs. JT Barrett

Easy to say Haskin > JTB from seeing the games but they see the guys in the classroom practice field and locker room. Grass isn’t always greener on the other side. 

See every point above and every other thought I've had on the situation for the last three years. JTB isn't and never was a NC caliber QB.

Hearing good vibes about Rasheed Walker.  6'6" and 300 lbs as a HS sr, he has that prototypical size. 

Sounds like we aren't the favorites to land Nicholas Petit-Frere, but we're not out of it yet either.  We get the last official visit he is making on 2/2.  As long as he doesn't commit before then and we get him on campus, we have a shot. 

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Hearing good vibes about Rasheed Walker.  6'6" and 300 lbs as a HS sr, he has that prototypical size. 

Sounds like we aren't the favorites to land Nicholas Petit-Frere, but we're not out of it yet either.  We get the last official visit he is making on 2/2.  As long as he doesn't commit before then and we get him on campus, we have a shot. 

Petit-Frere is a top five prospect in this class. If I was ranking guys I'd go Trevor Lawrence / Justin Fields / Micah Parsons / Petit-Frere. That good. Dancing bear on the edge, and we definitely have a shot. Main competition is Notre Dame (OL coach left for NFL), Florida (coaching staff changes, and Michigan (OL coach left for Florida State) and Bama. Greg Schiano's sons went to the same high school as Petit-Frere, so he as a good relationship with the coaches/school as a whole. Getting the last OV is huge, and I think this is a wide open recruitment at this point. The stability of OSU's program really is gonna stand out in comparison with these other places.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, buno67 said:

I don’t know about Jones leading us to an undefeated season. He didn’t look all that great at all. If he played great or played like he did in that playoff run, JTB doesn’t see the field. Jones was pretty awful when the offense was inside the 30

He'll be a base end then kick inside in the rushmen package

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, THE DUKE said:

I think Jones is going to see more reps out at DE with the lack of depth there and the abundance of depth at DT.

Playoff run = Tom Herman, Jones pretty awful = Ed Warinner. Come on.....

You guys hear that Schiano is considering leaving OSU for a job with the Patriots? Florida has been picking up steam with NPF, and his mother wants him to stay in the South, but Urbz with the last visit still makes OSU the team to beat imo. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You guys hear that Schiano is considering leaving OSU for a job with the Patriots? Florida has been picking up steam with NPF, and his mother wants him to stay in the South, but Urbz with the last visit still makes OSU the team to beat imo. 

I haven’t heard anything about that but that would be a nice gig. Be the DC and maybe take over as the HC. 

tOSU did lose Coombs today. He is joining the titans staff 

36 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I haven’t heard anything about that but that would be a nice gig. Be the DC and maybe take over as the HC. 

tOSU did lose Coombs today. He is joining the titans staff 

Vrabel has tried to make that a Buckeye legacy staff. Man. Coombs now and tried to get Warriner and Day. Coombs could actually be a decent loss. He’s got a great track record turning DBs into 1st rounders, making us the current clear DBU. 

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Vrabel has tried to make that a Buckeye legacy staff. Man. Coombs now and tried to get Warriner and Day. Coombs could actually be a decent loss. He’s got a great track record turning DBs into 1st rounders, making us the current clear DBU. 

tOSU has been and will always will pump out DBs lol

the one thing I like about this is potentially seeing an improved special team units. They haven’t been bad, made plays when needed but you think with the talent on their depth chart that the Special teams would be a lot better.