The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

Yeah, OSU B-ball is a tier-two location. Much like Florida. You likely don’t leave OSU for UF and visa versa. Similar level of programs; there would have to be a personal connection. If Holtmann were to leave, as mentioned, it’d have to be for a cream of the crop place, and there is only a very select group that falls into that category ahead of the second tier of programs. I’m not super worried about that happening. After this year, the 18-19 team will probably take a step back, with some roster losses that are anticipated. The way he’s attracting players right now though, I think the successful rebuild of the roster will take effect. 

9 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

How long until someone takes him from us though? There's no way Holtmann is going unnoticed w/ what he's doing here.

If you can keep the in-state talent, you should be a top tier program. No top teams were able to poach Matta early on in his tOSU career when his recruiting and coaching were clicking on all cylinders. 

If would be a huge win if Holtmann can get Gaffeny for the 2019 class. If he can build a wall around the top talent in Ohio, he can build a championship caliber team

29 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah, OSU B-ball is a tier-two location. Much like Florida. You likely don’t leave OSU for UF and visa versa. Similar level of programs; there would have to be a personal connection. If Holtmann were to leave, as mentioned, it’d have to be for a cream of the crop place, and there is only a very select group that falls into that category ahead of the second tier of programs. I’m not super worried about that happening. After this year, the 18-19 team will probably take a step back, with some roster losses that are anticipated. The way he’s attracting players right now though, I think the successful rebuild of the roster will take effect. 

he was such an unknown higher, remember everyone wanted Miller. Players were unsure about him and his ability. He has proved a lot of people and recruits wrong. I think his first true class will be solid and the one after that will be great.

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

Looking at that depth chart 

We should be favorites to win the National Championship next year

that team is so loaded even if we went down to our 3rd QB again 

Think it’s hard to bet against Bama just based on Saban’s past precadent and the fact that it would take drastic circumstances for the committee to leave them out of a playoff. I don’t see a more talented team though. If the offense opens it up and QB play is solid, they should be right there.

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Think it’s hard to bet against Bama just based on Saban’s past precadent and the fact that it would take drastic circumstances for the committee to leave them out of a playoff. I don’t see a more talented team though. If the offense opens it up and QB play is solid, they should be right there.

I think I was seeing rumors that they believe tOSU will open up as preseason #1. Doesn’t mean much but it just shows people are impressed with the returning talent. Helps having the best DL in the Nation next year IMO. Returning just about every skill player outside of QB but that new QB should be an upgrade. tOSU is returning a lot of talent. Talent that should get them into the playoffs

16 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Maybe Holtman wants to change all of that? Turn us into a top tier location. I'd be cool with that. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

It was tier 1 for a little bit when Matta was recruiting like a tier 1 school and using tier 1 tactics. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, THE DUKE said:

We have a good shot next year, but we still have back 7 questions on defense.  There are some elite talented answers, but still as of yet unproven.  If Browning and Okudah can become elite players, then the sky is the limit.

Yep, the sky is the limit with these guys, they just have to realize that every team we play  (outside Tulane, Oregon St, and Rutgers) will be giving their "A" effort against us so they cannot slack and have to deal with games we "should have won". Also with our defensive backfield, having our D-Line will be a tremendous luxury, as teams won't have a lot of time to set up, as well as batted passes.