The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

18 hours ago, cortes02 said:

Grant Gunnell is the player I'm praying we get.  His passing skills seem light years ahead of players his age.

Peace!!!

Signing Gunnell and being the supposed leader for Jack Miller in 2020 would also signal we are moving more towards a pocket passing QB that can move than running an offense with a super mobile QB who can also throw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Signing Gunnell and being the supposed leader for Jack Miller in 2020 would also signal we are moving more towards a pocket passing QB that can move than running an offense with a super mobile QB who can also throw.

It would be nice to see Urban adapt his philosophy and go towards better passing QB's that can move as you stated above.  It's good to have a QB that is always a threat to run (Braxton/Pryor/J.T) but I would prefer a QB that is a good/great passer that can get a 1st down if necessary with their legs, not necessarily a "great" runner.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Can't say any of us should be surprised:

https://theozone.net/2018/05/joe-burrow-will-transfer-ohio-state/

I really hope the kid gets his shot somewhere. He simply couldn't have done anything though after the way Haskins played against Michigan last year. That sealed his fate unless Dwayne looked like absolute trash in practice.

He'll get more than a shot, he is a starting caliber QB out there, schools know it. Hate to see someone who loves tOSU so much have to leave but I cannot wait to see Martell get reps (After blowouts), he is going to be exciting.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

It's stupid for him to not go to a place where he KNOWS he'll start. Why go to a high profiled place like LSU or Florida where you know there will be competition? That's stupid..... assuming he wants to have a future playing ball.

Edited by JTagg7754

2 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

It's stupid for him to go to a place where he KNOWS he'll start. Why go to a high profiled place like LSU or Florida where you know there will be competition? That's stupid..... assuming he wants to have a future playing ball.

Cincinnati also just got permission to contact him. I could see Luke Fickel loving him at UC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Early indicators say that Florida and LSU are possibilities for Burrow. I wish him nothing but the best.

I'm not sure who the OC is at LSU now 

I think he'll want to go to a great staff after coming from OSU

to me that takes out LSU

Florida with Mullen now would be a great fit. SEC caliber talent around him and Muller could build a great offense similar to alot of things he did here

Nebraska would be my number 2 if I were him. Frost is going to be a great coach at Nebraska and build that program up and he'd start immediately

Cinci would be my number 3

alot of good options hell I'd give Texas A&M a call too with Jimbo 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

to me that takes out LSU

Florida with Mullen now would be a great fit. SEC caliber talent around him and Muller could build a great offense similar to alot of things he did here

Nebraska would be my number 2 if I were him. Frost is going to be a great coach at Nebraska and build that program up and he'd start immediately

I mean, this is great and all but this is also assuming he wins the job which we can't be sure of. Cinci makes the most sense b/c I don't see anyone there beating him out and he's closer to home.

19 hours ago, brownie man said:

to me that takes out LSU

- Not sure where the LSU stuff comes from

- 9.5 times out of 10 Mullen called Urban (who are good friends) about Burrow, that would be kinda sweet having him and Grimes link back up.

- Not really sure the connection between Nebraska, but his father is a coach so there could be a relationship there.

- Cincinnati with Fickell would be a good fit

- His dad literally coaches for Ohio U, and he is from Athens,OH

- I personally think the best thing he could do for his chances is be a big fish in a small pond, going to OU and being the man putting up gaudy numbers. Going to the SEC,B1G with those defenses, there is no guarantee he is going to be successful.

With the transfer of Wayne Davis the Buckeyes are back down to 85 scholarship players.  Eleven Warriors has a breakdown by Class

2014: 7
2015: 14
2016: 18
2017: 20
2018: 26

Given all the players on the roster, and ignoring the walk ons, here is my best guess on the depth chart based on everything I've heard:

QB: Dwayne Haskins Tate Martell Matthew Baldwin      
RB: JK Dobbins Mike Weber Master Teague Brian Snead    
HB: Parris Cambell Demario McCall Jaelen Gill      
WR: Austin Mack Bin Victor CJ Saunders Jaylin Harris Elijah Gardner Blue Smith
WR: KJ Hill Johnie Dixon Terry McLaurin Kamryn Babb Chris Olave Cameron Brown
TE: Luke Farrell Rashod Berry Jeremy Ruckert Jake Hausmann    
LT: Thayer Munford Josh Alabi Nicholas Petit-Frere      
LG: Michael Jordan Wyatt Davis Gavin Cupp      
C: Brady Taylor Josh Myers Matthew Jones      
RG: Branden Bowen Demetrius Knox        
RT: Isaiah Prince Malcolm Pridgeon Max Wray      

LDE: Nick Bosa Tyreke Smith Jashon Cornell Tyler Friday Alex Williams  
UDT: Dre'Mont Jones Haskill Garrett Taron Vincent Malik Barrow Jeron Cage  
NDT: Robert Landers Antwuan Jackson Tommy Togiai Davon Hamilton    
RDE: Chase Young Jonathan Cooper Javontae Jean-Baptiste      
WLB: Keandre Jones Dante Booker Dallas Gant      
MLB: Baron Browning Justin Hilliard Teradja Mitchell Tuf Boreland (inj)    
SLB: Malik Harrison Pete Werner K'Vaughn Pope      
LCB: Jeffrey Okudah Damon Arnette Marcus Williamson Marcus Hooker    
FS: Jordan Fuller Amir Riep Jahsen Wint      
SS: Isaiah Pryor Brendon White Josh Proctor      
RCB: Kendall Sheffield Shaun Wade Tyreke Johnson Sevyn Banks    

K: Sean Nuernberger Blake Haubeil        
P: Drue Chrisman          
LS: Liam McCullough          

Thoughts:

Given that it's an Achilles injury, i'll believe Borland is ready for the fall when I see it. 

I still think Josh Myers might beat out Brady Taylor, but he hasn't as of yet. 

Given Berry's role last year, I think we see a lot of 2 TE sets, and Ruckert is too talented a receiver to not see the field some. 

With all the transfers we're fairly thin on the oline, which in part explains how hard we're going after OL in the 2019 class. 

The talent stacked on the DLine is incredible. 

I actually feel pretty good about the secondary.  A lot of youth with something to prove still, but a whole lot of talent too. 

RB is stacked. 

QB situation is very good.  Only way Baldwin doesn't redshirt is if there is an injury.  Martell should see the field a decent bit in mop up and maybe some in sub packages running the zone read. 

A lot of proving to do at LB, that will be the crux of the season more than likely.  If 2 guys step up then the defense can be the best in the nation.

I really hope we see Demario McCall and Jaelen Gill as the return guys.  It makes too much sense to not happen.

Looking at who will be gone after 2018, who I think will leave early, and who we have already I think we add at least 3 more OL to this class.  1 QB (Gunnell please), an athlete for H in the McCall/Gill mold, a TE, 2 DE (Zach Harrison please, one year behind Chase Young, then 2 as the starter before the draft), at least 2 pure CB's, at least 1 more LB (I'm counting Chambers as a LB), and a long snapper.  That's 11 guys, which would put the class at 20, which leaves 3-5 spots to go BPA that we can get.

Edited by THE DUKE

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, THE DUKE said:

With the transfer of Wayne Davis the Buckeyes are back down to 85 scholarship players.  Eleven Warriors has a breakdown by Class

2014: 7
2015: 14
2016: 18
2017: 20
2018: 26

Given all the players on the roster, and ignoring the walk ons, here is my best guess on the depth chart based on everything I've heard:

QB: Dwayne Haskins Tate Martell Matthew Baldwin      
RB: JK Dobbins Mike Weber Master Teague Brian Snead    
HB: Parris Cambell Demario McCall Jaelen Gill      
WR: Austin Mack Bin Victor CJ Saunders Jaylin Harris Elijah Gardner Blue Smith
WR: KJ Hill Johnie Dixon Terry McLaurin Kamryn Babb Chris Olave Cameron Brown
TE: Luke Farrell Rashod Berry Jeremy Ruckert Jake Hausmann    
LT: Thayer Munford Nicholas Petit-Frere        
LG: Michael Jordan Wyatt Davis Gavin Cupp      
C: Brady Taylor Josh Myers Matthew Jones      
RG: Branden Bowen Demetrius Knox        
RT: Isaiah Prince Malcolm Pridgeon Max Wray      

LDE: Nick Bosa Tyreke Smith Jashon Cornell Tyler Friday Alex Williams  
UDT: Dre'Mont Jones Haskill Garrett Taron Vincent Malik Barrow Jeron Cage  
NDT: Robert Landers Antwuan Jackson Tommy Togiai Josh Alabi Davon Hamilton  
RDE: Chase Young Jonathan Cooper Javontae Jean-Baptiste      
WLB: Keandre Jones Dante Booker Dallas Gant      
MLB: Baron Browning Justin Hilliard Teradja Mitchell Tuf Boreland (inj)    
SLB: Malik Harrison Pete Werner K'Vaughn Pope      
LCB: Jeffrey Okudah Damon Arnette Marcus Williamson Marcus Hooker    
FS: Jordan Fuller Amir Riep Jahsen Wint      
SS: Isaiah Pryor Brendon White Josh Proctor      
RCB: Kendall Sheffield Shaun Wade Tyreke Johnson Sevyn Banks    

K: Sean Nuernberger Blake Haubeil        
P: Drue Chrisman          
LS: Liam McCullough          

Thoughts:

Given that it's an Achilles injury, i'll believe Borland is ready for the fall when I see it. 

I still think Josh Myers might beat out Brady Taylor, but he hasn't as of yet. 

Given Berry's role last year, I think we see a lot of 2 TE sets, and Ruckert is too talented a receiver to not see the field some. 

With all the transfers we're fairly thin on the oline, which in part explains how hard we're going after OL in the 2019 class. 

The talent stacked on the DLine is incredible. 

I actually feel pretty good about the secondary.  A lot of youth with something to prove still, but a whole lot of talent too. 

RB is stacked. 

QB situation is very good.  Only way Baldwin doesn't redshirt is if there is an injury.  Martell should see the field a decent bit in mop up and maybe some in sub packages running the zone read. 

A lot of proving to do at LB, that will be the crux of the season more than likely.  If 2 guys step up then the defense can be the best in the nation.

I really hope we see Demario McCall and Jaelen Gill as the return guys.  It makes too much sense to not happen.

Looking at who will be gone after 2018, who I think will leave early, and who we have already I think we add at least 3 more OL to this class.  1 QB (Gunnell please), an athlete for H in the McCall/Gill mold, a TE, 2 DE (Zach Harrison please, one year behind Chase Young, then 2 as the starter before the draft), at least 2 pure CB's, at least 1 more LB (I'm counting Chambers as a LB), and a long snapper.  That's 11 guys, which would put the class at 20, which leaves 3-5 spots to go BPA that we can get.

Alabi back on the DL?