The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Man, think about where we would be if Urban really ran Cardale away like he was close to doing?

Just be the biggest What if, because of the JTB injury. If Jones was ran away, '15 season maybe plays out a lot better because there isnt a stupid QB battle going on with guys being pulled and playing too tight.

12 hours ago, zelbell said:

Lots of buzz with us regarding Tyler Friday

as well as 4* OLB Javontae Jean-Vaptiste......he's a candidate to slide down to DE

Jean Baptiste is 6'5" tall, that's getting up there to stick at OLB.  Only listed at 215 right now, but he can likely pack on 25-30 good lbs in that first year under Mickey Marotti with that kind of frame, so I think WDE is where he ends up.

Tyler Friday is taking an official visit Jan 19, his last official before he announces on signing day I believe.  Being the last one could give us a leg up.

24 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Yeah, Baptiste will need to add some weight for sure if he's going to slide to DE and I hope he does.

By August 2019, i'll be surprised if he isn't 250+, if not 260.  He's similar to Sam Hubbard in high school body type, except JJP has a bigger frame.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

By August 2019, i'll be surprised if he isn't 250+, if not 260.  He's similar to Sam Hubbard in high school body type, except JJP has a bigger frame.

Yep, was thinking the same. Assuming he comes here, he will absolutely be redshirted and will have his time to gain that weight and refine his technique. In a class where we are thin at DE, I just hope it works out (assuming).

Seems like both JJP and Friday are all but in the class. I think Rasheed Walker is pretty likely to be in the class if the OV and in-home go well. From there we probably have one spot to play with a few guys on the board. 

5* OT Nicholas Petit-Frere (Berkeley Prep HS in Florida) -- He's taking an OV on February 2nd, just before signing day. Schiano worked at Berkeley Prep, has a great relationship with the school. ND OL coach Harry Hiestand leaving is a big boost to us in this recruitment. Quiet confidence here -- probably gonna be an OSU/Bama/ND/Mich fight. UF maybe is in it. Think OSU has a real shot. 

4* ILB Solomon Tuiaupupu (Mater Dei HS in Cali) -- Should be taking an OV, we were his leader in the Summer but I think he probably stays home at USC and both OU and ND might be running ahead of us here

4* OT William Barnes (Apoka HS in Florida) -- We should get an OV but UNC/Auburn are running way ahead. Unlikely. 

4* EDGE Chris Oats (Winton Woods HS in Cincinnati, OH) -- Don't think he has the grades/test scores to be a take, my guess is either JUCO/Kentucky or Ole Miss. Do think OSU likes him enough to view him as a take right now though on the field. 

3* WR Antoine Green (Rocklidge HS in Florida) -- Former FSU commit, will be taking an OV in January. UNC/Ole Miss/Tennessee are also getting OV's. Honestly would pass but with Grimes transferring, and possibly one WR leaving early (KJ Hill? Terry McLaurin) maybe he's a late take. 

3* WR Chris Olave (Mission Hills HS in Cali) -- UCLA and Michigan probably lead. Took his OV before early signing period. Don't think he's a take. 

Also, 2015 recruiting class has really hurt us. Kevin Feder transferred today, so looking back at the class so far, it's been rough. 

Booms
Jerome Baker (#61 prospect / ATH)
Mike Weber (#75 prospect / RB)
Isaiah Prince (#101 prospect / OT)
Dre'Mont Jones (#133 prospect / SDE)
KJ Hill (#153 prospect / WR)
Denzel Ward (#270 prospect / CB)
BB Landers (#481 prospect / DT)

Role Players with some potential
Jashon Cornell (#95 prospect / DE)
Branden Bowen (#543 prospect / OT)
Damon Arnette (#653 prospect / CB)
Rashod Berry (#728 prospect / WDE)
Da'Von Hamilton (#998 prospect / DT)

Jury Still Out, but looking bad
Justin Hilliard (#34 prospect / OLB)
Matt Burrell (#110 prospect / OG)
Joe Burrow (#270 prospect / QB)
Joshua Alabi (#555 prospect / SDE)

Transfer/Injury/Gone From Program
Torrance Gibson (#82 prospect / ATH)
Eric Glover Williams (#99 prospect / CB)
Nick Conner (#223 prospect / ILB)
Alex Stump (#304 prospect / WR)
Jamel Dean (#325 prospect / CB)
Grant Schmidt (#469 prospect / OT)
Kevin Feder (#507 prospect / OT) 
Joshua Norwood (#508 prospect / CB)
AJ Alexander (#514 prospect / TE)

Yikes. That is a ROUGH class. Burrow/Burrell/Alabi I have no faith in ever really contributing here either. 

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Basketball team passes the ball so incredibly well. Holtmann will win a title when he gets all of the guys he wants.

Really wish we’d keep those Ohio kids in-state. The passed few Matta years has caused elite Ohio talents to go elsewhere. The 2019 class has like 3 top 50s from the state, including a top 20 kid. UNC poached one already and is the leader with another. Can’t blame the kids I guess, but the Matta end years led to slow starts with some really close and elite talents. I think that will change a year or so into the Holtmann years now.

Johnnie Dixon announced he’s returning. No surprise since he would have been maybe a late round choice.

Seems we will only lose Ward, Hubbard, and Baker early. Have to be happy keeping Dre’mont and some other guys around. 

• Like 1

Will our 2 starters be Dre and BB Landers?  Or do they go with a more traditional big guy opposite Dre?  Seems like Landers hasn't got as much PT as he deserves over the past couple years to me.

So with Dixon back will he and Mack be the starters with KJ Hill first option inside as WR3 with Cambell at the H?   Then a second unit of Victor, one of Gardner/Harris, McLaurin inside, and McCall as the H?  Then maybe throw in Babb and Gill in a bit as well and see how they perform? 

Edited by THE DUKE

On 1/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, THE DUKE said:

Will our 2 starters be Dre and BB Landers?  Or do they go with a more traditional big guy opposite Dre?  Seems like Landers hasn't got as much PT as he deserves over the past couple years to me.

So with Dixon back will he and Mack be the starters with KJ Hill first option inside as WR3 with Cambell at the H?   Then a second unit of Victor, one of Gardner/Harris, McLaurin inside, and McCall as the H?  Then maybe throw in Babb and Gill in a bit as well and see how they perform? 

To me, it was clear that Landers was DT#3 (Jones had 441 snaps, Sprinkle 320, Landers 271) so I was assume that he's the starting nose next season. I think it's going to be a heavy rotation inside though with Landers, Jones, Cornell, Garrett, Hamilton, and possibly Jackson as well. I think Jones is going to see more reps out at DE with the lack of depth there and the abundance of depth at DT.

To me, the WR rotation isn't going to change at all; the only difference is will a healthy McCall be able to see the field? It's still going to be:

X: Mack / Victor co-starting, Harris and Smith for depth
Z: Dixon / McLaurin co-starting, Gardiner, Babb, Brown for depth
H: Campbell / Hill co-starting, McCall, Sanders, and Gill for depth

But the 6 returning "starters" should assume the same roles as last year. Excited to see what this unit can do with Haskins at the helm. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X