The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

On 9/30/2018 at 12:00 AM, NateDawg said:

Ugly win. A win nonetheless. Really surprised by the inaccuracy and level of discomfort by Haskins in the pocket tonight. I still think he’s great going forward, but if things go right, we will see more tough defenses. 

Defense held really strong tonight aside from no adjustments to the QB run. When you run base man coverage, that’s the threat you run into. Teams will see that and game plan with it. Schiano needs to do better. 

All in all, ecstatic with a win. Tough environment and still undefeated. We basically have four weeks to ‘get well’ before we see any more semi-challenging opponents. Who knows, maybe Bosa gets back then. Anyone not healthy needs to rest next week. 

Minus Bosa and in happy valley. A 1 point victory is a beautiful thing. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Those drops certainly didn't help especially the one that lead to the INT. Haskins didn't play great by any means but considering no WR was helping him in the first half and the setting he played in, I'd say I'm content w/ his performance.

IDK man. Maybe I just had incredibly high expectations for him, but that was an extremely subpar performance. Hostile environment, pressure in his face, WR drops all took place, but Haskins still missed a lot of throws he should have made. He wasn't really setting his feet right in the pocket during a lot of his intermediate throws. He's completely out of the Heisman race, and his draft grade probably dropped two rounds at least from this performance alone.

Yes, he did just enough to win by completing screen passes left and right. I did like his poise on the Victor TD, feeling the pressure and stepping up in the pocket, but to me that was really the lone exception.

I still think he can become the QB we all hope he can be. He may never encounter an environment like that again. But I lost a lot of confidence in his ability from that performance. In time, with experience, I do believe he'll improve back to where we all perceived that he was prior to this game.

Still, thrilled to win, obviously. But my confidence in our potential performance in a playoff game against a team like Bama or Georgia is wavering. Gotta keep grinding.

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

IDK man. Maybe I just had incredibly high expectations for him, but that was an extremely subpar performance. Hostile environment, pressure in his face, WR drops all took place, but Haskins still missed a lot of throws he should have made. He wasn't really setting his feet right in the pocket during a lot of his intermediate throws. He's completely out of the Heisman race, and his draft grade probably dropped two rounds at least from this performance alone.

Yes, he did just enough to win by completing screen passes left and right. I did like his poise on the Victor TD, feeling the pressure and stepping up in the pocket, but to me that was really the lone exception.

I still think he can become the QB we all hope he can be. He may never encounter an environment like that again. But I lost a lot of confidence in his ability from that performance. In time, with experience, I do believe he'll improve back to where we all perceived that he was prior to this game.

Still, thrilled to win, obviously. But my confidence in our potential performance in a playoff game against a team like Bama or Georgia is wavering. Gotta keep grinding.

what did you expect tho for a 1st year starter in his first true road game. The TCU game was pretty buckeye friendly on a neutral site. 

Troy Smith in his first game at PSU was pretty bad. JTB in his first game at PSU was pretty bad. Krenzel first game was pretty bad. a first year starter for tOSU, going into Happy Valley is not good. I think the last QB to truly have a good game in Happy Valley was Boeckman in '07.

Also its hard to say that the Haskins we saw this past weekend would be the same guy we could potentially see in Jan. in the CFP

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

what did you expect tho for a 1st year starter in his first true road game. The TCU game was pretty buckeye friendly on a neutral site. 

Troy Smith in his first game at PSU was pretty bad. JTB in his first game at PSU was pretty bad. Krenzel first game was pretty bad. a first year starter for tOSU, going into Happy Valley is not good. I think the last QB to truly have a good game in Happy Valley was Boeckman in '07.

Also its hard to say that the Haskins we saw this past weekend would be the same guy we could potentially see in Jan. in the CFP

I thought Haskins was better than Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Craig Krenzel and Todd Boeckman. As I said, I had incredibly high expectations for Haskins because I had not seen anything to indicate otherwise. Dude was making remarkable throws game in and game out. I perceived him to be the best pure passer in college football. First year starter or not, I wanted to see him go out there and dominate. It was a wake up call for me.

But you're definitely right, he probably will be a different player by season's end. I expect him to grow a great deal, and this game will be a big part of that maturity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I thought Haskins was better than Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Craig Krenzel and Todd Boeckman. As I said, I had incredibly high expectations for Haskins because I had not seen anything to indicate otherwise. Dude was making remarkable throws game in and game out. I perceived him to be the best pure passer in college football. First year starter or not, I wanted to see him go out there and dominate. It was a wake up call for me.

But you're definitely right, he probably will be a different player by season's end. I expect him to grow a great deal, and this game will be a big part of that maturity.

great pure passer. All the talent in the world but going into a stadium like that, its going to come down to mental ability. Gonna be hard for anyone to make their first road game like that. I am not surprised he struggled. I hope it puts to bed the thought that the season last year would have turned out differently if Haskin played over JTB the entire.

Hard for me to say if he is better than Smith or not. That '06 season he was magical. 

I would hate to see Haskins be one and done this year because next year, his 2nd year as the starter, would be a magical year with his talent coming back wth experience. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

great pure passer. All the talent in the world but going into a stadium like that, its going to come down to mental ability. Gonna be hard for anyone to make their first road game like that. I am not surprised he struggled. I hope it puts to bed the thought that the season last year would have turned out differently if Haskin played over JTB the entire.

Hard for me to say if he is better than Smith or not. That '06 season he was magical. 

I would hate to see Haskins be one and done this year because next year, his 2nd year as the starter, would be a magical year with his talent coming back wth experience. 

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but I felt confident in his ability to handle the pressure with complete poise because of what he did in last year's Michigan game. That throw to Austin Mack on the TD drive...dude...that will probably be the biggest throw of his entire career and maybe his life. The pressure in that moment was greater than anything he'll ever face in the regular season as a Buckeye, hands down. Trailing to Michigan with the starter going out, you can't top that. So I had faith that if he could handle that, he could ball out in Happy Valley. I guess that logic was flawed, as the crowd was in our favor that time.

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I know it's not entirely the same thing, but I felt confident in his ability to handle the pressure with complete poise because of what he did in last year's Michigan game. That throw to Austin Mack on the TD drive...dude...that will probably be the biggest throw of his entire career and maybe his life. The pressure in that moment was greater than anything he'll ever face in the regular season as a Buckeye, hands down. Trailing to Michigan with the starter going out, you can't top that. So I had faith that if he could handle that, he could ball out in Happy Valley. I guess that logic was flawed, as the crowd was in our favor that time.

I dont like counting that Michigan game. Michigan spent all week preparing to stop JTB and his rushing attack. Haskins comes in and picks them apart because Michigan had no idea how to defend an tOSU passing attack because they didnt see a legit passing attack out of them on the field in any tape cause JTB couldnt pass worth a lick. 

PSU has 4 games worth of tape to work and they were properly prepared. Add in the homefield, i am not surprised one bit what the outcome. 

25 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I dont like counting that Michigan game. Michigan spent all week preparing to stop JTB and his rushing attack. Haskins comes in and picks them apart because Michigan had no idea how to defend an tOSU passing attack because they didnt see a legit passing attack out of them on the field in any tape cause JTB couldnt pass worth a lick. 

PSU has 4 games worth of tape to work and they were properly prepared. Add in the homefield, i am not surprised one bit what the outcome. 

No gameplan could have prevented that throw. I mean, you're not wrong, but I don't buy that reasoning when it comes to that pass. The pressure was immense, the coverage was tight, and it was executed to perfection.

6 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

No gameplan could have prevented that throw. I mean, you're not wrong, but I don't buy that reasoning when it comes to that pass. The pressure was immense, the coverage was tight, and it was executed to perfection.

what pass are you talking about? 

37 minutes ago, Wulfgard said:

I want to know why our LB's are so bad. Slow, no explosive plays, more negative than positive plays, and poor recognition. With the recruiting over the past few years it's unacceptable.

Has to get better. Borland has good instincts in the middle but is incredibly slow, likely affected by his injury. Harrison is athletic but weak at the point-of-attack. Werner and Browning have some talent but need some coaching and experience. Not a championship LB unit by any means right now. At this point I’d consider playing the young/most talented LBs through this weak part of the schedule and hope they learn through experience. I’d tinker with FS also. Pryor is not a FS. He’s given up some huge plays, doesn’t take good angles, and can’t be trusted as the last line of defense. I’d play around with Wade, freshmen, etc. This is the time to figure things out. Wint/Pryor not the answer back there. An awesome DL is our saving grace on D right now, even as we’re missing Bosa.

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Has to get better. Borland has good instincts in the middle but is incredibly slow, likely affected by his injury. Harrison is athletic but weak at the point-of-attack. Werner and Browning have some talent but need some coaching and experience. Not a championship LB unit by any means right now. At this point I’d consider playing the young/most talented LBs through this weak part of the schedule and hope they learn through experience. I’d tinker with FS also. Pryor is not a FS. He’s given up some huge plays, doesn’t take good angles, and can’t be trusted as the last line of defense. I’d play around with Wade, freshmen, etc. This is the time to figure things out. Wint/Pryor not the answer back there. An awesome DL is our saving grace on D right now, even as we’re missing Bosa.

Agreed about the LB's and specifically about Wint as far as the safeties go. I don't think Pryor is great, but Wint has been godawful.

5 hours ago, Wulfgard said:

I want to know why our LB's are so bad. Slow, no explosive plays, more negative than positive plays, and poor recognition. With the recruiting over the past few years it's unacceptable.

Bill....Davis.....

At this point, I wish we could pay Fickell for a half hour webinar on LB play or Meyer just takes it over himself.

• Like 1

QBs are not immune to having bad games. Haskins is not exempt from this. He has played well in big games prior (UM, TCU). It wasn't his best game but I'm not nearly as bothered by it as some are. If it were more the norm than the exception, I would be but I don't harp on the exception to the rule. Just hoping he bounces back and plays well against Indy. I'll look through a stat sheet after it happens.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 2