Redskins to Sign WR Paul Richardson

e16bball

Don’t think Alex Smith needs monsters out wide for the offense to work. We’ve seen enough of him to know he works the offense from the inside out. His offense last year was Tyreek Hill making plays with YAC and a heavy dose of Travis Kelce. Of course Kareem Hunt kept the offense on schedule too. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Don’t think Alex Smith needs monsters out wide for the offense to work. We’ve seen enough of him to know he works the offense from the inside out. His offense last year was Tyreek Hill making plays with YAC and a heavy dose of Travis Kelce. Of course Kareem Hunt kept the offense on schedule too. 

Hopefully Guice can be our Hunt on the ground, Thompson can make huge plays off of receptions, and Reed and Smith develop good chemistry. If that happens things should be more open for Crowder, Doctson and Richardson to make some plays on the outside.

3 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The biggest problem with our receiving corps is how injury prone all the main guys are besides Vernon and Crowder.  The talent will be above average if everyone stays healthy.  That's a huge if though.

So, you're saying, sign Dez as what will be.. needed depth? :P 

On 5/9/2018 at 10:14 PM, lavar703 said:

And then cancelled out the compensation picks by paying McClain and McGee 

Yup.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:16 AM, Vladimir L said:

Could have been a play off team with Kirk working with these guys.

Very possibly.

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ryan Grant, Josh Doctson and Paul Richardson all had more TDs themselves than Djax & Garçon had combined last season.

Both Jackson and Garcon found themselves in different situations. Had either (or both) stayed, I think it's a reasonable bet that they would have had a more successful season that what they did in 2017. Allen didn't want either of them, so they left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

Only in the Redskins forum can a team take a pounding for not giving $20M+ a year to two 31-year-old WRs who barely combined for 1000 yards in the first (read: likely best) season of their multi-year deals.

We will never know if they could have been had for cheaper contracts because the front office didn't even try to retain them.

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but they both went to crappy QB situations.

Garçon did. DJax didn’t.

At least not a bad QB for receivers to put up numbers with. Jameis missed a couple games, but his per-game average had him on pace for about 350 completions, about 4300 yards, and almost 25 TDs. He also sat right at the top of the league in all the advanced stats that speak to aggressiveness and throwing/completing the ball down the field, so I think it would be pretty odd to suggest that he held DJax back in any way. 

Garçon actually played well with a bad QB, as you would expect him to of course. But then he got badly hurt — which, as it turns out, is right near the top of the list of reasons why not to give big long-term money to aging skill position players. 

2 hours ago, Woz said:

We will never know if they could have been had for cheaper contracts because the front office didn't even try to retain them.

Why would the FO trying to retain them have caused us to get them for cheaper?

I don’t think there’s any reason to think they’d have cut us a big discount — they were drafted by other teams and played for years elsewhere, they aren’t from this area, they aren’t life-long Skins fans, etc. Plus, given the way even Redskins fans constantly talk about how anyone with any sense would get the hell away from this franchise as fast as they can, why would these guys have chosen to stick around for cheap?

I mean look, I liked Garçon a lot. I would have hoped to bring him back on a short and/or cheap deal. The market dictated more than that for him, and it was clear from square one that his next contract wasn’t going to be short or cheap. And 5/$47M? Enjoy him.

I don’t like DJax (on the football field, at least, I don’t know him as a person). But I recognize the value he has provided as a weapon. At 3/$33M? Enjoy him.

I think they made a very smart move letting those guys walk. It hurt in the short term, no doubt. But those are bad contracts and they would have hurt us long-term. And I think it would have been Redskins business as usual to bring either of them back at anything close to those prices. Seriously overpaying a guy on an unwise contract largely because you don’t trust your ability to replace him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Yup.

Very possibly.

Both Jackson and Garcon found themselves in different situations. Had either (or both) stayed, I think it's a reasonable bet that they would have had a more successful season that what they did in 2017. Allen didn't want either of them, so they left.

Allen didn’t want to pay top dollar for aging WRs, which is understandable. We all didn’t agree with that as all of us wanted to keep either Djax or Garcon. I definitely agree Djax & Garcon would’ve had better seasons if they had been retained in DC. We had a better qb than the other two teams and they had good chemistry with Kirk. I do think Djax & Garçon will have good seasons this year if Winston stays healthy and Jimmy G continues to play well in San Fran. 

That being said, I don’t think either Djax or Garcon will have more TDs than Doctson. I could see them having the same amount or just above Crowder and Richardson though.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Garçon did. DJax didn’t.

At least not a bad QB for receivers to put up numbers with. Jameis missed a couple games, but his per-game average had him on pace for about 350 completions, about 4300 yards, and almost 25 TDs. He also sat right at the top of the league in all the advanced stats that speak to aggressiveness and throwing/completing the ball down the field, so I think it would be pretty odd to suggest that he held DJax back in any way. 

Garçon actually played well with a bad QB, as you would expect him to of course. But then he got badly hurt — which, as it turns out, is right near the top of the list of reasons why not to give big long-term money to aging skill position players. 

I don’t think there’s any reason to think they’d have cut us a big discount — they were drafted by other teams and played for years elsewhere, they aren’t from this area, they aren’t life-long Skins fans, etc. Plus, given the way even Redskins fans constantly talk about how anyone with any sense would get the hell away from this franchise as fast as they can, why would these guys have chosen to stick around for cheap?

I mean look, I liked Garçon a lot. I would have hoped to bring him back on a short and/or cheap deal. The market dictated more than that for him, and it was clear from square one that his next contract wasn’t going to be short or cheap. And 5/$47M? Enjoy him.

I don’t like DJax (on the football field, at least, I don’t know him as a person). But I recognize the value he has provided as a weapon. At 3/$33M? Enjoy him.

I think they made a very smart move letting those guys walk. It hurt in the short term, no doubt. But those are bad contracts and they would have hurt us long-term. And I think it would have been Redskins business as usual to bring either of them back at anything close to those prices. Seriously overpaying a guy on an unwise contract largely because you don’t trust your ability to replace him. 

This, all day long.

Edited by turtle28

On 5/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, e16bball said:

We don't know what they would have signed for here because zero effort was made. Maybe they would have both required the same contract they ended up with, maybe not. My point was the front office let both guys walk without trying. If they offered a contract and then got rebuffed, then so be it. It's the lack of even considering it that I found irritating.

No, neither Jackson nor Garcon would have been a long term solution here. But they didn't have a plan for what would happen if Doctson and Pryor didn't pan out (and they didn't).

On 5/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, e16bball said:

At 5/$47M, absolutely let him walk.

Problem is we don't know if they could have had him at shorter/cheaper because they didn't try.

Evidently we made the right move letting Garcon and DJax move on. They did jack squat last year. Way too much money for them we can use wisely elsewhere. I think they were a product of our system. Jay may not be able to design good run plays but the passing game? Hes about on point as it gets. Made Kirk Cousins a lot of money, can't question that.