Post Keenum Reality - IMO / Round 1 Propects

BaldyBronco

I do really think we're done at QB now. I think Elway's going to give Keenum, Lynch and Kelly two years of offensive consistency, hoping one of the three becomes our QBOTF.

We're going to need that 5th pick to strengthen our overall roster, not toss another QB into the mix.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I do really think we're done at QB now. I think Elway's going to give Keenum, Lynch and Kelly two years of offensive consistency, hoping one of the three becomes our QBOTF.

We're going to need that 5th pick to strengthen our overall roster, not toss another QB into the mix.

We are not done at QB IMO. If Keenum flames out next year (which stands a good chance of happening), we are right back where we are now in 2019, looking for a QB with possibly a lower draft pick and no clue if the next QB draft class is any good. We CANNOT put all of our eggs in the Keenum basket. I still fully expect us to take a QB at 5.

4 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

We are not done at QB IMO. If Keenum flames out next year (which stands a good chance of happening), we are right back where we are now in 2019, looking for a QB with possibly a lower draft pick and no clue if the next QB draft class is any good. We CANNOT put all of our eggs in the Keenum basket. I still fully expect us to take a QB at 5.

Not the Keenum basket, the Keenum, Lynch, Kelly basket. All it takes is one of the three.

I do think we're done at QB.

If we draft someone, especially at No. 5 overall, it creates an instant QB controversy; the veterans hate it, Keenum hates it, the rookie hates it, everyone has to answer a million questions about it, the entire focus of the media is on the QB battle one or two bad games from Keenum and the first five questions every time Vance (or anyone) takes questions is about Keenum's job security and when this shiny new rookie is going to see the field. 

I honestly don't think it matters who that QB at No. 5 is, even someone like Allen or Mayfield who will need time to sit and learn, it's still a distraction this team wants to avoid. 

Elway is going to follow the Minnesota/Jacksonville model and try to build a contending team with a game-manager QB who limits mistakes. That's actually not a model terribly divorced from what we won the Super Bowl with when we had a declining Peyton and Brock not being asked to do too much. The top three QBs in the AFC - Brady, Ben, Rivers - are all on the proverbial 16th greens of their careers. 

We're going to show all sorts of interest in QBs leading right up to the draft when someone will trade up with us for a king's ransom of picks. If that doesn't come to pass, and no one bites on a trade, we take the non-QB BPA at No. 5. 

The more I think about I think that is the plan and has been all along. From all the reports, national and local, the Elway/Kubiak/Russell/Vance/Musgrave brain trust think highly of Keenum. 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

If we draft someone, especially at No. 5 overall, it creates an instant QB controversy; the veterans hate it, Keenum hates it, the rookie hates it, everyone has to answer a million questions about it, the entire focus of the media is on the QB battle one or two bad games from Keenum and the first five questions every time Vance (or anyone) takes questions is about Keenum's job security and when this shiny new rookie is going to see the field. 

I honestly don't think it matters who that QB at No. 5 is, even someone like Allen or Mayfield who will need time to sit and learn, it's still a distraction this team wants to avoid. 

Elway is going to follow the Minnesota/Jacksonville model and try to build a contending team with a game-manager QB who limits mistakes. That's actually not a model terribly divorced from what we won the Super Bowl with when we had a declining Peyton and Brock not being asked to do too much. The top three QBs in the AFC - Brady, Ben, Rivers - are all on the proverbial 16th greens of their careers. 

We're going to show all sorts of interest in QBs leading right up to the draft when someone will trade up with us for a king's ransom of picks. If that doesn't come to pass, and no one bites on a trade, we take the non-QB BPA at No. 5. 

The more I think about I think that is the plan and has been all along. From all the reports, national and local, the Elway/Kubiak/Russell/Vance/Musgrave brain trust think highly of Keenum. 

Do you want me to make us some #TeamTradeDown t-shirts? 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Great points and I agree. We don't need the distraction. What we need are better personnel, a stable offensive system and time for our coaches to do their jobs.

The last thing I want to hear this year is "open competition" at QB.

One thing that sways me away from the QB at 5 discussion is the idea that maybe Vance Joseph isn't really safe as coach. I mean, let's be real, it was a question as to whether he'd come back. A lot of our FA signings and contracts on guys are kinda up after this season. We could move on from a host of players after this season. If the team is garbage, Vance gets fired, a lot of the players go, and you start over fresh. It's tough to attract coaches when you tell them who their QB has to be.

I’ll believe the 5th pick is anything other than a QB when I see it. We’ve seen the Eagles and Bears in the last 2 offseasons sign veteran QBs then still go get their guy. I think Keenum is being brought in just as a veteran bridge guy, Lynch is on the roster because it costs us more than it saves to cut him, and Chad Kelly is a nobody who will just be the 4th arm in camp before inevitably being cut despite a vocal section of the Broncos support thinking he’s the second coming of Dan Marino (see Sloter, Kyle; Van Pelt, Bradley; Martin, Ingle; Brandstater, Tom; Dysert, Zac and Sloter, Kyle. And inevitably a bunch of other nobodies that I’ve forgotten about) 

4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

One thing that sways me away from the QB at 5 discussion is the idea that maybe Vance Joseph isn't really safe as coach. I mean, let's be real, it was a question as to whether he'd come back. A lot of our FA signings and contracts on guys are kinda up after this season. We could move on from a host of players after this season. If the team is garbage, Vance gets fired, a lot of the players go, and you start over fresh. It's tough to attract coaches when you tell them who their QB has to be.

That's also a good point.

It's one of the reasons why I was saying the last couple weeks that Keenum + a rookie at No. 5 who won't start would hamstring our chances to land a new HC next year and said HC and his staff would be handcuffed to that rookie QB who would, at that point, be a complete unknown. 

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

According to this trade value chart, pick No. 5 is worth 1700 points and thus Buffalo's No. 12 (1200) and No. 21 (800) would cover it. 

Would love this for the Broncos and there is even a bit of a premium.  If you look at 2016, the Eagles gave up to get to 2, they actually won per the point system.  It took 1.8 (1400), 3.77 (205), 4.100 (100) in '16, 1.25 (720) in '17 and 2.70 (270) this year.  2695 Total.  Philly got 1.2 and Wentz (2600) and 4.1(112) in '17 2712 total.  So if Buffalo is willing to package a future picks, they are pretty close with 12 already if they can illustrate this to other teams. 

Its only scary if Elway wants a QB and puts some pressure on him to do the same.  If Elway tried to get up the board the only reason he would do it is for a QB.  And then, why would you not.  If not, trading back is the only logical move.  You don't sit at 5 and hope you get your guy.  It boils down for me as I work through this, that the only scenario I hate, is actually just sitting there and picking at 5. 

Ben Allbright, who I know some don't like, is making some interesting comments on Twitter. It's entirely possible Denver could land Barkley at 5. Hell, they could have their pick of a bunch of guys.

Cleveland takes Darnold, Giants take Rosen, Bills trade to 3 for Allen, Dolphins trade to 4 for Mayfield. That's very possible given the interest these teams have. If the Giants take anything other than QB at 2, but the rest holds, there would be one QB sitting there at 5, and who knows, there's teams out there who need QBs that may be anxious to jump the Jets. If not, Denver would have their choice of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, etc...

This could very well work out better than expected.

Just now, broncos67 said:

Ben Allbright, who I know some don't like, is making some interesting comments on Twitter. It's entirely possible Denver could land Barkley at 5. Hell, they could have their pick of a bunch of guys.

Cleveland takes Darnold, Giants take Rosen, Bills trade to 3 for Allen, Dolphins trade to 4 for Mayfield. That's very possible given the interest these teams have. If the Giants take anything other than QB at 2, but the rest holds, there would be one QB sitting there at 5, and who knows, there's teams out there who need QBs that may be anxious to jump the Jets. If not, Denver would have their choice of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, etc...

This could very well work out better than expected.

No reason not to like Ben. He absolutely nails everything on Twitter. 

13 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's also a good point.

It's one of the reasons why I was saying the last couple weeks that Keenum + a rookie at No. 5 who won't start would hamstring our chances to land a new HC next year and said HC and his staff would be handcuffed to that rookie QB who would, at that point, be a complete unknown. 

The counter to the above argument is if you get the QBOTF picked now and he’s legit the list of good to great HC who would want to come explodes.  

Archived