Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

2 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

He's one of the great Packers. It will be weird to see him in another team's uniform, no matter what team he goes to. I'm surprised that there seems to be so much interest in him. He looked washed up once Rodgers got hurt. He would catch the ball and go to the ground immediately. 

Agree.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hmmmmmmm.....that interesting. Just took a look at your WR lineup. Dont know most of them outside Moore, Crabtree and Patterson. Whats with moving Cooper to the slot? Honestly, I think thats where Nelson should be considered. Alot of Packer fans wanted the team to cut Cobb and move Nelson inside.

Cooper needs to get the ball more. Struggled to get it to him this year. 

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Nelson is really not a fit in NE unless they want him to play the slot.  And he's very much the opposite of guys that they have historically featured in the slot: Welker, Amendola, Edelman.

NE already has Cooks locked in at one outside spot, dorsett and Britt and mitchell competing for the other one, Hogan in that kind of role, and Edelman locked in as a slot guy.  Amendola was their backup slot forced into full time duty because of injury.  There isn't a huge opening for Jordy unless they cut Edelman (who is cheap) or expect him to handily beat out those other guys.

Agree - but they just lost Amendola (I think) to Miami. In either case, Nelsons no longer as "quick" as their normal slot guys. Ask me - they'd value his experience and smarts. I've got nothing against the guy but did question what he had left.

1 minute ago, Blazer026 said:

Cooper needs to get the ball more. Struggled to get it to him this year. 

Is that Carr's fault? Has Moore got breakaway speed on the outside? I thought so - but I've only seen him a few times.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree - but they just lost Amendola (I think) to Miami. In either case, Nelsons no longer as "quick" as their normal slot guys. Ask me - they'd value his experience and smarts. I've got nothing against the guy but did question what he had left.

yeah, that's what I mean.  They would be replacing amendola with... someone not at all like amendola.  Jordy is not bursty or quick like those typical inside receiver targets in NE.

BB will always go for players he respects, and Jordy roasting Revis I'm sure is 100% etched into his memory, so there's always a chance.  But it doesn't fit their MO to me.

Also gonna add this re: Jordy.

I like Jordy, but I am really glad that we have a GM who values the long term and short term health of the team and organization over pandering or playing favorites with a beloved player.  This is a ruthless business and you need to be ruthless with these types of decisions.

To me, this is the best sign we've seen that Gute has the chops to make this thing work.

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I like Jordy, but I am really glad that we have a GM who values the long term and short term health of the team and organization over pandering or playing favorites with a beloved player.  This is a ruthless business and you need to be ruthless with these types of decisions.

To me, this is the best sign we've seen that Gute has the chops to make this thing work.

Did you see his press conference? I think he nailed it.

First - he actually held a PC - which never happened in TTs time.

Second - he hit all the right notes regards Nelson. The guys been a stud for the team - but - "some decisions are tough" (paraphrasing). I was thinking (or based on readings had come to believe) Nelson would come back for less money and Cobb would ride his contract out. Well, turns out the team had a more severe idea how much less Nelson should get. Was that to force the issue and get rid of Nelson by having him decline the cutback? Dont know / cant say - but its possible. Regardless - we need an outside WR on the roster to step up and/or we need to draft some DYNAMIC PLAYMAKERS and get them on the field. I dont think we'll be working this position thru FA.  Davante's #1, Cobb's #2, Graham's #3 (IMO) - then we'll see.

It's March. PLENTY of time and I think we had a good day.

17 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Agree.   Whether it is the right move for the 2018 season will depend on how the departure is filled and how the freed up $$ is used.

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

Something about the Gutelinger's comment about not letting good players walk out the door makes me think he'll be back. But it is kind of weird to cut him instead of just restructuring. They did it with other players I suppose.

Perhaps Jordy didn't want to be restructured?   I suspect we are letting him go because of his play after Rodgers got hurt.  It still is rather sad.  :(

46 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Perhaps Jordy didn't want to be restructured?   I suspect we are letting him go because of his play after Rodgers got hurt.  It still is rather sad.  :(

Ya, Wilde reported they offered him a really low restructure offer and he turned it down.

i remember being like 11 watching this multiple times a week getting hyped after they drafted him. it's weird that it legit makes me kinda sad he's not on the team anymore lol. this makes me even sadder than driver. and that's the only players i was sad about. besides jermichael. 

Archived