Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Come on...

You really think they said "Jordy at this point you're worth 2m, you can leave if you don't want that."

It was probably along the lines of:

"Jordy we've got the structure of what we want to pay each position group, we need to upgrade TE and the defense. We're looking at say 25m in cap for the receivers, that leaves about 2m for you, I know it's a low offer but that's where we need to be at to keep you."

What different does it make how it’s said, it’s insulting either way. Agree to disagree on it because I know I’m not changing my mind. Good for Jordy for getting his pay and finding a team that thinks he can still ball. 

Just now, Ketchup said:

What different does it make how it’s said, it’s insulting either way. Agree to disagree on it because I know I’m not changing my mind. Good for Jordy for getting his pay and finding a team that thinks he can still ball. 

I doubt Jordy is as sensitive as Packer fans are about him. 

It's a business and the Packers handled this the right way. Now Jordy got a nice deal out of it.

14 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It absolutely was. Just cut him and be done with it. No need to insult the guy and ask him to play for peanuts. What purpose does that serve besides being an insult? 

I agree.  Telling him that he needs to take an 80% pay cut is basically telling him he's worthless to the franchise.  Seeeing that he'd already left 10's of millions of dollars on the table for the better of the Packers with his previous 2 extensions, I'm not at all surpsired he didn't take the peanuts Green Bay was offering.  He'd already foolishly taken money form his family twice for the Packers its no surprise he didn't do it this time.   

He got 13 million guaranteed in this contract.  The second contract he signed with Green Bay when he was produceing like a top 7-10 WR guaranteed him just 14 million.  That just shows the MASSIVE home town discount he played for.   He was easily the most under paid WR in the NFL over his career given the massive contracts lesser NFL WRs around him  were making.  It was a Tom Brady esk caliber of sacrifice for the team.  He's got to feel like an idiot leaving all that money on the table for the better of a franchise who treated him like he was just a camp body they signed off the street for a TC.

1 minute ago, SSG said:

I agree.  Telling him that he needs to take an 80% pay cut is basically telling him he's worthless to the franchise.  Seeeing that he'd already left 10's of millions of dollars on the table for the better of the Packers with his previous 2 extensions, I'm not at all surpsired he didn't take the peanuts Green Bay was offering.  He'd already foolishly taken money form his family twice for the Packers its no surprise he didn't do it this time.   

He got 13 million guaranteed in this contract.  The second contract he signed with Green Bay when he was produceing like a top 7-10 WR guaranteed him just 14 million.  He was easily the most under paid WR in the NFL over his career given the massive contracts lesser NFL WRs around him  were making.  He's got to feel like an idiot leaving all that money on the table for the better of a franchise who treated him like he was just a camp body they signed off the street for a TC.

Lol these kind of takes make me laugh.

Jordy might not make anything more than a rookie contract and disappear without coming to Green Bay. Same with Rodgers if he was drafted in San Fran.

He was drafted here (a pick no one liked) we let guys like James Jones and Greg Jennings go and instead paid Jordy twice. He's gotten endorsements from local companies and I know at least Tide and Nike on a national scale and made now 57 million in his career from the Packers organization.

Damn them Packers for looking out for their organization again. 

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol these kind of takes make me laugh.

Jordy might not make anything more than a rookie contract and disappear without coming to Green Bay. Same with Rodgers if he was drafted in San Fran.

He was drafted here (a pick no one liked) we let guys like James Jones and Greg Jennings go and instead paid Jordy twice. He's gotten endorsements from local companies and I know at least Tide and Nike on a national scale and made now 57 million in his career from the Packers organization.

Damn them Packers for looking out for their organization again. 

And this kind of spinning makes me laugh.  It’s a cold hard fact Jordy took a pretty significant discount on both his extensions he signed in GB. No, the Packers don’t owe him anything but anyone thinking it wasn’t an insult to ask him to play for vet minimum needs to take the green shades off. I have zero issue with the release. That’s business. Asking him to play for pennies just didn’t need to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

And this kind of spinning makes me laugh.  It’s a cold hard fact Jordy took a pretty significant discount on both his extensions he signed in GB. No, the Packers don’t owe him anything but anyone thinking it wasn’t an insult to ask him to play for vet minimum needs to take the green shades off. I have zero issue with the release. That’s business. Asking him to play for pennies just didn’t need to happen. 

So you're upset they said, "this is what we can afford this year if you want to stay" instead of just flat out showing him the door?

Just now, Packerraymond said:

So you're upset they said, "this is what we can afford this year if you want to stay" instead of just flat out showing him the door?

That’s what they said? Got a source on that? Of course you don’t, you’re just assuming. I’m basing my opinion off what we know, and that’s they asked him to play for vet minimum. The context of how they asked him is unknown so why even debate about that. 

3 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

That’s what they said? Got a source on that? Of course you don’t, you’re just assuming. I’m basing my opinion off what we know, and that’s they asked him to play for vet minimum. The context of how they asked him is unknown so why even debate about that. 

Really? Haha that's a safe assumption. Gute literally said they'll never burn a bridge with a guy like that. They held a frickin presser just to thank him for playing in GB and to wish him well.

I'm sure they told him to take the vet min or don't let the door hit you on the way out.

This is ridiculous, seems we went from Green Bay Favre fans to Green Bay Jordy fans because anyone who truly believes in what this organization stands for wouldn't need a "source" to know they treated Jordy with the utmost of dignity and respect in this process.

20 minutes ago, SSG said:

He got 13 million guaranteed in this contract.  The second contract he signed with Green Bay when he was produceing like a top 7-10 WR guaranteed him just 14 million.  That just shows the MASSIVE home town discount he played for.   He was easily the most under paid WR in the NFL over his career given the massive contracts lesser NFL WRs around him  were making.  It was a Tom Brady esk caliber of sacrifice for the team.  He's got to feel like an idiot leaving all that money on the table for the better of a franchise who treated him like he was just a camp body they signed off the street for a TC.

Lol

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Who is your source that they offered him peanuts? Not the place that printed it, an actual source?

Packers have been nothing but classy to Jordy.  We owe him nothing more than our honest offer for his future services and a genuine thanks for his former services.  If he wants to take that as a chip, go ahead.  Doubt he'll prove anyone wrong.

I'd be interested to see how much Jordy would have taken to stay. Say it was a minimum of something like 5 mil, there really is no point in releasing him if we wanted to give him anywhere close to that. Wasn't the point of releasing him to gain cap space? Sure the offer was crap, but whats the point if you wanted to keep most of the 10 million?

Archived