Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Yes, it is hard to sign people if you don't reach out to them...

So can this narrative - that TT tried to use FA, but players just didn't want to come here - go away?

Just now, th87 said:

So can this narrative - that TT tried to use FA, but players just didn't want to come here - go away?

We've signed two players.  One of them a tight end (we signed a tight end in each of the past two offseasons, and two last offseason) and a DE that was cut and knew the coordinator.  Don't get out the Ted Thompson effigy and matches just yet. 

Edit: Thompson didn't want to sign free agents, that's true, but there were plenty he did want to sign that didn't sign with us. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

We've signed two players.  One of them a tight end (we signed a tight end in each of the past two offseasons, and two last offseason) and a DE that was cut and knew the coordinator.  Don't get out the Ted Thompson effigy and matches just yet. 

I guess so. But I just find it difficult to believe that players wouldn't be interested in playing for a contender and with the GOAT QB.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Thompson didn't want to sign free agents, that's true, but there were plenty he did want to sign that didn't sign with us.

I don't think he really "wanted" FAs.

He only wanted to sign FAs who were willing to take a discount to come play in GB.  We were never gonna get a discount.  We have no FL advantage of weather and state tax, we have no big market advantage of marketability.

I want to find $2000 outside my doorstep in my mailbox.  My wanting it doesn't make it remotely possible.

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Still interested to see how he drafts, if differently. But ya I never thought was gonna be light years different than how we've handled it in the past.

Just now, th87 said:

I guess so. But I just find it difficult to believe that players wouldn't be interested in playing for a contender and with the GOAT QB.

That's me and you though.  That's from a fan's perspective.  It's easy to think Patrick Mahomes looks like Aaron Rodgers through 16 million dollar glasses. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That's me and you though.  That's from a fan's perspective.  It's easy to think Patrick Mahomes looks like Aaron Rodgers through 16 million dollar glasses. 

Yeah I think we're all saying the same thing then.  16M was a number Ted was never willing to consider.  We just paid out the highest TE contract ever at the position.

Aaron Rodgers looks even better through those glasses.  That's what we're all saying.

I still think the criticism of TT's FA strategy is unfair.  I don't have the time to look this up, but I can't think of many big FAs during his tenure that he missed on, or that the Packers should have signed.  Not turning over the bottom of the roster with some more low key FAs or trades is where he missed the boat IMO.

Great signing here.  Rare opportunity to find a guy in FA with his ability, but to also have the situation and money work so well too.

37 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

ask @CWood21.  he's the founding member and the only one who can dissolve the cult

Take it up with Reggie McKenzie, he directly addressed the issue after being in Personnel for Green Bay for 17+ years

"There are just a lot of guys we've talked to through the years that didn't want to be in Green Bay," McKenzie said. "For whatever reason, they didn't want to be there. We've tried negotiating, done what we can. But if a guy doesn't want to be there, what can you do?"

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Take it up with Reggie McKenzie, he directly addressed the issue after being in Personnel for Green Bay for 17+ years

"There are just a lot of guys we've talked to through the years that didn't want to be in Green Bay," McKenzie said. "For whatever reason, they didn't want to be there. We've tried negotiating, done what we can. But if a guy doesn't want to be there, what can you do?"

Agreed, I think it's the small town thing.  Players seem to be more interested in big city action.

18 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Old news IMO, doesn't apply when you have a generational talent. What does CLE have to offer? NBA guys still have taken less throughout the year to play with LeBron.

It puts us at a disadvantage for guys that put their brand over football and want to party. Don't mind we don't get those guys anyway.

Vets that want to win championships? We have as good a shot as any.

1 hour ago, th87 said:

The bottom line is that it's all about that bottom line, and TT had his contract ceiling.

Now for EDGE and CB. I assume this means more 3-4, because otherwise I'm not the biggest fan.

Archived