Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not going to touch the Kaep situation. I'll start venting. 

1. Rosen

2. Darnold

3.Baker

4. Jackson

5. Allen (Depends on the coach/surrounding)

I think the coaching and surroundings comment applies to all these guys. Look at Goff. He gets an offensive coach that puts him in a system that fits his skills and all of sudden he is a top young QB. I'm sure there are other examples but I don't have any others in mind. But most QBs are better in certain systems. 

49 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

For what it is worth .....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-qb-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Heard them on WFAN's morning show last week .. they believe Mayfield is the top QB by a wide margin.

a lot of people don’t believe in Baker, but all 4 of the QBs have flaws. really gonna come down to their passion, work ethic and coaching. I am all for baker at #3 if the FO truly believes he can be the guy. Broadway Baker can bring us to the promise land if all breaks right. even bought myself a Mayfield Oklahoma jersey to wear during the draft to show some support for him. if we don’t get him, I’d prefer Rosen. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For me Mayfield has ticket sales, media, etc. not wins written all over it. Typical Jets.

He won more games than any of these other guys.  I know hen had a better team but lets be honest a QB has to win games.  Rosen had 2 losing seasons.  His only winning season was his freshman year.  I know that doesn't all fall on Rosen, but some of it does.  Gotta find a way to win.  Even his huge comeback against A&M involved a terribly thrown ball going right through a defenders 2 hands and into his WR's hands for a TD.

49 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

He won more games than any of these other guys.  I know hen had a better team but lets be honest a QB has to win games.  Rosen had 2 losing seasons.  His only winning season was his freshman year.  I know that doesn't all fall on Rosen, but some of it does.  Gotta find a way to win.  Even his huge comeback against A&M involved a terribly thrown ball going right through a defenders 2 hands and into his WR's hands for a TD.

Means nothing to me. Let’s sign Kellen Moore then.

3 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

For what it is worth .....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-ranking-the-qb-prospects-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Heard them on WFAN's morning show last week .. they believe Mayfield is the top QB by a wide margin.

Again, I think people have to realize that PFF's college rating system is flawed because it doesn't account for scheme and talent level. Just as I've posed the question for Allen: how do you feel Rosen would've performed in that Air Raid under the same circumstances as Mayfield (3 years in the system, one of the most talented offenses in college football)?

I don't think Mayfield will be a bad player. What I do think is that it'll be a love-hate relationship in NY and unlike college, he won't have an easy schedule facing Big 12 defenses every week... he's going to have tough match ups and will have his fair share of games where he'll be questioned or criticized. He'll need to be calm, cool, and collected and can't be fazed by the outside noise. Brady has that dog deep within him, but he's never making headlines for antics or punchlines... ever.

I may not like his antics and I think he gives off a very "me first" attitude, but that's not the primary thing that would upset me... selecting him over Josh Rosen is what would disappoint me. Look, I get it, Baker embodies the mentality of the blue-collar culture we're trying to build and will sell a ton of tickets. If you want to take him over Josh Allen I completely understand. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that from an upside and talent standpoint, Josh Rosen is the most complete QB prospect to come out since Luck. He's got the high floor and the high ceiling. Who cares what Mora says, look at the tape. As Louis Riddick said: "you don't play the game the way he does unless you love it." He took some real vicious hits in college that he could've avoided by throwing the ball away or just going down, but instead, he decided to keep his eyes down field and step into the hit in order to get his guy an opportunity to catch the ball. I aways admire that out of QBs. He's 21 years old, is accountable, and realizes he needs to tone down what he's talking about off the field... he has leadership instincts, even if he's not the rah rah type like Baker, just help him develop as that leader.  

Bottom Line: Baker Mayfield can be good, Josh Rosen could be one of the greats

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Again, I think people have to realize that PFF's college rating system is flawed because it doesn't account for scheme and talent level. Just as I've posed the question for Allen: how do you feel Rosen would've performed in that Air Raid under the same circumstances as Mayfield (3 years in the system, one of the most talented offenses in college football)?

I don't think Mayfield will be a bad player. What I do think is that it'll be a love-hate relationship in NY and unlike college, he won't have an easy schedule facing Big 12 defenses every week... he's going to have tough match ups and will have his fair share of games where he'll be questioned or criticized. He'll need to be calm, cool, and collected and can't be fazed by the outside noise. Brady has that dog deep within him, but he's never making headlines for antics or punchlines... ever.

I may not like his antics and I think he gives off a very "me first" attitude, but that's not the primary thing that would upset me... selecting him over Josh Rosen is what would disappoint me. Look, I get it, Baker embodies the mentality of the blue-collar culture we're trying to build and will sell a ton of tickets. If you want to take him over Josh Allen I completely understand. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that from an upside and talent standpoint, Josh Rosen is the most complete QB prospect to come out since Luck. He's got the high floor and the high ceiling. Who cares what Mora says, look at the tape. As Louis Riddick said: "you don't play the game the way he does unless you love it." He took some real vicious hits in college that he could've avoided by throwing the ball away or just going down, but instead, he decided to keep his eyes down field and step into the hit in order to get his guy an opportunity to catch the ball. I aways admire that out of QBs. He's 21 years old, is accountable, and realizes he needs to tone down what he's talking about off the field... he has leadership instincts, even if he's not the rah rah type like Baker, just help him develop as that leader.  

Your main sentence I get out of this, that I 100% agree with is with Rosen you get the high ceiling AND high floor. Mayfields floor is very low with his antics and an off the field issue. His ceiling is also not as high imo. And like you’ve stated with me several times this whole accurate an can do everything stuff with Mayfield is getting old. Every year a big 12 Texas Tech, OSU QB should go top 5 then based on that logic.

3 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Oh come on that guy threw a buttload of picks in college, and had a far weaker arm.

His team wasn’t as good as we keep saying regarding Mayfield. And his arm strength wasn’t bad at all. He wasn’t drafted high bc of his size and system. Sound familiar?!?!

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

His team wasn’t as good as we keep saying regarding Mayfield. And his arm strength wasn’t bad at all. He wasn’t drafted high bc of his size and system. Sound familiar?!?!

Dude, come on now.  And yes, his arm strength was/is bad.  It's inline with Pennington's.

7 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I've seen you post multiple times about these two specifically with a strong stance on Rosen over Mayfield.  I disagree and think it's way closer than you but that's not the point of this post.  I think Mayfield is far more advanced than you and personality aside if he was 2" inches taller I think he's the consensus best QB in this draft.

Anyway that wasn't the point of the post.  The question I have is you clearly love Rosen as do I so let me make that clear.  I have the ever so slight edge to Mayfield but love Rosen.  The reason I edge Mayfield over Rosen is pocket presence and injury concerns.  What are your thoughts on Rosen and his ability to stay healthy because if you told me he would be 100% healthy I'm running to the podium for him.  I just have serious reservations about that due to his slight frame (yes only 21 so it could improve) and his slow feet (not a major concern if he's smart with the football and get it out quickly ala Eli, Brady etc.).  

I just think that mix of slow feet, injury history and slight frame is a real issue for him when real NFL players come for him.  Thoughts?

Archived