Jets, Colts Swap 1st Round Picks

CWood21

12 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

You don't take a franchise RB over a franchise QB if you don't already have one. A franchise QB is way more important in the W/L column then a franchise RB. 

FIFY.

The one reason NYG might pass on QB is they think Eli is still their guy for 2+ years.  IMO they're dead wrong, he's well into his decline phase, but that's NYG's reasoning if they do pass.

11 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

You don't take a franchise RB over a franchise QB. A franchise QB is way more important in the W/L column then a franchise RB. 

Said franchise QB is going to be on the bench for a season. Unless the Giants cut Eli (which would be disasterous on their cap) or trade him.

Question - you guys are aware there is a 2nd round of the draft, right? And there will be QBs in that 2nd round, right? 

Unless you think Rosen/Darnold/Allen is the next Marino/Elway/Kelly, it's easy to justify not taking a QB at 2.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FIFY, seems obvious.  The one reason NYG might pass on QB is they think Eli is still theirs for 2+ years.  IMO they're dead wrong, but that's NYG's reasoning if they do pass.

Bingo. Eli is what Eli is - a middle of the road QB who is capable of winning games as well as losing games. Hasn't had a decent run game since 2005, right? He also gets Forrest Gump level proficient come playoff time, you'd have to look at Brady or Ben to find proficiency such as his come playoffs.

Give Eli a run game, give a rookie a chance to sit for the year and the Giants are set up for some positive things going forward.

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Said franchise QB is going to be on the bench for a season. Unless the Giants cut Eli (which would be disasterous on their cap) or trade him.

Question - you guys are aware there is a 2nd round of the draft, right? And there will be QBs in that 2nd round, right? 

Unless you think Rosen/Darnold/Allen is the next Marino/Elway/Kelly, it's easy to justify not taking a QB at 2.

I think they should take a QB after Cleveland takes one at one. Then the Jets should take a QB. Then Buffalo should trade up to four for a QB. 

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, that's the price of doing a deal now as opposed to during the draft.  The reality is that this offer (if Indianapolis hadn't accepted) was likely still there come April.  But the Jets are competing against other teams trying to maneuver up the board.  That's why a premium was paid.

Fair enough. There was a supply/demand thing going on here. Only a small amount of teams looking to deal that actually might take a QB high and more teams looking to move up

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I think they should take a QB after Cleveland takes one at one. Then the Jets should take a QB. Then Buffalo should trade up to four for a QB. 

Why though? Is there a significant difference between a guy like Josh Allen vs a guy like Mason Rudolph? If you're going to draft a guy to sit, would you rather sit a guy like Baker Mayfield or a guy like Lamar Jackson?

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably agree, but this Giants team has a functional QB, a QB that can win games. They haven't had a run game worth worrying about in over 10 years. 

4 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bingo. Eli is what Eli is - a middle of the road QB who is capable of winning games as well as losing games. Hasn't had a decent run game since 2005, right? He also gets Forrest Gump level proficient come playoff time, you'd have to look at Brady or Ben to find proficiency such as his come playoffs.

Give Eli a run game, give a rookie a chance to sit for the year and the Giants are set up for some positive things going forward.

I've made many a thread about this but how many times does a team take a QB in the 1st round and he sits a whole year? I'm sure the numbers are even worse if drafted Top-5. Just seems like teams the last decade are far less patient with QBs. I agree whoever they take should sit but i just dont think it happens. 

Edit: I think you meant outside the 1st round..my bad

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I've made many a thread about this but how many times does a team take a QB in the 1st round and he sits a whole year? I'm sure the numbers are even worse if drafted Top-5. Just seems like teams the last decade are far less patient with QBs. I agree whoever they take should sit but i just dont think it happens. 

Pat Mahomes just sat the whole year. I get that it's an anomaly - Chiefs didn't earn that top 10 pick, they had a QB as well as a great supporting cast.

One angle that I don't know has been explored on the Gmen and QB at 1.2 - the cap thinking for 2019+.

OBJ is asking for 20M a year.  Doubt he gets it, but at the minimum, he's going to set the new WR bar for 2019+.  So more than 18M (what Evans makes).  You already invested premium $ with Solder. 

Given that, the reason to get a QB now - Eli won't be your QB after this year.   And if he's not - then it makes total sense to have rookie wages in your QB so you can balance the roster's cap construction.   You already invested in WR & T with the top salaries.    You have to save the $ somewhere on O if you are going to have a balanced team down the line.  And there's nowhere where getting a 1st round rookie in the top 10 pays off more economically than QB.   Not to mention what a true franchise QB brings you.   If you invest in anyone but QB - you don't have nearly as much $$ gain in rookie vs. other salaries, especially in that option year (top 10 picks get paid a lot at the positions for 5th year, so do QB's, but the value gained is still greater if you've got your guy - paying Wentz/Goff 19M for year 5 is still a massive bargain, if you hit, more than any other position).

I think it's iffy to think Eli will be good for 2018, TBH.  But even if the Giants do, for 2019+ this is their opportunity to get their future guy to replace him - AND to balance the team's cap to fill out the rest of their team.   Next draft will be too late - because the rookies then will need time to develop, and frankly, next year's QB class just isn't as good as this year's - and usually, by now, we're singing the praises of next year's class, while pointing out all the warts the current class has.   The latter is happening for sure, but even then next year's class is underwhelming.  This is the year to strike, frankly if I don't strike early this year, I wait until 2020 to strike early on QB.

NYG's case is so fascinating - it's not just Eli vs. rookie, or Barkley vs. rookie, it's OBJ's contract + Solder's LT contract + QB rookie contract in 2019 vs. Eli + OBJ + LT.  And that's before you factor in Eli's age and declining play.

I can see what argument NYG will use if they don't go QB, though, they have Eli - I just don't agree with it, given the above.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Pat Mahomes just sat the whole year. I get that it's an anomaly - Chiefs didn't earn that top 10 pick, they had a QB as well as a great supporting cast.

Yea they were still in a win-now opportunity and so yea it is an anomaly of a situation. I think the # that were drafted 1st round who sat a whole year the last decade is probably less than 5

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Fair enough. There was a supply/demand thing going on here. Only a small amount of teams looking to deal that actually might take a QB high and more teams looking to move up

There's more teams who need a QB than there are available, that's the same thing every year.  Just in the top 5 alone, you've got Cleveland, New York (NFC), New York (AFC), and Denver who all could be in the market.  Than in that 10-16 range you have Miami, Buffalo, and Arizona who could all have varying levels of interest.  And that's not including any of the teams who are in that playoff team range that are looking for their QB of the future.

Archived